The Student Room Group

Should we be able to torture our pets?

Poll

Should it be a crime to torture animals

Does anybody on this board defend, as part of their liberty to do as they wish with their property, their right to torture their pets.

(or)

do we believe it's commonsensical and unthinkable to torture our pets

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Property?

There's a difference between living beings that breath and feel and inanimate objects.
In answering the question, I say no.
Reply 3
Matthew2007
Property?

There's a difference between living beings that breath and feel and inanimate objects.

My apologies - I do agree. I was speaking from a crude Libertarian perspective.
Reply 4
It's a bit confusing that the title asks one question, and the poll asks the opposite question. Might get people accidentally ticking the wrong box. I nearly did, but luckily I realised they were different before I had people slating me for being an animal abuser :p:.
Reply 5
I don't consider pets to be property, more similar to children in that once you have them you have a duty of care to them.

For that reason i also disagree with selling and buying of animals for profit, granted there is a situation of supply and demand for pets but i think pets should be only exchanged for what that animal has cost the owner to raise.
Reply 6
You sick bastad- how can it possibly be alright to torture pets?!?
Why would anyone want to do that...
lol, funniest thread ever. and a real thinker actually..
Reply 9
^ I agree with Zebedee.

I don't see the torture of pets as being justifiable in any way. You can class them as being under your 'ownership' so to speak, in that it is your responsibility to care and provide for them, but because they are living, thinking, breathing things I don't think they should be classified in the same way as other non-living objects in your possession.

h82think... he wasn't necessarily implying that he think's it's okay to torture pets, merely asking if anyone holds the opinion that it is. I think (or at least, I hope!) that most of us here are a nice bunch and would only treat our pets with kindness (even though my budgie would taste mighty fine with a dollop of ketchup and maybe a little seasoning, mm)
h82think
You sick bastad- how can it possibly be alright to torture pets?!?

He was asking a question. He said he doesnt believe it himself. It is not sick to ask questions of things.
What's the difference between torturing a pet and allowing animals to kill eachother in the wild? What difference is one tiny amount of suffering going to make in the scheme of things?
Seanisonfire
He was asking a question. He said he doesnt believe it himself. It is not sick to ask questions of things.

Indeed
Depends whether you afford animals any rights.
Why would you want the right to torture a pet? They are living, breathing beings. When you take them on you take on the duty to care for them just like you do a child.
Reply 15
Pets are something you have a responsibility for, like children.

Torturing a pet is as evil as torturing a child.
But then you could say eating meat is the same as eating a child :hmmmm:
Reply 17
who on earth has voted that it's ok to torture their pet?

My doggy is too cute to be punished, even with a harsh voice :biggrin:
Reply 18
only nihilism
What's the difference between torturing a pet and allowing animals to kill eachother in the wild? What difference is one tiny amount of suffering going to make in the scheme of things?

Quite a bit to the animal in question.
I dont think anything in this world could shock me anymore but i still can't understand what would posess people to do things like that to animals.
Reply 19
Seanisonfire
But then you could say eating meat is the same as eating a child :hmmmm:

I would apply the same logic to domestic animals like cows, we only kill them to eat them and we have to do that to survive. But in the process we should treat them as humanely as possible.

I personally think that profit and animal wellfare just do not mix well, because inevitably some people sacrifice wellfare for profit.

Latest

Trending

Trending