The Student Room Group

Can i join the British Army with criminal records?

Hi there. Just wanted to ask if i can join with a criminal record.
I was a past drug user and because of my drug habit at the time committed shoplifting offences a few times. Non of the offences were of a value of more then 100 pound. I was referred to a drugs and alcohol treatment center by the court and also did probation for 1 years. All this was nearly 3 years ago.

At the moment i do construction jobs for an agency but wanted something permanent. I've also been clean for more then 2 years.

I would really appreciate any answers.

Thanks!
Original post by Akmx92

The Army tend to be more lenient than the other Services. You will need to go to the AFCO with all your details/dates etc and ask them. Depending on circumstances sometimes it's a straight No, other times it depends on the time interval since the criminal activity. You will have to ask them directly.

There may be an issue that you say the crime was 3 years ago, but you've been clean for 2 years. It may seem old-fashioned, but often the Armed Forces view drug taking as much more serious than say a criminal record gained from a drunken bar fight. So the fact you seem to have gone back to drug using is perhaps more of a problem.
The army doesnt just except anyone so make sure you tighten up youre record
From the Army website:
Some convictions are forgotten or ‘spent’ after a rehabilitation period. The length of this period depends on the offence. You must tell us about any unspent convictions you have. For some jobs you’ll need to tell us about any convictions when you apply, whether spent or not. You need to be honest if you hide a conviction before joining up, you could be prosecuted later.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-guidance-on-the-rehabilitation-of-offenders-act-1974https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-guidance-on-the-rehabilitation-of-offenders-act-1974
Reply 4
Hello, I am doing a paper on a pathway for recruitment of offenders into the military. I would be interested to hear if those here that wanted to join but had unspent convictions and 'history' eventually managed to join up or was unsuccessful. I would be really interested to know how your case was handled, did you not bother because you wasn't sure if you would be turned down or not or did they take you on and ignore your unspent conviction?
I want to join but my conviction is unspent
JSP 950 MEDICAL POLICY LEAFLET 6-7-7 "JOINT SERVICE MANUAL OF MEDICAL FITNESS" - the medical manual for assesing fitness, https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/862771/response/2044851/attach/5/20211216%20JSP%20950%20Lft%206%207%207%20JSMMF%20v2.1%20Dec%2021.pdf
Drugs
Candidates with current drug related health problems are UNFIT. Before accepting anyone with a previous history of drug-related health problems, referral to the single Service occupational physician responsible for Service entry is recommended as the risk of relapse must be carefully considered.

a. Candidates in whom there is evidence of drug dependence in the 3 years prior to application are normally UNFIT. If there is unequivocal evidence from an addiction clinic that the candidate has been clean for more than 3 years prior to application then recruitment may be permitted.
b. Candidates that have been diagnosed with harmful use of drugs not amounting to drug dependence in the 2 years prior to application are normally UNFIT. If there is good evidence in the candidate’s medical history that the individual has been clean3 and symptom free for more than 2 years prior to application with no ongoing treatment, then recruitment may be permitted.
c. A history of infrequent recreational use without evidence of damage to health is not a medical bar to entry.

You will of course be expected to take random drug tests, and can be dismissed from service if found positive.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest