Shania_badri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Does anyone know the difference between biological science and biomedical science.?
I am a student from india (currently in the 12th grade) who wants to go abroad to study medicine to become a doctor.
I have been running pillar to post with my poor mom from one education consultant to another.
I would like to complete my undergraduate studies in the uk and then transfer to the US for postgraduation. And for that ill have to give a medical entrance exam in USA. For that which course is better that would help me prepare for it? Biological science or biomedical science.
A consultant said that biomedical science of 3 yrs and a diploma course in something would be great but another consultant is talking about choosing biological science of 4 yrs. which one is better?
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Shania_badri)
Does anyone know the difference between biological science and biomedical science.?
I am a student from india (currently in the 12th grade) who wants to go abroad to study medicine to become a doctor.
I have been running pillar to post with my poor mom from one education consultant to another.
I would like to complete my undergraduate studies in the uk and then transfer to the US for postgraduation. And for that ill have to give a medical entrance exam in USA. For that which course is better that would help me prepare for it? Biological science or biomedical science.
A consultant said that biomedical science of 3 yrs and a diploma course in something would be great but another consultant is talking about choosing biological science of 4 yrs. which one is better?
Biomedical sciences deals with the Human Body. Biological Sciences is basically Biology, so you cover other aspects of Biology too.

However, if you are thinking of studying Medicine in the US, I think it would be best for you to do your undergrad there. It is very competitive for international students and from what I understand, many Med Schools there require you to have completed at least some portion (if not all) of your undergrad in the US.
QuentinM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Shania_badri)
Doesnt sound familiar to the UK situation. In the UK, virtually all Bachelor degrees are 3 years as standard. This is different to a lot of places I know-which are 4 years, or three years with an optional fourth if you want an honours degree....i dunno. In the UK, its three years, and you graduate with Honours with a bachelors degree.

You can do four years, but this would involve a "placement year". For biomed/biological sciences, this is 1 year in a lab-this can be in a hospital lab if you choose right-working on a research project for that whole year, pretty much. This would be useful for postgrad medicine, but i think theres a lot more useful stuff you could do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (1)
11.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (2)
22.22%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (1)
11.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (4)
44.44%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (1)
11.11%

Watched Threads