The Student Room Group

Parents' Learning Allowance

I read somewhere that the Parents' Learning Allowance only apply if you are studying for your first higher qualification, is this correct?

I have a HND, completed 2003 (no children then), and I will be studying for a BA top-up course this year (two children now).
Hi Aysheas, you can still apply for the Parent Learning Allowance (PLA). Thanks
Reply 2
Ok. Not sure how though. Can't see anything when I login into Student Finance and I don't think I recieved any information/forms to fill in. Do I need to ring and ask to apply?
Hi, if you call (0300) 100 0607 we can check your specific account. You may not have applied to be income assessed. Thanks
Reply 4
I called and got to search google for either student finance dependants form or grant. Didn't have a pen so couldn't write it down. And then fill in the form that I find on Google.

Searched for both and all it brings up is adult dependants not children.

Not sure why ever time I have an issue with SF I have to call them several times before getting something resolved/information I need.

Just had a call back can't get the allowance or help with childcare costs. Wish I had know about the childcare one.
Original post by AysheaS
I called and got to search google for either student finance dependants form or grant. Didn't have a pen so couldn't write it down. And then fill in the form that I find on Google.

Searched for both and all it brings up is adult dependants not children.

Not sure why ever time I have an issue with SF I have to call them several times before getting something resolved/information I need.

Just had a call back can't get the allowance or help with childcare costs. Wish I had know about the childcare one.

Hi AysheaS

This is the form http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/dependants-grants.aspx

It brings up adult dependents as well because parents learning allowance,childcare, adult dependent grant all fall under one category called grands for dependents and when you complete the form you are assessed on all GFD's and are awarded what you are eligible for.
Reply 6
Original post by murpo
Hi AysheaS

This is the form http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/dependants-grants.aspx

It brings up adult dependents as well because parents learning allowance,childcare, adult dependent grant all fall under one category called grands for dependents and when you complete the form you are assessed on all GFD's and are awarded what you are eligible for.

Thanks but I've been told I can't any other help financially other than the normal student living cost loan and course fees.

Like a lot of things I don't qualify because husband earns too much (around 28k a year). Just makes it that bit harder studying with two kids. I will just have to use my youngest's 15 free hours wisely.
Original post by AysheaS
Thanks but I've been told I can't any other help financially other than the normal student living cost loan and course fees.

Like a lot of things I don't qualify because husband earns too much (around 28k a year). Just makes it that bit harder studying with two kids. I will just have to use my youngest's 15 free hours wisely.

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried speaking to your university to see if they will offer any extra support?
Reply 8
No, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks. I will contact them (its a HE college just to add).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending