username1658559
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am about to read The Concept of Law (Third Edition) as prep for my uni application. As a sixth form pupil reading a book that's on the reading list for second year Oxford law students, please could you offer some guidance about what arguments Hart puts forward in the book and any guidance regarding the book as a whole so I can get a feel of the themes in general before I read it...

Also, is it worth reading the editor's notes at the start as that seems to be quite long!

Thanks!!
username1658559
Rep:
?
And I get the feeling you're a n*bhead

I've not started the book and was asking for help in case it's a very difficult read. As I've not began reading it yet, and was asking in case I struggle, I wasn't bragging. I was merely pointing out that I'm in sixth form so people could tailor their responses around the fact I've not studied law yet

Nice try though, pal
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am reading a book for second-year law students at Oxford and I am just a sixth former. Not bragging though.

If you have an actual question, giz a bell.
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by oli19919)
I am about to read The Concept of Law (Third Edition) as prep for my uni application. As a sixth form pupil reading a book that's on the reading list for second year Oxford law students, please could you offer some guidance about what arguments Hart puts forward in the book and any guidance regarding the book as a whole so I can get a feel of the themes in general before I read it...

Also, is it worth reading the editor's notes at the start as that seems to be quite long!

Thanks!!
There are plenty of summaries out there, which would facilitate in understanding the basic argument in each chapter. It's difficult to summarise the book as a whole since he deals with issues separately. I personally found this useful - http://www.academia.edu/6705968/H_L_...ters_2_3_4_5_6

There are many more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1658559
Rep:
?
(Original post by _Fergo)
There are plenty of summaries out there, which would facilitate in understanding the basic argument in each chapter. It's difficult to summarise the book as a whole since he deals with issues separately. I personally found this useful - http://www.academia.edu/6705968/H_L_...ters_2_3_4_5_6

There are many more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thank you very much!
matty1356
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by oli19919)
And I get the feeling you're a n*bhead

I've not started the book and was asking for help in case it's a very difficult read. As I've not began reading it yet, and was asking in case I struggle, I wasn't bragging. I was merely pointing out that I'm in sixth form so people could tailor their responses around the fact I've not studied law yet

Nice try though, pal
You sound like a n*bhead
username1658559
Rep:
?
(Original post by matty1356)
You sound like a n*bhead
Tbf I do care about your opinion...
Estreth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Obviously if you want a precis of the book before you start, then read the editor's introduction!!
flying plum
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For what it's worth, extracts from Hart are often first year reading in Understanding Law-type classes, so you're not reading that high above your education level. As for asking what it's about before you read it...nothing will be more frustrating to your university tutor if you turn up to an office hour and ask them to explain something to you when you've not tried to read it first. Have a go at reading the first chapter, and then read it again. If you are confused about something specifically, then ask questions. If you are nervous about jumping straight into Hart, try reading an introduction to jurisprudence-type text first.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (22)
15.6%
No one else does (49)
34.75%
I'm embarrassed about my background (16)
11.35%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (46)
32.62%
We don't use a video platform (2)
1.42%
I don't have a camera (2)
1.42%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
2.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed