markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My son has already used up two years of his Higher Education funding on a HND at college with the Student Loans Company via Student Finance in Northern Ireland. He has two years of funding left. He wants to start in the first year at Uni on a different course to what his HND was in but will have to pay the first years tuition fees and accommodation fees himself. Then I found out about the Advanced Learner Loan, and was wondering if people thought he would be eligible to apply for this to fund the first year at Uni plus accommodation fees as well. [ So about £18,000]. He would be studying at a University in England. Or even if eligible, do you only get a loan to pay the tuition fees, not the accommodation too?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by markova21)
My son has already used up two years of his Higher Education funding on a HND at college with the Student Loans Company via Student Finance in Northern Ireland. He has two years of funding left. He wants to start in the first year at Uni on a different course to what his HND was in but will have to pay the first years tuition fees and accommodation fees himself. Then I found out about the Advanced Learner Loan, and was wondering if people thought he would be eligible to apply for this to fund the first year at Uni plus accommodation fees as well. [ So about £18,000]. He would be studying at a University in England. Or even if eligible, do you only get a loan to pay the tuition fees, not the accommodation too?
I think, advanced learner loans only cover tuition fees for vocational courses or level 3 courses. They won't cover maintainance otherwise they ve left a very obvious loophole in the system. Is 2nd year entry not an option for him?
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good afternoon

He would have to be studying in England to apply for the Advanced Learner Loan

It's for

A levels, level 3 and 4 certifcates/diploma, access to higher education courses and level 5/6 vocational qualifications - it wouldn't fund any higher education course.

Tuition fee loan only, no maintenance loan.

(typing for mobile, sorry for any grammar mistakes)
Ryan SFE
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi markova, the Advanced Learning Loan is for lower level courses only, for example access courses. Thanks
markova21
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
I think, advanced learner loans only cover tuition fees for vocational courses or level 3 courses. They won't cover maintainance otherwise they ve left a very obvious loophole in the system. Is 2nd year entry not an option for him?
Hi Claire. I think it said they cover Level 3,4, 5, or 6 courses. But maybe whatever level it is you still have to be studying it in a college then. He doesn't want to go directly into the second year even though he will get full funding and accommodation paid, because he won't know anyone. They will all have started the year before him. He had a horrible time on the last year of his HND. All his friends left after the first year and the ones left on the course completely ignored him for the entire year. He said he never wants to go through that again and would rather never go to uni than experience what he experienced. He wants to start over in the first year at the same time as everyone else.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Claire. I think it said they cover Level 3,4, 5, or 6 courses. But maybe whatever level it is you still have to be studying it in a college then. He doesn't want to go directly into the second year even though he will get full funding and accommodation paid, because he won't know anyone. They will all have started the year before him. He had a horrible time on the last year of his HND. All his friends left after the first year and the ones left on the course completely ignored him for the entire year. He said he never wants to go through that again and would rather never go to uni than experience what he experienced. He wants to start over in the first year at the same time as everyone else.
From what I can tell it has to be college based, there isn't a way round having just two years left unless he took out a private loan realistically. I ve known three people go into second year of courses because of funding so I m pretty sure there isn't another option I m afraid.
markova21
Rep:
?
From what I can tell it has to be college based, there isn't a way round having just two years left unless he took out a private loan realistically. I ve known three people go into second year of courses because of funding so I m pretty sure there isn't another option I m afraid.
Thanks anyway Claire. I could cry.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks anyway Claire. I could cry.
If he's refusing to start from second year, he can always get a credit transfer to study with open university so that he gets a degree but doesnt physically attend university.
markova21
Rep:
?
If he's refusing to start from second year, he can always get a credit transfer to study with open university so that he gets a degree but doesnt physically attend university.
I know, and i've told him this. But he seems to be under the impression the OU is really lame. I've also told him that beggars can't be choosers. EDIT. That's not entirely accurate. He wants to meet people, get a girlfriend maybe , have a social life. He doesn't think meeting people once a week for a couple of hours will be the same.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know, and i've told him this. But he seems to be under the impression the OU is really lame. I've also told him that beggars can't be choosers.
Before I got my current job I looked into Open university and it was a good compromise for me to finish a degree off. Hopefully, he ll understand in time that beggars really can't be choosers in this situation.
markova21
Rep:
?
Before I got my current job I looked into Open university and it was a good compromise for me to finish a degree off. Hopefully, he ll understand in time that beggars really can't be choosers in this situation.
Exactly !! I even looked into courses down south in the Republic, at Institutes of Technology. Fees are only around 700 Euros a year plus a contribution of 3,000 Euros a year. If he studied in Dundalk, it's only down the road from us and he could come home every evening. But he wants to study in England and have the full "Uni experience". Anyone know any good banks to rob? [ Joke ].
markova21
Rep:
?
Anyway, for now, he's just applied to the local college to study the one year Level 3 Diploma in Children's Care, Learning and Development. It will allow him to get a job as a Teaching Assistant. He said if he has to save up the full first years tuition and accommodation himself he will do. He has over 300 hours work experience in a local primary school over two years and loved every minute of it. He would love to be a primary school teacher. I said if you finished off the last two years of the Health and Social Care degree you could try and get on a PGCE after it. But at this stage he's sick to death of Health and Social Care. He's been studying it for four years straight and needs a break from it. It would make life so much easier if he were to just bloody well go into year two and have done with it. Kids sometimes, I don't know.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyway, for now, he's just applied to the local college to study the one year Level 3 Diploma in Children's Care, Learning and Development. It will allow him to get a job as a Teaching Assistant. He said if he has to save up the full first years tuition and accommodation himself he will do. He has over 300 hours work experience in a local primary school over two years and loved every minute of it. He would love to be a primary school teacher. I said if you finished off the last two years of the Health and Social Care degree you could try and get on a PGCE after it. But at this stage he's sick to death of Health and Social Care. He's been studying it for four years straight and needs a break from it. It would make life so much easier if he were to just bloody well go into year two and have done with it. Kids sometimes, I don't know.
Has he checked if there's a way of going into being a teaching assistant without going down the uni route? We do have an education and teaching forum on here and I'm sure someone can advise you on that.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
He could easily do a pgce if he just did the one year, i m not the youngest mentally but i would just stick it out for a year if i had to. I suppose he'll have plenty of experience to do a pgce with in the end.
markova21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
Has he checked if there's a way of going into being a teaching assistant without going down the uni route? We do have an education and teaching forum on here and I'm sure someone can advise you on that.
Thanks. Yes, he only needs this Level 3 qualification to be a Teaching Assistant. As he is currently claiming Jobseeker's Allowance too, the fees are reduced from over £500 to £120 and another £100 for the exam. So I told him he was right to take advantage of being unemployed while he still is.
markova21
Rep:
?
He hopes to study the course part time and get a part time job, if possible.
markova21
Rep:
?
He could easily do a pgce if he just did the one year, i m not the youngest mentally but i would just stick it out for a year if i had to. I suppose he'll have plenty of experience to do a pgce with in the end.
The annoying thing is, the BTEC Level 5 HND Diploma in Health and Social Care also had written next to the title 120+ meaning it was only equivalent to the first year of Undergraduate study. It's been a complete rip off; two years of study [ HNC then HND] and the whole thing is only equal to one year at Uni. If he only had one year at Uni to do it wouldn't be too bad. But he would be going into the second year with this particular HND not the last year. Oh, and the fees were £2,500 a year for the two year course. I think it's a bit unfair they are saying he has "Used up two years of Higher Education Funding" when compared to most other people that funding was such a small amount.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The annoying thing is, the BTEC Level 5 HND Diploma in Health and Social Care also had written next to the title 120+ meaning it was only equivalent to the first year of Undergraduate study. It's been a complete rip off; two years of study [ HNC then HND] and the whole thing is only equal to one year at Uni. If he only had one year at Uni to do it wouldn't be too bad. But he would be going into the second year with this particular HND not the last year. Oh, and the fees were £2,500 a year for the two year course. I think it's a bit unfair they are saying he has "Used up two years of Higher Education Funding" when compared to most other people that funding was such a small amount.
Something about that doesnt seem right, it should only be certificated as a level 4 in that case surely?
markova21
Rep:
?
Something about that doesnt seem right, it should only be certificated as a level 4 in that case surely?
I know, right? They didn't include enough modules for it to be worth two years of undergraduate study. When people found out half the class quit. Sean should have done so too. But he wasn't 100 percent certain he was ever going to want to go to uni. I said don't you dare leave with just a poxy HNC as it's practically worthless. So I kind of nagged him to go and do the second year. Looking on the Edexcel/Pearson website the actual course he studied isn't even listed. This 120 Plus thing. When they were all filling in their UCAS forms and they had to give the actual course code the college had the code written down on a piece of paper for them all to copy down. It doesn't exist on any official BTEC/Pearson? Edexcel things. Obviously it's accredited, as he wouldn't have been offered 4 Uni places with it. But even so. The college had to abandon the course as so many people left. Sean and his classmates asked why they couldn't change over to this Foundation Degree which is starting in September for newcomers, and IS worth a full 2 years. But they were told it would be completely different and there just wouldn't be time to start it from scratch.
markova21
Rep:
?
He received his Level 4 Certificate last year. At the bottom it said this is only part of the qualification and the full qualification is given [ awarded] upon completion next year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (215)
33.81%
No (421)
66.19%

Watched Threads