How many hours do you put in for a Graphic Design degree?

Watch
AysheaS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How many time-tabled hours do you do and how many extra? Especially how many you put in for the final year.

Just wondering as I'm trying to make plans, only just found out I won't get help with childcare costs and I'm studying a top-up course to turn my HND into a degree.

I can't remember how many hours was stated for the course right now so I will have to find that out. But I know you always end up putting more hours in that what is scheduled and just don't know how many because I finished my HND in 2003 so I have no memory of many hours I put in.
CrazyKittenLady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I put in a lot of hours I would say about 40-50 hours a week. but I worked mainly from home and fit it in with my schedule. I only had to be in uni for the odd lecture once a week for a hour. and project briefings, hand ins and 1-2-1's. Hopefully your course will be flexible for your childcare needs x
AysheaS
Rep:
?
(Original post by CrazyKittenLady)
I put in a lot of hours I would say about 40-50 hours a week. but I worked mainly from home and fit it in with my schedule. I only had to be in uni for the odd lecture once a week for a hour. and project briefings, hand ins and 1-2-1's. Hopefully your course will be flexible for your childcare needs x
They did say they would be flexible.

The HE college have said the course hours will be around 14, still no confirmed timetable yet.

I am worrying a bit about the hours needed for the course. I asked on some Graphic Design Facebook groups too, responses have been similiar hours as you've qouted.

I did ask the course lecturer about how many hours he thinks pupils put in outside of the course but he said he didn't know.

I went to the course exhibition on what should have been industry night so the pupils would have been there. Could have asked them but turns out the college put the wrong night on FB!

I don't think there is a way I can manage 40-50 a week. I think I might have to speak to the college again. The lecturers are on annual leave at the moment.
CrazyKittenLady
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AysheaS)
They did say they would be flexible.

The HE college have said the course hours will be around 14, still no confirmed timetable yet.

I am worrying a bit about the hours needed for the course. I asked on some Graphic Design Facebook groups too, responses have been similiar hours as you've qouted.

I did ask the course lecturer about how many hours he thinks pupils put in outside of the course but he said he didn't know.

I went to the course exhibition on what should have been industry night so the pupils would have been there. Could have asked them but turns out the college put the wrong night on FB!

I don't think there is a way I can manage 40-50 a week. I think I might have to speak to the college again. The lecturers are on annual leave at the moment.
I think the hours people put in are very personal to how you found the course I really struggled so put in lots of hours plus I had the time. You seem really focused so I reckon you could get away will putting in less hours because that time is more precious to you. You could always have a look at open university courses or part time courses if you are really worried x
AysheaS
Rep:
?
(Original post by CrazyKittenLady)
I think the hours people put in are very personal to how you found the course I really struggled so put in lots of hours plus I had the time. You seem really focused so I reckon you could get away will putting in less hours because that time is more precious to you. You could always have a look at open university courses or part time courses if you are really worried x
Well the last part is a problem.

I have a HND from 2003 and both Sheffield Hallam and the Open University won't accept it has it is too long ago.

My choices were either start from scratch as in study a 3 year degree but I only get student loans for 2 of those so I have to pay over £9000 tuition fees for a year for somewhere like Shef Hallam. Less for OU but still a lot of money to find.

Or this top-up course I found as they will accept my HND. Not sure if they would allow me to study part-time. I'm going to see if I can find out when the lecturers are coming back so I can speak to them.
CrazyKittenLady
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
that sounds really expensive? Why do you feel like you need to top up your degree to be a Full BA? Maybe your time would be better spent applying for junior design postitions and work you way up by getting hands on experience rather than academic. You could always try a junior/freelance direction this year and if you are getting know where than you can apply to uni. Personally I have learnt so much more from working as a Graphic designer than I ever learnt during my course. I got the job I am currently in (Graphic design for The Student Room) mainly by showing my portfolio for freelance design work that I did alongside my BA degree. Rather than the degree its self or any of the project work I did for it, this was because my employer was looking for more practical skills.

What sort of design did you want to go in to ? I am a in house designer which is really great because I have a secure income every month and always end up doing lots of different projects
AysheaS
Rep:
?
Back when I graduated with my HND I tried to get a job, and tried, and tried... Never happened and ended up working in a call centre.

I just could never land a job as a Graphic Designer, could get interviews. Had plenty in fact but couldn't get past the interview stage. I realised after several years of trying that it wasn't going to happen.

I think I don't have what* it takes. *Whatever that is I don't know.

But I'm missing something. If I had it I'm sure I would have landed a job.

It was hard to give up on it as it was my dream job but I realised that it was hurting my self-esteem and it was better to put the idea to bed.

Anyway, because I'm topping it up I can get a student loan to cover the fees. The problem is if i wanted to do a degree for scratch.

I now want to become a Teacher and I can't do a PGCE with a HND, I need a degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.1%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.13%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (77)
28.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.47%

Watched Threads