The Student Room Group

Graduate salary cap may rise from £21,000

From The Telegraph:

The £21,000 graduate salary cap which triggers student loan repayments could be raised after it emerged ministers are looking at making the system fairer.

Ministers are under pressure to lift the £21,000 threshold and link it to inflation or earnings after which payments are made to pay back student loans amid growing concern about graduate debt levels.

One option being considered is to increase the threshold either by inflation or by linking it to average earnings.

Another option is to cut the looming 6.1 per cent interest rate on student loans after a report found graduates were leaving university with debts of tens of thousands of pounds.

When student loan system was launched in 2012 it was agreed that former students would not start to repay fees until they earned more than £21,000 a year.

Ministers also pledged that from April 2017 the £21,000 figure would be increased annually in line with average earnings.

But George Osborne, the former Chancellor, decided in November 2015 that the cap would be frozen at £21,000 for five years until April 2021 sparking concern from student groups.
Conservative ministers have told The Telegraph that the threshold should be “at the very least” linked to inflation so that it increases over the years.

All I can say is it's about time. I don't see how it's acceptable to freeze the threshold so that it can be depleted away by inflation (£21k now was only worth £18.5k when the threshold was set). And the interest rates are extortionate - 6.1%?! How can a government financed loan have a rate so greatly exceeding inflation? Osborne robbed students when he went back on his promise to raise the threshold along with earnings.

Scroll to see replies

Considering a lot of student loan isn't paid back anyway, even less so the full amount, I wonder what the effects of this will be.

Spoiler

Could be raised? Well, that's uncommonly generous of them.

Their promises and pledges are meaningless, they've already broken faith with students, why should we believe them this time? If they were serious about making things fairer for students they would cut the grossly unfair interest rate, and change the law to make it illegal for future governments to retrospectively change the terms of student loans.
Original post by Snufkin

Their promises and pledges are meaningless, they've already broken faith with students, why should we believe them this time? If they were serious about making things fairer for students they would cut the grossly unfair interest rate, and change the law to make it illegal for future governments to retrospectively change the terms of student loans.

Do not bite the hand which feeds you, if you were treated fairly the universities would set their own fees and your student loan would be secured on your assets.
Original post by Ode to Joy
You're getting a loan which is written off, for which your personal assets are not collateral and university tuition fees are artificially capped and you are still not satisfied.

If only our generation knew struggle.

well, previous generations had their university education either completely catered for and free or for far less than we have to pay.
so stop with the condescension when it is our generation above prior ones that have been ****ed the most, even if our predicament isn't disastrous.
Original post by MedicaAutomata
Considering a lot of student loan isn't paid back anyway, even less so the full amount, I wonder what the effects of this will be.

Spoiler

If the threshold rises with earnings then i don't see why any cuts are necessary. loan repayments won't fall they will just remain stable rather than increase. if earnings rise, tax revenues rise anyway. freezing the repayment threshold was just a money grab.
Original post by Snufkin

I don't know if I believe them bc

1. No named cabinet minister is named
2. They only say they will 'consider' it
3. They don't care about students/young people anyway

I just really hope it's true, but I guess I should know better than to put my faith in the government. And that interest rate is sick. How can they charge us 6.1%, that's even higher than market rates.
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
If the threshold rises with earnings then i don't see why any cuts are necessary. loan repayments won't fall they will just remain stable rather than increase. if earnings rise, tax revenues rise anyway. freezing the repayment threshold was just a money grab.

They probably aren't necessary, I could just imagine the government saying "well, raising the cap means we're getting even less student loan money back. Let's make up the difference in cuts to another sector".

I don't know man, I'm just a poor Irish that wants to look at planets for 4 years. They're gonna charge me loads anyway by some method or another :tongue:
I don't know if I believe them bc

1. No named cabinet minister is named
2. They only say they will 'consider' it
3. They don't care about students/young people anyway

I just really hope it's true, but I guess I should know better than to put my faith in the government. And that interest rate is sick. How can they charge us 6.1%, that's even higher than market rates.

Generally, no name means it's not going to happen.

Are you studying in the UK then? I thought you were going to Yale/Columbia.
Original post by Snufkin
Generally, no name means it's not going to happen.

Are you studying in the UK then? I thought you were going to Yale/Columbia.

I decided on Cambridge and if I miss my offer Yale.
I decided on Cambridge and if I miss my offer Yale.

Good decision. :yep:
Original post by Snufkin
and change the law to make it illegal for future governments to retrospectively change the terms of student loans.

No government is bound by the laws of a previous.
Original post by Ezisola
No government is bound by the laws of a previous.

True, but it would be harder (and much more public) to try and change the rules if they had to legislate.
Original post by Snufkin
True, but it would be harder (and much more public) to try and change the rules if they had to legislate.

Idealistic at best, unlikely to fail a vote with a majority government.

Despite what Jeremy may think, the older middle class and pensioners continue to vote in overwhelming numbers. I doubt they would be keen to see front line services cut in exchange for reduced student loan repayments. Note* Im not saying that the money goes to front line services anyway, but thats how a government would paint it if required.

Frankly the interest rate is irrelevant. Accept that attending university requires you to pay 9% extra tax for the rest of your working life and base your decision to attend or not on that.
Original post by Ezisola

Despite what Jeremy may think, the older middle class and pensioners continue to vote in overwhelming numbers. I doubt they would be keen to see front line services cut in exchange for reduced student loan repayments. Note* Im not saying that the money goes to front line services anyway, but thats how a government would paint it if required.

Frankly the interest rate is irrelevant. Accept that attending university requires you to pay 9% extra tax for the rest of your working life and base your decision to attend or not on that.

the 9% repayment is also too high. It creates crazily high marginal tax rates. it's just like a really expensive graduate tax.
the 9% repayment is also too high. It creates crazily high marginal tax rates. it's just like a really expensive graduate tax.

Seems like a fair marginal tax rate given it sat between the 20 and 40% tax rate boundaries, where else would you put it?

And expensive is a matter of opinion. If you think university is going to result in a job paying more than 9% then it is a good investment.
Original post by Ezisola

Idealistic? I don't think so, that's the nature of politics - legislation means more media attention, more pressure to vote against, and because the Tories had a small majority in 2015, I doubt Osbourne would have attempted to do it.

The interest rate is nor irrelevant. Why should students have to pay interest at all, let alone 6.1%?
Original post by Snufkin
Why should students have to pay interest at all, let alone 6.1%?

Why should students not have to pay interest on money they chose to borrow and which will primarily benefit themselves?
Original post by Ezisola
Seems like a fair marginal tax rate given it sat between the 20 and 40% tax rate boundaries, where else would you put it?

And expensive is a matter of opinion. If you think university is going to result in a job paying more than 9% then it is a good investment.

Yeah if you're on 20% for the rest of you life. Its not going to take very long to hit £45k as a professional, esp. in London, and then be paying a marginal rate of 49%, basically half, while someone on £200k who graduated before 2012 is only paying 45%. I'd say it should be around 5%. At least that way a middle income graduate isn't going to be paying more than the mega-rich.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah if you're on 20% for the rest of you life. Its not going to take very long to hit £45k as a professional, esp. in London, and then be paying a marginal rate of 49%.

On money you borrowed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending