The Student Room Group

Shaking when drinking?

Hey,

So basically when I was 19, I (as many students do) had a bit of a problem with alcohol, drinking to the point where I was throwing up every day, even if I hadn't necessarily drunk, the night before. I stopped drinking after 7 months of unhealthy drinking habits and rarely drunk after to the point that I stopped drinking all together.

After a while I became comfortable having the odd drink, often over drinking while trying to work out my limits, but it was rare and I felt no desire to drink until the next occasion. For some reason I find whenever I drink more than one drink, I will shake later that night. And they become more violent the more I drink, even when I am asleep (according to my partner). Does anyone know why this happens?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Haha I'm 19 now and I have a drinking problem, it's not as bad as it used to be though. And yes I regularly started slightly shaking the next few days after excessive drinking, I spoke to my GP about it and he told me that alcohol messes about with your nerves, and shaking is a sign of alcohol withdrawal. To get rid of it, simply all I did was force myself to cut down on the drinking, however every time I do drink now, even if its not that much, the next morning or sometimes even as I'm drunk i slightly tremble.
It's possible that your body has now identified alcohol as a potent toxin that always leaves you ill and vomiting that it has lowered the threshold for alcoholic symptoms so much so that a simple glass is able to produce the shakes.

Basically your body is trying to help you stay away, you'll do well to listen to it.
What is your diet like? Do you look after yourself?

Alcoholic beverages are usually full of sugar and, if you don't eat the next day because you feel rough, you could just be crashing.

This can be reasonably normal. AFAIK - Alcoholism requires something like 180 days continuous drinking as part of the diagnostic criteria. If you were having DTs you'd know about it!

Quick Reply

Latest