IBS sufferers

Watch
Kittenz999
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Just wondering if anybody else is young and dealing with IBS. I find my so hard to handle sometimes. I was just wondering what others experiences are with, what help and what triggers theirs
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittenz999)
Just wondering if anybody else is young and dealing with IBS. I find my so hard to handle sometimes. I was just wondering what others experiences are with, what help and what triggers theirs
Mine isn't an issue a lot of the time and just gives me a little bit of discomfort, but occasionally it flares up and I have no idea why.
For the most part I can manage mine with peppermint tablets and some mint sweets. Peppermint tablets (or tea etc) are amazing for IBS pains btw.

A good way to work out what triggers you is to keep a food diary and note down any flare ups along with what you've been eating. It can also help to go on an exclusion diet (cut out possible triggers for a few weeks and slowly re-introduce things one by one. If you feel better then get worse when something is re-introduced you have your culprit).
Kittenz999
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Brilliant. I will try peppermint for my pains. I find sometimes I'm constipated and sometimes I just can't stop going to the toilet. Anxiety seems to bring it on a lot though, like when I'm getting ready for a driving lesson
EmilyLouiseR
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Anxiety is what triggered mine off. Horrible. I was prescribed fybodrol sachet. Its a orange flavor and you just mixed it with water and drank it. That helped. You can just buy that over the counter now i think. You could always ask you pharmacist if you cant get in at the doctors what they would recommend for IBS relief. I was also prescribed tablets that helped reduce bloating but they didnt seem to work for me. However my friend suffers from IBS and she had one of my tablets ( I no you shouldn't give other people your tablets) but she tried one and it worked like a dream on her. I don't really suffer from any IBS symptoms anymore as i have gotton older i dont get as anxious as much as i did when i was a teenager. I do get it sometimes but no way near as bad. Hope this helps.
Dana DeCourcy
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I've found that the worst trigger for me is pasta and anything tomato based. Absolutely cannot eat the stuff! But switching to gluten free pasta has helped somewhat. I take mebeverine tablets (prescription) and they help a lot, but if it flares up I find gaviscon is really helpful - not sure why. But I recommend trying it
Hedwig2189
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittenz999)
I'm about to turn 21 and have had IBS since birth. Ask me anything! aha
Otherside22
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
22, IBS. Was diagnosed last year. Have had it for a few years before that. I have flare ups that last a few months, and then no symptoms for months. It's weird. I've gone through a load of tests because of it - full blood testing, colonoscopy. It's IBS with me. Symptoms for me is pretty bad cramping and having to use the loo a lot.
I'm prescribed Mebeverine for it, but honestly, I've taken over the counter peppermint tablets, and they works wonders for me. I was surprised by how well they worked. I could honestly go on about them and sound like an advert...lol.

Dairy is a problem for me. I mostly try and avoid it where I can. Can usually manage a small amount (say with coffee or so) without a flare up occuring. Any more and I have problems. Other people have different trigger foods of course. There is something called the FODMAP diet (really just a list of good/bad foods) that my GP recommended which is meant to be good for those of us with IBS. Haven't tried it really. Perhaps will one day. List is here.
http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It used to be pretty bad but it seems to be have calmed down, whilst my poor mother's IBS has only got worse.
Luke7456
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
i get this too well the doctor said it is IBS basically a lot of the time I have semi Diarrhea and it can get messy, this is why I have to have an ensuite room at uni.
howitoughttobe
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm currently doing the low FODMAP diet and while it is really difficult to stick to I have managed it for five weeks now and there has definitely been an improvement! If you do decide to go on the low FODMAP diet though make sure you see a dietitian. You have to cut out a lot of food on the diet and it is dangerous to do so unless you're under the supervision of a medical professional.
howitoughttobe
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Also DO NOT follow that link provided above, I have the official guide book for the diet provided by my dietitian which was written by Monash University (who developed the diet) and a lot of foods on that website are miscategorised. The booklet is copyrighted and therefore most information that can be found online about the diet has false information so the best thing is to go and see a dietitian.
Rumbles 12
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I have constant gurgling and wind its ruining my life does anyone else get this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (1)
7.69%
Okay (5)
38.46%
A bit lacking (4)
30.77%
Not good at all (3)
23.08%

Watched Threads