The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Initial/Foundation year at UH

Hello, I am thinking of doing the Initial/Foundation year for Engineering at UH and would like to hear from anyone that has completed it.

Is it possible to work part time on the course or is it very intense in terms of studying evenings and weekends?

How much preparation do you need to start the course? Do you need to be comfortable with A level maths/physics or anything else or do they start from GCSE level?

And how well did it prepare you for the degree you eventually went on to?
Original post by bobley
Hello, I am thinking of doing the Initial/Foundation year for Engineering at UH and would like to hear from anyone that has completed it.

Is it possible to work part time on the course or is it very intense in terms of studying evenings and weekends?

How much preparation do you need to start the course? Do you need to be comfortable with A level maths/physics or anything else or do they start from GCSE level?

And how well did it prepare you for the degree you eventually went on to?

Hi Bobley,

It's great that you're thinking of doing the initial year Engineering. I've spoken to the admissions tutor for Engineering and they let me know the following:

I'm afraid the initial year only runs for full time study mode. During the initial year you spend 4 days a week at one of 4 associate colleges in the area (so your local college). On the other day, you come to the University for laboratory sessions where you carry out practical engineering work.

A level Maths or Physics is not essential and the entry requirements are 48 UCAS points in any A Level plus GCSE English, Maths and Science at Grade C.

Students who meet the progression rules to move up from the Initial Year to BEng courses will be confident to complete their degree successfully.

Hopefully a current student will pop up here too!

If you've got any other questions, just let us know.

Thanks,
Heather
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending