The Student Room Group

Advice on first car at 17 Vauxhall corsa Limited edition.

https://gyazo.com/abd566d1d643186dc922c831bd0451f0 - link to fairly similar idea i have.
I want to get a fairly new corsa in white limited edition with black rims as it looks great in my opinion and has only a 1.0 litre so i assumed that itd be good for fuel and insurance. Has anyone got any reviews on it or any advice?
Also regards to insurance is there any things i can answer yes or no to or have so it makes it cheaper. Should i get a black box also? i dont really want to only be able to drive on certain times.

Scroll to see replies

Looks good make sure the mileage is low and not like above 120,000 also get a black box I had one and it brought my insurance way down and also have your parents insured on the car to bring the insurance down too. Also my black box didn't limit the time I could drive etc I forgot it was even there as it never effected me and I sped a lot.
Original post by John10101
Looks good make sure the mileage is low and not like above 120,000 also get a black box I had one and it brought my insurance way down and also have your parents insured on the car to bring the insurance down too. Also my black box didn't limit the time I could drive etc I forgot it was even there as it never effected me and I sped a lot.

what was your first car? and is the corsa newish model 2010 ish good for fuel? i want to be able to drive alot and not be costly on fuel. I can get a 2012 but in black or something for 2000 but i want an older in limited with black rims and white body for about 2500. How much will insurance be if i go for black box and is there any things that make insurance cheaper like parking on a drive way or being married etc..any loopholes per say

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707097216653?sort=sponsored&maximum-mileage=25000&price-from=1500&price-to=3500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=40&year-from=2008&postcode=e46xh&make=VAUXHALL&model=CORSA&page=1 this one is about 3k and abit and has 25k miles and is much newer. but it is *****y rims.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708017910495?year-from=2008&maximum-mileage=125000&maximum-badge-engine-size=1.0&radius=40&advertising-location=at_cars&price-from=1500&model=CORSA&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-asc&make=VAUXHALL&postcode=e46xh&price-to=3500&page=1 this one is much cheaper and is low miles.
Original post by MrCole&Co
what was your first car? and is the corsa newish model 2010 ish good for fuel? i want to be able to drive alot and not be costly on fuel. I can get a 2012 but in black or something for 2000 but i want an older in limited with black rims and white body for about 2500. How much will insurance be if i go for black box and is there any things that make insurance cheaper like parking on a drive way or being married etc..any loopholes per say

I had a Vaxuhall corsa 2004 and to fill up a tank it cost £40ish and black box fitted you will be expected to pay around 1k in total if you pay outright or more if you pay monthly but this will go down by half after you driven for a year. The rest of the stuff your talking about just go with what you like and what ever car feels right for you.
Your insurance will be a piss take regardless of what car you get. My first car was a 1.4L 1998 Corsa and cost me £2000 to insure it.
Original post by Mr Smurf
Your insurance will be a piss take regardless of what car you get. My first car was a 1.4L 1998 Corsa and cost me £2000 to insure it.

that is vile but a 1.4l is fairly big, i was thinking on getting a audi tt but **** that.
I had a Vaxuhall corsa 2004 and to fill up a tank it cost £40ish and black box fitted you will be expected to pay around 1k in total if you pay outright or more if you pay monthly but this will go down by half after you driven for a year. The rest of the stuff your talking about just go with what you like and what ever car feels right for you.

yeah, could i add a spoiler and make it sound more mean? or would it **** my insurance?
yeah, could i add a spoiler and make it sound more mean? or would it **** my insurance?

Your insurance might not even allow it or it will ramp up the costs stupidly high, you need to talk to them before adding anything to your car.
Your insurance might not even allow it or it will ramp up the costs stupidly high, you need to talk to them before adding anything to your car.

cant i just do it after its insured?
cant i just do it after its insured?

Pretty sure its illegal to not disclose modifications with your insurance company or some crap.
should have got a bike
Pretty sure its illegal to not disclose modifications with your insurance company or some crap.

agh alright, no worries.
Original post by randy orton
should have got a bike

ill pass.
Reply 15
This thread should be in Cars and Motoring - tagging @AngryJellyfish to move it for you
Original post by IWMTom
This thread should be in Cars and Motoring - tagging @AngryJellyfish to move it for you

cheers bud, didnt know how to do that.
https://gyazo.com/abd566d1d643186dc922c831bd0451f0 - link to fairly similar idea i have.
I want to get a fairly new corsa in white limited edition with black rims as it looks great in my opinion and has only a 1.0 litre so i assumed that itd be good for fuel and insurance. Has anyone got any reviews on it or any advice?
Also regards to insurance is there any things i can answer yes or no to or have so it makes it cheaper. Should i get a black box also? i dont really want to only be able to drive on certain times.

If you want one as your first car, then go for it. Corsas arent too bad a first car to go for.
Check what the insurance is likely to be on one of those. Do the usual stuff, like adding parents as named drivers, changing where you keep the car at night (e.g. drive, garage etc), lowering the mileage per year etc etc.
I woulnt recommend black boxes though. I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole.

I have the exact same car, a 2014 one with a 1.2 engine. You do not want anything less than a 1.2 otherwise you won't be able to overtake above 40mph safely. The 1.2 is good with fuel, costs £50 to fill up and gets about 47mpg depending on how you drive, which is about 450 miles. Most of the time I drive spiritedly and it's my stress relief, so I'm lucky to get 350 out of a full tank. It's still exceptionally good with fuel if you're on a low budget.

For the insurance I'm currently playing £1850 as a 17 year old, I passed my test 5 months ago. I have a black box because it was a lot cheaper to get insured. Next year it should go down to about £1100 with a box and £1600 without. The reason it's expensive is because a lot of boy racers crash them, and or just drive dangerously.

The black box company I have don't track what times you drive, and there is no penalty for driving at peak times etc... They are also quite lenient and I've pushed my luck a bit trying to hit 100mph (the best I can get is 95) and they just warn you to stop lol. I'm not going to push my luck any further though. Occasional speeding is fine I do it all the time, 70 on 60 roads etc... (only when it's safe obviously).

If you have any more questions ask me :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Emma:-)
If you want one as your first car, then go for it. Corsas arent too bad a first car to go for.
Check what the insurance is likely to be on one of those. Do the usual stuff, like adding parents as named drivers, changing where you keep the car at night (e.g. drive, garage etc), lowering the mileage per year etc etc.
I woulnt recommend black boxes though. I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole.

cheers fella

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending