Is my boyfriend a bit weird...?

Watch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I know that title is harsh but sometimes he says things that throw me off so much I feel a bit shocked. For example...

He has a step sister who he has known for nearly 10 years (that's around the amount of time his dad and step mum have been going out) and I met her recently. A couple hours after meeting her I asked him to remind me what her name was and this is what happened....
ME: What is that girls name again?
HIM: Who??
ME: Your step sister?
HIM: What? (he literally has no clue what I'm talking about and this goes on a few times)
ME: The girl I just met... your step sister!!!
HIM: I don't know..
ME: You don't know your sisters name???
HIM: No
at this point I give up, I'm kind of inwardly shocked and don't know how to proceed.

Other things have happened too, like when Donald Trump was elected president I messaged him saying something like "Can you believe the election results??" and he replied "what is that?" and I was shocked again and I replied "Donald Trump was elected president". He replied with something like "sorry I don't know what that is." A similar thing happened with the EU referendum.

These are just a few examples... should I be worried? :O

It sounds silly but it's actually badly affecting me
Eggs Aware
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 7211543)
I know that title is harsh but sometimes he says things that throw me off so much I feel a bit shocked. For example...

He has a step sister who he has known for nearly 10 years (that's around the amount of time his dad and step mum have been going out) and I met her recently. A couple hours after meeting her I asked him to remind me what her name was and this is what happened....
HIM: What? (he literally has no clue what I'm talking about and this goes on a few times)
at this point I give up, I'm kind of inwardly shocked and don't know how to proceed.

Other things have happened too, like when Donald Trump was elected president I messaged him saying something like "Can you believe the election results??" and he replied "what is that?" and I was shocked again and I replied "Donald Trump was elected president". He replied with something like "sorry I don't know what that is." A similar thing happened with the EU referendum.

Not weird but definitely a slight bit obtuse.
Durhamgirl96
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think he is doing that to wind you up, you can't not know the name of sibling.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Durhamgirl96)
I think he is doing that to wind you up, you can't not know the name of sibling.
I swear he is serious. I am not lying things like this actually happen. I wonder if I'm actually going mad sometimes.
JamesH2017
Report 3 years ago
Your boyfriend sounds like a funny guy - I think I would like him.
ML1996
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maybe he has an identical twin that he hides from the world and on those occasions you spoke to his twin by accident and not ur actual bf x
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

It sounds silly but it's actually badly affecting me and how I view him
Durhamgirl96
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Speak to his parents?
Rep:
?
(Original post by JamesH2017)
Your boyfriend sounds like a funny guy - I think I would like him.
In all seriousness though this is actually really getting me down and I don't know what to do.
boring guy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
he should find someone else I do not care for the EU or who is president of the US silly girl
JamesH2017
Report 3 years ago
In all seriousness though this is actually really getting me down and I don't know what to do.
Well, how about having a chat with him about it - that might help.
Rep:
?
(Original post by boring guy)
he should find someone else I do not care for the EU or who is president of the US silly girl
Yeah I understand that and I don't mean to offend you. It's not those individual things that bother me. It's more of a trend that I've found and I find strange and I just wanted others opinions but sorry you took it badly
Durhamgirl96
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I understand that and I don't mean to offend you. It's not those individual things that bother me. It's more of a trend that I've found and I find strange and I just wanted others opinions but sorry you took it badly
He's a troll, ignore him.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Durhamgirl96)
He's a troll, ignore him.
Thanks I never ask questions on this internet so I'm just getting used to this :P also I'll try talking to him!
Rep:
?
(Original post by JamesH2017)
Well, how about having a chat with him about it - that might help.
I'll give it a go.
Moura
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

It sounds silly but it's actually badly affecting me and how I view him
it sounds like either that is his sense of humour or he is in serious need of help from a doctor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moura)
it sounds like either that is his sense of humour or he is in serious need of help from a doctor
I know, I have no idea what to do. I'm really worried about him. He's so caring and fun to be with but I'm so lost at the moment. Things that happen seem a bit funny/odd individually but they just add up to the point where it stresses me out and I don't know what to do.
Moura
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know, I have no idea what to do. I'm really worried about him. He's so caring and fun to be with but I'm so lost at the moment. Things that happen seem a bit funny/odd individually but they just add up to the point where it stresses me out and I don't know what to do.
yes, if he's serious and not joking then I would be very worried too. i think firstly, speak to him about it... maybe make a note of every time he does something like it and then show him and ask him what he thinks. if you can't get through to him then can you speak to his parents or another family member? or perhaps go to the doctor and describe his symptoms.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moura)
yes, if he's serious and not joking then I would be very worried too. i think firstly, speak to him about it... maybe make a note of every time he does something like it and then show him and ask him what he thinks. if you can't get through to him then can you speak to his parents or another family member? or perhaps go to the doctor and describe his symptoms.
Ok I'll definitely try that I really appreciate your advise as lots of people don't seem to take these questions seriously. He has already been to the doctors over mental health related things but he never really shares it with me. I think they're connected more to anxiety though.
LostYouth
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Odd chap.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (126)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed