The Student Room Group

Help, please, my degree is not going to go anywhere.

I'm 21, and I've jut finished a year of a Creative Writing and Journalism bachelors in London. This came after a year of BA English and History, which frankly was a lot more interesting, but I studied it at a university sixth form center and grew worried about how that would be received by employers.

I've struggled over this year to find any kind of job to go into with this degree, and now before my next year commences I've been asked by my parents to see if I can find something more solid to stand on.

As someone with an understanding of the NHS, my dad in particular wants me to look into various careers he's encountered in the hospital. I have the means and resources to do this, and the time right now, so okay. I've told him that I can't ask for a student loan for this, and been asked to do some research regardless.

I hate my education history as it is, and am already far older than I should be for university. And I can't argue with him on this, because I've had similar concerns, and agree with a lot of my classmates on the issue that we already know what we're being taught and can pick it up in our spare time with far less expense.

Has anybody else bounced from course to course finding a suitable one? Or at the very least taken a degree like creative writing and been able to go somewhere with it? Absolutely sick with worry here.
Original post by liminalloon
I'm 21, and I've jut finished a year of a Creative Writing and Journalism bachelors in London. This came after a year of BA English and History, which frankly was a lot more interesting, but I studied it at a university sixth form center and grew worried about how that would be received by employers.

I've struggled over this year to find any kind of job to go into with this degree, and now before my next year commences I've been asked by my parents to see if I can find something more solid to stand on.

As someone with an understanding of the NHS, my dad in particular wants me to look into various careers he's encountered in the hospital. I have the means and resources to do this, and the time right now, so okay. I've told him that I can't ask for a student loan for this, and been asked to do some research regardless.

I hate my education history as it is, and am already far older than I should be for university. And I can't argue with him on this, because I've had similar concerns, and agree with a lot of my classmates on the issue that we already know what we're being taught and can pick it up in our spare time with far less expense.

Has anybody else bounced from course to course finding a suitable one? Or at the very least taken a degree like creative writing and been able to go somewhere with it? Absolutely sick with worry here.

You seem lost.

1. Lots of jobs are non degree specific.
2. If you are unhappy with your current degree, then consider doing an Access course to improve your grades to get you on the degree you want to be on.
3. If you are looking for idea, then consider taking a gap and getting work experience plus generally identifying what you want to do.
4. You can get onto an NHS career and they will disregard your previous student funding, so they will pay for a whole degree if you can persuade them to let you on a degree course.

5. If your A levels are poor then an alternative might be a foundation degree or course with a foundation year.
6. You can use the GAP to get work experience.to see if you like it. Do not start it if you arent sure.
7. Contact careers
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

Or look at books like the following to help you decide the right careers for you and when sure then follow the steps above to identify the path you need to take to get there.

Any edition and can be picked up for pennies off marketplace or ebay or the careers library will have copies.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Color-Your-Parachute-2017/dp/039957820X/ref=pd_ys_c_rfy_266239_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=039957820X&pd_rd_r=TJZD133HHQHRCKQ403MZ&pd_rd_w=ZJHEv&pd_rd_wg=ndOhg&psc=1&refRID=W7FNVFCJ171TFE2ZCZNT

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Color-Parachute-Teens-Discover-Yourself-Design-Future/1607745771/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0F9XDHZ6C0TJZV3FXHH5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-You-Are-Personality-Completely-x/dp/031623673X/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0F9XDHZ6C0TJZV3FXHH5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Pathfinder-Choose-Lifetime-Satisfaction-Success-Touchstone-Paperback/1451608322/ref=pd_sim_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QFFWHVSJ02VGVC53MGM5
Until you identify what you really wish to do then jumping on one direction or the other is complete guess work. Take time to find out.
Maybe go in for a meeting with University staff, if you have solid grades for the first year then they might let you switch to a different degree?

You will most likely have to retake first year, however if they see you as a solid student, I'm sure they will levy some of the entrance requirements that's normally associated with the course.
Reply 4
Original post by liminalloon

Hi if you enjoy your course stick with it.There are lots of careers you can go into with it journalism on tv, newspapers, magazines, publications maybe Finance if you are decent at maths.

I think the key is find something you really enjoy and do that. The money will come.
Maybe do a masters to change career path?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
You need to do what you want to do. Your parents are not living your life. Think seriously about what you love doing. You are very young and have plenty of time to find your ultimate job.

Just waned to point out that if you want to work in the NHS they do not pay fees or bursaries anymore, as someone said above. You would have to get student finance like a normal degree.

Also the current state of the NHS should not put you off entirely. Even if it becomes privatised then we will still need medical staff, who will probably end up being paid more due to competition.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending