The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Gyms in Durham City?

Hello, I'm going to be a postgrad student at Durham this year and was wondering if someone could recommend a local gym that has a pool and free(?) classes? I currently have a membership at a Virgin Active and try to swim five times a week and go to four or five yoga classes a week. (I know that the colleges have gyms but swimming and yoga are my preferred activities as I am recovering from any injury.)

I have looked on the websites of a few gyms that I found on google but would appreciate personal recommendations.

The ones I have found are:
- Raddison Blu Hotel Pace Health Club
- Marriott International Fitness Club
- Lifestyle Fitness, Freeman's Quay

Thank you!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by studentin11
Hello, I'm going to be a postgrad student at Durham this year and was wondering if someone could recommend a local gym that has a pool and free(?) classes? I currently have a membership at a Virgin Active and try to swim five times a week and go to four or five yoga classes a week. (I know that the colleges have gyms but swimming and yoga are my preferred activities as I am recovering from any injury.)

I have looked on the websites of a few gyms that I found on google but would appreciate personal recommendations.

Thank you!

Definitely look at Freemans Quay first. It is run by the council, and offer a student discount at the start of the year during the freshers fair. It has the only swimming pool (that is big enough to actually swim train in) and friends I know have said the gym is quite good. They have a lot of classes (yoga probably one of them).
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by studentin11

Thank you!

You can see gyms with pools here

Bannatyne has one
https://www.payasugym.com/search?products=pools&location=durham&distance=20
https://www.payasugym.com/gyms-in-durham/bannatyne-health-club-durham-pool-details

I would always look where they are in relation to where I live and the uni.Location is key to using.

Freemans Quay as the council facility is less exclusive but has a 25m pool, which is bound to be way larger.

It also has classes. It only has Yoga 2x a week but has Pilates on other days which should be good for you.

The alternative is you can join Freemans quay just for the pool its about £22 a month and find Toga classes elswhere. I doubt the others have sufficient classes as they wont have the large numbers plus they will be more expensive and have a smaller pool. they might be a bot more exclusive though.

The cost of Freemans for students is £300 a year.

A timetable is here.

Doesnt seem to be downloading but ive seen it and it says Pilates 4x a week and Yoga 2x.
http://www.durham.gov.uk/media/20594/Freemans-Quay-Leisure-Centre-GX-Timetable/pdf/GXFreemansQuay.pdf
http://www.durham.gov.uk/gx

The Marriott is 17m pool + £45 a month.

Try and get a free day pass for the ones you are interested in .
Reply 3
Can't believe the Marriott one is 45 quid a month. It is the worst gym in the city for sure!

Best one for luxury/relaxing - Radisson

Best one for gym facilities - Maiden Castle

Best for general use/Classes/swimming - Freemans Quay

Also remember each college has a gym, which might be enough for what you need and will be very cheap indeed
Reply 4
Looks like I will stick to Freeman's Quay as I mostly just want to swim. Thanks for all the help! :smile:

Quick Reply