Ec-o
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello! I am starting a foundation year at Solent in September. Foundation year is in law. Does anyone have any recommendations on reading before I start the course?!
Thanks
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ec-o)
Hello! I am starting a foundation year at Solent in September. Foundation year is in law. Does anyone have any recommendations on reading before I start the course?!
Thanks
A foundation year is not a foundation degree. Which are you doing?
Ec-o
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
A foundation year is not a foundation degree. Which are you doing?
Very good point. I'm a mature student doing a foundation year as I don't have the prerequisites for the course (Criminology & Psychology. I'd quite like to get ahead before the beginning of term.

Thanks
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You're doing a foundation year in law because you don't have the grades to get into criminology & psychology? I don't see the sense in applying for law to do criminology/psychology, but each to their own.

I wouldn't read any books. Read an Act of Parliament and a case in order to get to grips with the law and how it works. Primary experience, making sense of it yourself, is superior to reading someone else telling you how to do it.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
You're doing a foundation year in law because you don't have the grades to get into criminology & psychology? I don't see the sense in applying for law to do criminology/psychology, but each to their own.
It is a solid academic preparation given there are unlikely to be specific foundation courses for this combination and there is some connection.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ec-o)
Very good point. I'm a mature student doing a foundation year as I don't have the prerequisites for the course (Criminology & Psychology. I'd quite like to get ahead before the beginning of term.

Thanks
I would read Glanville Williams' Learning the Law. It is on its 16th edition (published last year) but was first published in 1945. In some ways it is old fashioned but the key thing is it assumes that its readers are adults (as in 1945 its readership would have been). Its principal rival, McBride's Letters to a Law Student starts with a colloquial mock email. Learning the Law starts with a quotation from Henry VI Part I.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is a solid academic preparation given there are unlikely to be specific foundation courses for this combination and there is some connection.
Albeit tangential.
Ec-o
Rep:
?
I would read Glanville Williams' Learning the Law. It is on its 16th edition (published last year) but was first published in 1945. In some ways it is old fashioned but the key thing is it assumes that its readers are adults (as in 1945 its readership would have been). Its principal rival, McBride's Letters to a Law Student starts with a colloquial mock email. Learning the Law starts with a quotation from Henry VI Part I.
Thank you- I'll have a look at both.
Snoopy.cat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ec-o)

Thanks
Not quite sure why they are asking you to do the foundation year. I did my Law Degree without any A levels and completed it in 2 years on the Accelerated Law Degree. I would try another university as wasting a year is pointless when you could be doing your degree. As long as you can read and reason you can obtain a Law Degree. To be honest, it's not difficult at all as all logical. Good luck anyway whatever you decide.😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (159)
44.41%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (29)
8.1%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (75)
20.95%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.5%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (21)
5.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed