The Student Room Group

Aiming for A*A*A* and possibly another A* at Alevel!

Okay so I'm a very average student and it feels crazy to aim this high but why not!
At A level I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Geography and maybe RE.
Predicting grades will be up soon!

Scroll to see replies

What year are you in?
Original post by HabibSyed
Hahahhahah buddy. You said you an average student. You shouldn't be doing A Levels if you didn't get an "A" grade in the relevant GCSE subject, a grade "B" minimum. Anything lower, like an average "C" grade, and you'll most likely fail the course, not get straight A*'s which even smart people with straight A*'s/A's at GCSE struggle to get. These are A Levels not GCSE's. GCSE's can be studied in a few months, A Levels like Biology and Chemistry need more than the 2 years given. I think you really need to research on your courses better, and then set some realistic goals. Who knows, maybe you'll come back to this thread in 2 years and prove me wrong, but until then, you have no ground to stand on. Good Luck.

Guess I'm above average as I am predicted A's for all of the subjects I hope to take so providing I have met this expectation I fit the criteria. Kindly **** off if you're going to be negative on here, thanks 😊
Hahahhahah buddy. You said you an average student. You shouldn't be doing A Levels if you didn't get an "A" grade in the relevant GCSE subject, a grade "B" minimum. Anything lower, like an average "C" grade, and you'll most likely fail the course, not get straight A*'s which even smart people with straight A*'s/A's at GCSE struggle to get. These are A Levels not GCSE's. GCSE's can be studied in a few months, A Levels like Biology and Chemistry need more than the 2 years given. I think you really need to research on your courses better, and then set some realistic goals. Who knows, maybe you'll come back to this thread in 2 years and prove me wrong, but until then, you have no ground to stand on. Good Luck.

This is meant to be a supportive section. Take your nastiness somewhere else
Original post by YaliaV
This is meant to be a supportive section. Take your nastiness somewhere else

Thank you so much! I give up with the negativity on here sometimes
I don't think is being nasty, but rather supportive. He's telling you how he feels and what will most likely happen although their phrasing could have been better.
Original post by Studygeekscience
Thank you so much! I give up with the negativity on here sometimes

Well I got here in the right time.
I have the same ambitions which are deemed as unrealistic by people who can't be arsed to get good grades themselves.
I plan to get 4A* in the A levels: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. In the process my entire life for the next 2 years will be DEDICATED to these subjects. You aren't alone, but remember that it will take a lot of sleepless nights, coffee and repeating the specification (with immacualte revision notes) as MANY times possible in this time period. Repetition is key. Just remember the sacrifices you need to make; this INCLUDES social media and friends. I'm afraid that friends are acceptable losses since they come and go....just like that (from MY experience).

In short, you have my unwavering support!
N.B don't expect much for me though, I will be very inactive. I might come on TSR to share (and receive) resources. I hope you make it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Major-fury
I don't think is being nasty, but rather supportive.

Yeah....I agree....

Keep dreaming man. **** you and your effort.

...not.

I think that advice is productive, given that there isn't any flamming involved.
Also I find the way you wrote about "that autistic kid" offensive. I hope someone teaches you a lesson or two.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8

It's not necessarily true and does depend on the person and their ability. I know people with average C/B grades and yet they have achieved A*AA/A*A*A at A-Level.
Original post by DYoverDX
I have the same ambitions which are deemed as unrealistic by people who can't be arsed to get good grades themselves.
I plan to get 4A* in the A levels: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. In the process my entire life for the next 2 years will be DEDICATED to these subjects. You aren't alone, but remember that it will take a lot of sleepless nights, coffee and repeating the specification (with immacualte revision notes) as MANY times possible in this time period. Repetition is key. Just remember the sacrifices you need to make; this INCLUDES social media and friebnds. I'm afraid that friends are acceptable losses since they come and go....just like that (from NY experience).

N.B don't expect much for me though, I will be very inactive. I might come on TSR to share (and receive) resourcea. I hope you make it.

Wow! Amazing a levels to take, I was on the verge of taking maths but decided against it at the last minute. Thank you for you support and I wish you the best in any results you may be getting soon. What year are you in?
I plan to get 4A* in the A levels: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. In the process my entire life for the next 2 years will be DEDICATED to these subjects. You aren't alone, but remember that it will take a lot of sleepless nights, coffee and repeating the specification (with immacualte revision notes) as MANY times possible in this time period. Repetition is key. Just remember the sacrifices you need to make; this INCLUDES social media and friends. I'm afraid that friends are acceptable losses since they come and go....just like that (from MY experience).

N.B don't expect much for me though, I will be very inactive. I might come on TSR to share (and receive) resources. I hope you make it.

It's not healthy If you give up your entire social life and dedicate everything to your studies for two years. You need to keep a balance. I'd say from about March yr 13 you should go full keen.
Original post by Major-fury
I don't think is being nasty, but rather supportive. He's telling you how he feels and what will most likely happen although their phrasing could have been better.

Okay thanks
Reply 12

You're over-exaggerating the workload. You don't need any sleepless nights or coffee or need to lost friends in order to get A*A*A*. Nor do you need to rewrite the spec over and over again.

I don't know where you got these expectations from, but frankly they sound very unhealthy and will most likely stand in the way of your succeeding. If you want some realistic expectations, I suggest you watch YouTube videos by someone who got A*s or look at TSR's A* advice page.
Keep dreaming man. You're like this autistic kid in my class who thinks life will be easy because you're going try really hard. **** you and your effort.

There's no need to be mean or rude. Who are you to say what he can or cannot achieve. I'll have you know also that autistic children are very intelligent children. We're here to inspire and support not tear others down
Okay thanks

I'd say don't worry about what you want for now, but just focus on actually revising the content so that even if you fail you know you did all you could. If you think of needing to reach a certain grade that could add an element of pressure to you which could probably have an adverse effect causing you to make mistakes in exams, misread etc
Can I just ask why you want 3/4 A*s at A-level?
Reply 16
Original post by Desmos
You're over-exaggerating the workload. You don't need any sleepless nights or coffee or need to lost friends in order to get A*A*A*. Nor do you need to rewrite the spec over and over again.

I don't know where you got these expectations from, but frankly they sound very unhealthy and will most likely stand in the way of your succeeding. If you want some realistic expectations, I suggest you watch YouTube videos by someone who got A*s or look at TSR's A* advice page.

Have you completed/already gotten your A-Levels?
Wow! Amazing a levels to take, I was on the verge of taking maths but decided against it at the last minute. Thank you for you support and I wish you the best in any results you may be getting soon. What year are you in?

I have just finished my GCSEs.

Original post by matty1356
It's not healthy If you give up your entire social life and dedicate everything to your studies for two years. You need to keep a balance. I'd say from about March yr 13 you should go full keen.

The ends justify the means my friend....the ends justify the means.
Original post by Desmos

Well I need to complete my notes first, which needs extra time (I am a night owl anyway).

But in the second year, that's when I'll focus on my sleep. Besides I'm not going to stay awake all night, just when I need to get tasks done.
(edited 6 years ago)
If you haven't started A-levels yet, don't set goals like that. If you're half way through a-level (done as/ first year mocks) then sure you can be fairly certain you'll get an A or A*. The honestly truth is that if you are smart and you work hard (do all the homework you are set, engage in class, do lots of exam practice within about 1-3 months of exams) then you'll do well.
Keep dreaming man. You're like this autistic kid in my class who thinks life will be easy because you're going try really hard. **** you and your effort.

Hey, no need for the negativity. I know it's a cliche, but anything is possible if you put your mind to it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending