The Student Room Group

Aiming for A*A*A* and possibly another A* at Alevel!

Scroll to see replies

I think I got an A* in maths this year but I cut out my social life. Sounds ridiculous, but I just spent all my time studying.
Original post by Studygeekscience
Okay so I'm a very average student and it feels crazy to aim this high but why not!
At A level I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Geography and maybe RE.
Predicting grades will be up soon!

I'm sure you can do it if you put your mind to it! :h:
Okay so I'm a very average student and it feels crazy to aim this high but why not!
At A level I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Geography and maybe RE.
Predicting grades will be up soon!

What is the point of this thread?
Those who get all A*s don't go around telling everyone that they're aiming for it, forget even posting public.
Original post by I did nazi u
What is the point of this thread?
Those who get all A*s don't go around telling everyone that they're aiming for it, forget even posting public.

To motivate me, this is ideal you don't know my name, where I live or my current grades. It is motivation without being held to it by people who don't know my backstory and won't be awfully disappointed if through my own fault I fail.
To motivate me, this is ideal you don't know my name, where I live or my current grades. It is motivation without being held to it by people who don't know my backstory and won't be awfully disappointed if through my own fault I fail.

'To motivate me'
This is absolutely pointless.

When people are commenting that you probably won't be able to achieve the grades you want, you end up replying to tell them to go away as their comments are negative.
Ok here: I believe you can get all A*s at A level
There happy?

You just want people to lie to you saying you can do it (not saying you can't)

The A*s come from your inner motivation and dedication. You creating a thread, so people can motivate you, is pointless.
Original post by APersonYo
I think I got an A* in maths this year but I cut out my social life. Sounds ridiculous, but I just spent all my time studying.

I mean I never had a social life to start I just phased out anime and games and worked instead XD.
'To motivate me'

When people are commenting that you probably won't be able to achieve the grades you want, you end up replying to tell them to go away as their comments are negative.
There happy?

The A*s come from your inner motivation and dedication. You creating a thread, so people can motivate you, is pointless.

It's not pointless for me but if you feel it's pointless don't create a thread for yourself
It's not pointless for me but if you feel it's pointless don't create a thread for yourself

What do you want to do with your life?

Ok, if it helps you; you want to stay positive and happy!

You can do it. i believe in you. Get all 5 A*s in A levels. Infact get 100 UMS in all.
'To motivate me'

There happy?

Motivation can come from outside support. In fact, it often does. it certainly is pointless to try to demotivated the OP like you've attempted to do. Is that your only account mr nazi or do you have at least one more?
Reply 30
Original post by Desmos
You're over-exaggerating the workload. You don't need any sleepless nights or coffee or need to lost friends in order to get A*A*A*. Nor do you need to rewrite the spec over and over again.

I don't know where you got these expectations from, but frankly they sound very unhealthy and will most likely stand in the way of your succeeding. If you want some realistic expectations, I suggest you watch YouTube videos by someone who got A*s or look at TSR's A* advice page.

Lol exactly. I don't get why people act like to smash A-levels you need to essentially destroy your own life with work. There is loads of free time if you work smart.
Original post by YaliaV
Motivation can come from outside support. In fact, it often does. it certainly is pointless to try to demotivated the OP like you've attempted to do. Is that your only account mr nazi or do you have at least one more?

Look at the post before you. I motivated him.
Original post by black1blade
I mean I never had a social life to start I just phased out anime and games and worked instead XD.

Haha, thats the way to go buddy.
Original post by HabibSyed
Hahahhahah buddy. You said you an average student. You shouldn't be doing A Levels if you didn't get an "A" grade in the relevant GCSE subject, a grade "B" minimum. Anything lower, like an average "C" grade, and you'll most likely fail the course, not get straight A*'s which even smart people with straight A*'s/A's at GCSE struggle to get. These are A Levels not GCSE's. GCSE's can be studied in a few months, A Levels like Biology and Chemistry need more than the 2 years given. I think you really need to research on your courses better, and then set some realistic goals. Who knows, maybe you'll come back to this thread in 2 years and prove me wrong, but until then, you have no ground to stand on. Good Luck.

A Levels aren't as hard as you describe them to be... "buddy"
Original post by HabibSyed
Hahahhahah buddy. You said you an average student. You shouldn't be doing A Levels if you didn't get an "A" grade in the relevant GCSE subject, a grade "B" minimum. Anything lower, like an average "C" grade, and you'll most likely fail the course, not get straight A*'s which even smart people with straight A*'s/A's at GCSE struggle to get. These are A Levels not GCSE's. GCSE's can be studied in a few months, A Levels like Biology and Chemistry need more than the 2 years given. I think you really need to research on your courses better, and then set some realistic goals. Who knows, maybe you'll come back to this thread in 2 years and prove me wrong, but until then, you have no ground to stand on. Good Luck.

This is quite bluntly put, probably too much, but I do agree that a self-proclaimed 'average student' should not aim for straight A*s just because they are the top grades. It's not always wise to aim for the absolute top in everything. One must always consider their own personal standards.

However the bit is bold is very much exaggerated. Took me less than a month to memorise AS Chem to the point of getting 116/120 and 120/120 in the two written modules. And that was mostly self-study. I'm no genius; I simply worked smart. Instead of wasting time making mind maps or flashcards or whatever, I got all the relevant notes and rote memorised everything on the specification, nothing more, and then did every past paper available. So there may be hope if you take the right approach, but nonetheless it is silly to aim for A*s at this point.
Go for it!
I said the same, after AS I told myself I wanted A*A*A* and that is what I've been predicted (and hopefully have achieved, fingers crossed for the 17th)!
Take a look at my forum for some tips of getting those grades if you'd like, and feel free to ask me anything!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4866076
Reply 36
Original post by S2M
Have you completed/already gotten your A-Levels?

I finished them this year.
Reply 37
Original post by Desmos
I finished them this year.

Oh ok. Which subjects did you do?
I wouldn't bank on it. A Levels are so much harder than GCSE's, the jump from GCSE's to A Levels is way bigger than the jump from A Levels to GCSE's. If you're an average student aiming for A*'s in all your A Levels, you will burn yourself out and probably have a breakdown. Schools always inflate predicted grades as they're something to aim for and they boost a student's confidence - you're more likely to work harder if they predict you an A rather than a C because it's the school's way of saying "we think you have the potential to get this grade". It's time to be realistic.

Edit: Please please please never put your education before your health. Getting good grades is important but it's not worth destroying your health as a result. You can get decent enough grades without having to sacrifice sleep etc.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by S2M
Oh ok. Which subjects did you do?

Maths, Chem and Comp Sci - A*AA predicted, although A*A*A is possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending