The Student Room Group

Maths problem help

So my sixth form set me work to prepare for A level maths and I've gotten to the last 2 questions under the heading 'expanding and simplifying expressions' and im just stuck. It feels so simple but I just can't seem to see the solution!

The first one is 4/(2x + 4) (so 4 over 2x plus 4)

The second one is 2/(5x - 2)

I'd upload an image but the app won't let me :/
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by peacheyroses
So my sixth form set me work to prepare for A level maths and I've gotten to the last 2 questions under the heading 'expanding and simplifying expressions' and im just stuck. It feels so simple but I just can't seem to see the solution!

The first one is 4/2x + 4 (so 4 over 2x plus 4)

The second one is 2/5x - 2

It looks like you need to express those as a single algebraic fraction. Do you know how to add numerical fractions? Remember that you must make both denominators the same first by multiplying top and bottom of each fraction by some term, then you can add numerators.

Adding algebraic fractions is just like adding numerical fractions: make both denominators the same by multiplying each fraction by some expression (usually you multiply by the denominator of the other fraction) and then add/subtract numerators as asked.

If you're still struggling, could you please post your working so that we can give more specific help

The first one is 4/2x + 4 (so 4 over 2x plus 4)

The second one is 2/5x - 2

Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
It looks like you need to express those as a single algebraic fraction. Do you know how to add numerical fractions? Remember that you must make both denominators the same first by multiplying top and bottom of each fraction by some term, then you can add numerators.

Adding algebraic fractions is just like adding numerical fractions: make both denominators the same by multiplying each fraction by some expression (usually you multiply by the denominator of the other fraction) and then add/subtract numerators as asked.

If you're still struggling, could you please post your working so that we can give more specific help

Note that 4414\equiv \dfrac{4}{1}, so you are just adding the fractions 42x+41\dfrac{4}{2x} + \dfrac{4}{1}
for the first one, four can be expressed as 4(2x)/2x. this means that you can add the numerators to get (4+8x)/2x (the 2s can cancel) I'll leave you to get the second
I take it you have to simplify the two expressions?

For the first one, 4 and 2x have a common factor, so you can find the common factor and divide everything by it.

The second one looks pretty irreducible to me :/

Edit: If you meant 42x+4\frac{4}{2x} + 4 and 25x2\frac{2}{5x} - 2, ignore what I just said; please remember to use parentheses in the future to prevent ambiguity (e.g. (4/2x) + 4 = 42x+4\frac{4}{2x} + 4 and 4/(2x + 4) = 42x+4\frac{4}{2x + 4}) :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Note that 4414\equiv \dfrac{4}{1}, so you are just adding the fractions 42x+41\dfrac{4}{2x} + \dfrac{4}{1}

sorry I think you might have read it wrong since I didn't use brackets :colondollar:

the first one is meant to be 4/(2x+4)
and the second is 2/(5x-2)
Reply 6
sorry I think you might have read it wrong since I didn't use brackets :colondollar:

You just need to take out a common factor from both the numerator and denominator. So the first fraction has a common factor of 2 whilst the second fraction can't be simplified any further.

Ahh the curse of missing brackets haha xD. Never mind, either way @Desmos has given a good response. Just to reiterate, you can divide both the numerator and denominator of the first fraction by 2 to give a simplified fraction (which is another way of saying "taking out a factor of 2" ), while there is no common factor in the second, so no simplification is possible.
(edited 6 years ago)
Ahh the curse of missing brackets haha xD. Never mind, either way @Desmos has given a good response. Just to reiterate, you can divide both the numerator and denominator of the first fraction by 2 to give a simplified fraction (which is another way of saying "taking out a factor of 2":wink:, while there is no common factor in the second, so no simplification if possible.

so would I just get 2/(x+2) ?
so would I just get 2/(x+2) ?

Yes
Reply 10
Ahh the curse of missing brackets haha xD. Never mind, either way @Desmos has given a good response. Just to reiterate, you can divide both the numerator and denominator of the first fraction by 2 to give a simplified fraction (which is another way of saying "taking out a factor of 2":wink:, while there is no common factor in the second, so no simplification if possible.

PRSOM :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest