Has anyone traveled to California; What was your experience like?

Watch
cowardsflight
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm torn between going on a 3 week holiday with friends on round trip across Europe from Dublin all the way to Lisbon through sea, land, and train or go on a 3 week holiday to the state of California.

People are telling me that Cali is a better choice since there's so much more to do there and it's a vast place to visit. On the other hand, others tell me that touring Western Europe has a certain elegance that you don't get in the U.S.

Which would you choose? Does anyone have an experience travelling to any of these areas?
Lissy14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Where are you originally from?

I have experience of both places and personally, I would prefer Europe with friends. It’s much more cultural and diverse whereas America/California lacks a lot of the older history.

But it depends what kind of a trip you want. California will give you a shopping/beach trip full of big brands and fast food. It will be a relatively easy trip with no language barriers and everything you want to know about things to do/transport all on google.

Europe will give you a more varied experience rich in history and culture. The beaches are less commercial/tourist based, and towns/city are more varied and naturally beautiful (compared to the modern architecture and imposing buildings of California). In Europe, you will meet people from all over the world in hostels and I really enjoyed the challenge presented by different languages. I also found that as you get further south (e.g. Greece) google maps has no clue about any public transport available which makes for some funny and interesting planning sessions.

Travelling Europe, you should be prepared for things to go wrong. If you aren't the kind of person who laughs when plans fall apart then maybe America is a safer option for you.
Whiskey&Freedom
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is full of liberals and progressives. Go to a Texas, that is where the real men are.
username2648333
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Completely depends where you're going/what you want to do.

If you're looking for huge mountains, in pristine wilderness areas, head to the Sierra Nevada mountain range in California.

If you're looking for cities, culture, etc. I'd say Europe. But, California is also full of amazing people, who are some of the friendliest on earth.

There are also the weird, remote desert towns on the eastern side of that mountain range, which are interesting.

Also, remember the scale of California, so plan wisely, or you could be spending way too long on buses.
Ollie123x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cowardsflight)
I'm torn between going on a 3 week holiday with friends on round trip across Europe from Dublin all the way to Lisbon through sea, land, and train or go on a 3 week holiday to the state of California.

People are telling me that Cali is a better choice since there's so much more to do there and it's a vast place to visit. On the other hand, others tell me that touring Western Europe has a certain elegance that you don't get in the U.S.

Which would you choose? Does anyone have an experience travelling to any of these areas?
My experience was unbelievably good, best holiday ever. I went for a month from san francisco to yosemite and down through the lakes of california and to nevada and arizona and back through california it was great. Although western europe is great, California is something else and the people are so friendly.
fasteddy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Go to California it is spectacular there are so many places to see and things to do!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.54%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (845)
42.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.36%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads