The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

How to get in to Film BA at University of Westminster?

Okay so I understand this is probably really difficult but I would still greatly appreciate it if someone told me the application process or redirected me to somewhere I could read that. I'm an international student, currently in my 3rd year of studies (junior). Thank you in advance!
Original post by ManyaKay
Okay so I understand this is probably really difficult but I would still greatly appreciate it if someone told me the application process or redirected me to somewhere I could read that. I'm an international student, currently in my 3rd year of studies (junior). Thank you in advance!

https://www.westminster.ac.uk/television-film-and-moving-image-courses/2018-19/september/full-time/film-ba-honours#entry_requirements

https://www.westminster.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/how-to-apply

3rd year junior is USA?
https://www.westminster.ac.uk/international/countries/united-states-of-america

or you can select your country for specific details
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Hi there

Applications for the Film BA Honours course are made online through UCAS. The next entry date is September 2018 and applications for next year will open at UCAS sometime in September 2017.

Selection for the course is highly competitive. If you meet the entry requirements for the course (predicted or achieved) you are sent a questionnaire and are considered on your questionnaire responses and, if you are selected for interview, a marked coursework essay or equivalent.

It’s also essential that you have a portfolio of relevant work; this could include film or video work, photographs, artwork, scripts and creative writing. We are looking for evidence of ideas, creative, expression and visual/audio awareness, and for self-motivated students who will work well in a team and individually.

Best of luck!

Kim
Course Enquiries Team :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by University of Westminster
Hi there

Applications for the Film BA Honours course are made online through UCAS. The next entry date is September 2018 and applications for next year will open at UCAS sometime in September 2017.

Selection for the course is highly competitive. If you meet the entry requirements for the course (predicted or achieved) you are sent a questionnaire and are considered on your questionnaire responses and, if you are selected for interview, a marked coursework essay or equivalent.

It’s also essential that you have a portfolio of relevant work; this could include film or video work, photographs, artwork, scripts and creative writing. We are looking for evidence of ideas, creative, expression and visual/audio awareness, and for self-motivated students who will work well in a team and individually.

Best of luck!

Kim
Course Enquiries Team :smile:

What exactly is the questionnaire? And should the coursework essay be on film?
What exactly is the questionnaire? And should the coursework essay be on film?

Hi there

As part of the application process you can expect to be asked about what books influence your interest in film, or what critical texts you have engaged with outside of the classroom.

Part of the application is a marked essay. This needs to have an argument and not just be descriptive.

You may be asked to talk about a Director you admire, and why.

You will be asked about some films that you love, this is your opportunity to show your critical theory skills.

The tutors are trying to put together a year group who all want to work collaboratively and who will all take a very active and motivated role this requires lots of different types of people with interests in different areas of film.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
Reply 5
Original post by University of Westminster
Hi there

As part of the application process you can expect to be asked about what books influence your interest in film, or what critical texts you have engaged with outside of the classroom.

Part of the application is a marked essay. This needs to have an argument and not just be descriptive.

You may be asked to talk about a Director you admire, and why.

You will be asked about some films that you love, this is your opportunity to show your critical theory skills.

The tutors are trying to put together a year group who all want to work collaboratively and who will all take a very active and motivated role this requires lots of different types of people with interests in different areas of film.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck

Kim
Course Enquiries Team

Thank you so much for your help! So, once again, if I understand correctly - first, I create a UCAS account and write my personal statement - then, on the basis of my UCAS application the university shall decide whether they want to send me a questionnaire or not? ^^
Thank you so much for your help! So, once again, if I understand correctly - first, I create a UCAS account and write my personal statement - then, on the basis of my UCAS application the university shall decide whether they want to send me a questionnaire or not? ^^

Hi there

To apply for the Film course you need to create a UCAS account and complete the online application form. This will include writing a personal statement. If you write a good personal statement detailing your interest and motivation to study Film you will receive the questionnaire and the majority of students do receive the questionnaire.

Good luck!

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
Reply 7
Original post by Uni of Westminster
Hi there

To apply for the Film course you need to create a UCAS account and complete the online application form. This will include writing a personal statement. If you write a good personal statement detailing your interest and motivation to study Film you will receive the questionnaire and the majority of students do receive the questionnaire.

Good luck!

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team

Hello Kim! Do I understand correctly that the UCAS deadline is 18 of January? And when will I know if I am going to receive a questionnaire? Thank you!
Manya
Hello Kim! Do I understand correctly that the UCAS deadline is 18 of January? And when will I know if I am going to receive a questionnaire? Thank you!
Manya

Hi Manya

The UCAS deadline is 15 January. Once the admissions team have read your UCAS personal statement and can also see that you meet/are predicted to meet the academic entry criteria you will be sent the questionnaire immediately.

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team

Quick Reply