Car has just passed MOT, but has advisorys!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Matty2993
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The advisorys are; rear coil springs corroded, exhaust corroded and rear brake pipe slightly corroded.

Should I be worried? And will it cost a lot of money to repair?

It's a Kia Rio (2005-2011) and I do 700 miles a week!
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Matty2993)
The advisorys are; rear coil springs corroded, exhaust corroded and rear brake pipe slightly corroded.

Should I be worried? And will it cost a lot of money to repair?

It's a Kia Rio (2005-2011) and I do 700 miles a week!
If the coil springs are corroded, they'll probably snap soon. I'd recommend doing a bit of preventative maintenance and changing them before they go; it's only about an hour book time for most cars I know of, so it shouldn't be too expensive. £150 tops.

Exhaust is a little more expensive, but not a major issue right now, so don't worry about it for the time being.

The brake pipe you'll be looking at somewhere below £150 again, but I wouldn't worry about that until your next MOT; some testers are a bit anal about it, it's probably fine.

Change the coils, and worry about the rest come next MOT.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Matty2993)
Should I be worried? And will it cost a lot off money to repair?

!
No. Ignore everything. I would replace rear brake pipe in next five years though. The pipes itself should be dirt cheap, and it takes about 10-15 minutes to replace it. (Just did that personally in my car this year)
The exhaust at worst will just fall off at some point, but long before that it usually becomes very noisy, so you'll have time to replace it. And new one always corrodes about a year after being on a car, but it usually has lifespan of about 60 000 miles.

MOT like inspections seem to be oversensitive everywhere, but the British is simply mental.

(Original post by IWMTom)
If the coil springs are corroded, they'll probably snap soon.
It's some thick steel. It will take 2 or 3 decades before corrosion will get them destroyed. Coil springs usually snap due to material fatigue after long mileage or as an effect of overloading. I have a 20 years old car myself, seen older cars with original rusty spring, never seen or heard about a car in which springs snapped just due to corrosion. It takes years for corrosion to destroy 1mm thin tins of bodywork, while coil springs usually have 13-16mm of thickness.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
It's some thick steel. It will take 2 or 3 decades before corrosion will get them destroyed. Coil springs usually snap due to material fatigue after long mileage or as an effect of overloading. I have a 20 years old car myself, seen older cars with original rusty spring, never seen or heard about a car in which springs snapped just due to corrosion. It takes years for corrosion to destroy 1mm thin tins of bodywork, while coil springs usually have 13-16mm of thickness.
I just had to change my rear coil springs because one side had snapped - when I looked at the intact side and the broken side, they had began to corrode in exactly the same spot (within 1mm, I mean EXACTLY the same) where the plastic protective layer was just completely gone.

I just assumed that on that basis, corrosion means they're probably weakened and ready to go.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
I just assumed that on that basis, corrosion means they're probably weakened and ready to go.
Corrosion attacks coil springs of suspension during the first few years in every car, and most don't need replacement before they get very old, or reach high mileage, like 190 k miles.
Of course there is corrosion and corrosion. I would need to see the spring for myself to tell if that needs a replacement. But even 1-2 mm deep corrosion should not cause a snap, just a change in characteristics at worse, the car would become softer and lower (before snapping eventually).
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
Corrosion attacks coil springs of suspension during the first few years in every car, and most don't need replacement before they get very old, or reach high mileage, like 190 k miles.
Of course there is corrosion and corrosion. I would need to see the spring for myself to tell if that needs a replacement. But even 1-2 mm deep corrosion should not cause a snap, just a change in characteristics at worse, the car would become softer and lower.
I'll trust your logic bud, seems flawless :P
Michaelj5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Coil springs will look corroded as they take the brunt of the weather.most are just **** off road.wouldnt worry about it.proberly won't even be an advisory next year.even with the same m o t engineer. So don't waste your money.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (7)
5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
17.14%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.14%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (20)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
29.29%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.14%

Watched Threads