The Student Room Group

Work experience and what else I should do

I'm 16 and am about to go to sixth form starting in September.
I really want to study medicine but am confused about things to do with work experience , shadowing and voluntary work, and anything else to help me get a good uni place. What should/can I do?
Reply 1
Try contacting your local hospital to do some volunteering, care homes are also good.

Also contact your local GP surgery to see if you can shadow any doctors.
Original post by velvett
I really want to study medicine but am confused about things to do with work experience , shadowing and voluntary work, and anything else to help me get a good uni place. What should/can I do?

Hi there!

For an overall introduction to the steps it takes to study Medicine, try reading our Step-by-Step Guide to Medicine. This details admissions tests like the BMAT, UKCAT and medical school interview process.

Regarding work experience, try contacting local hospitals/care homes/GPs and asking if you can complete a placement. You can read a guide to the different types of work experience - and how to find them - here:

- Hospital placements
- Volunteering placements
- GP placements

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Original post by velvett

I used to volunteer in the emergency department of my local hospital, I should be going to university this September to study adult nursing. Definitely worth asking about voluntary, shadowing or work experience opportunities at your local hospital.
St John ambulance is another option.
Also worth asking at your sixth form college for advice when you start, some colleges have connections to hospitals etc or may be able to give you some ideas of where previous students have gained experience.
You may need to have a DBS (disclosure and barring service) check done, but for unpaid or voluntary work this is free and normally fairly easy to sort out. You may also be asked to provide a character reference too.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending