What is 'media analysis'? How does it relate to my Geography project on Culture? HELP

Watch
lauren_124
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am doing an A-Level Geography project for 20% of my final grade and my project is on 'How has culture successfully been used as a method of re-imaging and rebranding a city?' (I have a city in mind, but you don't need to know it for this question). The city I have chosen has already got signs of culutre being used as a rebranding method by having art exhibitions, a new cinema as well as theatre. 'Culture' in geograohy for my project means - theatre, art, music, cinema etc.

My teacher guided me through some data collection methods and representation of data ideas and I wrote them down, but now coming back to look at my notes I am unsure what she has meant when I have wrote down 'Media Analysis' could anyone help me out with how I would use this method to prove my project hypothisis, 'Culture has been used successfully to re-image and regenerate a city'?

I have also got together some other data collection ideas such as questionnaires, collection of postcode data for Sphere of Influence and footfall figures, but if you have any other ideas please can you help me and write them below and also any web links or books you recommend?

Thanks
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lauren_124)
I am doing an A-Level Geography project for 20% of my final grade and my project is on 'How has culture successfully been used as a method of re-imaging and rebranding a city?' (I have a city in mind, but you don't need to know it for this question). The city I have chosen has already got signs of culutre being used as a rebranding method by having art exhibitions, a new cinema as well as theatre. 'Culture' in geograohy for my project means - theatre, art, music, cinema etc.

My teacher guided me through some data collection methods and representation of data ideas and I wrote them down, but now coming back to look at my notes I am unsure what she has meant when I have wrote down 'Media Analysis' could anyone help me out with how I would use this method to prove my project hypothisis, 'Culture has been used successfully to re-image and regenerate a city'?

I have also got together some other data collection ideas such as questionnaires, collection of postcode data for Sphere of Influence and footfall figures, but if you have any other ideas please can you help me and write them below and also any web links or books you recommend?

Thanks
It all totally depends on where you've chosen to be honest.

Off the top of my head I can think of Glasgow as a case study. It was known as 'No Mean City' and had a reputation for it's high crime rate/ low life expectancy.

However in the 80's it went through a rebranding exercise "Glasgow's Smiles Better" which was one of the earliest and most successful attempts at rebranding a city.
Following this is was name City of Culture in 1990 which catapulted it onto the international stage as a tourism spot for cultural and artistic exchange.

If you're talking about media analysis you could compare the types of news media that were prevalent pre and post intervention. You could look at global advertising and how the city was postured. Even television programs- where Glasgow used to be famous for the gritty Scottish detective show Taggart (80s) - some of it's most popular television personalities of the 00's were Colin and Justin (interior designers).

The media also creates legitimacy for culture. Positive reviews or media coverage about the arts for example.
lauren_124
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Friffinghell)
It all totally depends on where you've chosen to be honest.

Off the top of my head I can think of Glasgow as a case study. It was known as 'No Mean City' and had a reputation for it's high crime rate/ low life expectancy.

However in the 80's it went through a rebranding exercise "Glasgow's Smiles Better" which was one of the earliest and most successful attempts at rebranding a city.
Following this is was name City of Culture in 1990 which catapulted it onto the international stage as a tourism spot for cultural and artistic exchange.

If you're talking about media analysis you could compare the types of news media that were prevalent pre and post intervention. You could look at global advertising and how the city was postured. Even television programs- where Glasgow used to be famous for the gritty Scottish detective show Taggart (80s) - some of it's most popular television personalities of the 00's were Colin and Justin (interior designers).

The media also creates legitimacy for culture. Positive reviews or media coverage about the arts for example.
The city is Chester. Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
56.79%
I don't have everything I need (194)
43.21%

Watched Threads