Have I been unconditionally accepted by this Sixth Form? A confusing letter. Watch

SufyaanShah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Yo wazzup wastemans its ur roadman boi Sufyaan here.

*ahem* I have received a letter from a Sixth Form and I am very intrigued yet confused by this letter.

This letter, states that the following

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sufyaan Abdul Mohammad Awald Bin Muhammad Abu Syed Sayyid Shah,

Enrolment for you will be at 4:20pm on 24 August 2017.

Please come to the school via the school entrance and make sure you have your GCSE results with you. Your grade predictions provided in your application indicate that you may not meet the subject entry requirements for the courses that you have selected. If this is the case, you will need to be prepared to discuss more appropriate subjects for you to take.

We are an oversubscribed 6th Form and we will be not be able to provide a place for all applicants. For this reason, it is important that you attend your appointment at the time indicated above. Any applicants that do not secure a place initially will be placed onto the waiting list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First line,

> Enrolment for you

So does that mean no matter what, I have an enrolment reserved for me. Further evidence to support this, is the lack of comment by the Sixth Form implying that I will be rejected if my grades are low. In fact, in regards to this, I'm told that if I don't meet the entry requirements, I "will need to be prepared to discuss more appropriate subjects for" me to take.

HOWEVER, the school then states that they "are an oversubscribed 6th Form" and don't have space for all applicants. And then it goes on to state that "it' is important that you attend your appointment" but wait the first line said enrolment now it's an appointment?

Then it talks about "any applicants that do not secure a place" what does that mean? How do I not secure my place? By getting low grades or by not coming to the appointment-enrolment-hybrid on time?

I'm on average a Grade B student (hear that ladies? Roadman nowadays are clever.)

I also got an email from this Sixth Form a few weeks later.

https://s1.postimg.org/nh98pdobz/76xlja2gzlbz.png

Again, now they call it "enrolment process" MAKE UP YOUR MIND and they ask for MONEY. In my opinion, you don't ask for money unless the deal is going to happen 100% man that'd be bare sad for anyone that goes there with £60 of their pocket money and then the Sixth Form says "no sorry you're too stupid go away" brah if I was that guy I'd look at the £60 as cursed.

And they ask for proof as well, like it sounds like this school is 100% committed to having me but I don't know cause they talk like my girl Fatima who says one thing but means another thing, actually I should break up with her.

So if anyone can help me....then help me. Please.

Thanks.
That'sGreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A) Don't know why you've included your whole name B) Why on earth is your name that long C) No it's not unconditional, read it properly.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dear god... That name...

I hope you're not planning to go on University Challenge. The lightbox for your name would take up the whole desk! Roger Tilling would be gasping for breath after saying your name when the buzzer goes off.

Unfortunately, it's not an unconditional offer. The letter even states that the sixth form is oversubscribed - Why would they give you an unconditional offer if that's the case?
username3025040
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's conditional and also your parents don't love you
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by orderofthelotus)
It's conditional and also your parents don't love you
Can you imagine what his debit card must look like? XD
username3025040
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Can you imagine what his debit card must look like? XD
I'm hoping it was a joke. :rofl: Certainly got a laugh out of me.
ManLike007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SufyaanShah)

*ahem* I have received a letter from a Sixth Form and I am very intrigued yet confused by this letter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please come to the school via the school entrance and make sure you have your GCSE results with you. Your grade predictions provided in your application indicate that you may not meet the subject entry requirements for the courses that you have selected. If this is the case, you will need to be prepared to discuss more appropriate subjects for you to take.

We are an oversubscribed 6th Form and we will be not be able to provide a place for all applicants. For this reason, it is important that you attend your appointment at the time indicated above. Any applicants that do not secure a place initially will be placed onto the waiting list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First line,

> Enrolment for you

So does that mean no matter what, I have an enrolment reserved for me. Further evidence to support this, is the lack of comment by the Sixth Form implying that I will be rejected if my grades are low. In fact, in regards to this, I'm told that if I don't meet the entry requirements, I "will need to be prepared to discuss more appropriate subjects for" me to take.

HOWEVER, the school then states that they "are an oversubscribed 6th Form" and don't have space for all applicants. And then it goes on to state that "it' is important that you attend your appointment" but wait the first line said enrolment now it's an appointment?

Then it talks about "any applicants that do not secure a place" what does that mean? How do I not secure my place? By getting low grades or by not coming to the appointment-enrolment-hybrid on time?

I'm on average a Grade B student (hear that ladies? Roadman nowadays are clever.)

Again, now they call it "enrolment process" MAKE UP YOUR MIND and they ask for MONEY. In my opinion, you don't ask for money unless the deal is going to happen 100% man that'd be bare sad for anyone that goes there with £60 of their pocket money and then the Sixth Form says "no sorry you're too stupid go away" brah if I was that guy I'd look at the £60 as cursed.

And they ask for proof as well, like it sounds like this school is 100% committed to having me but I don't know cause they talk like my girl Fatima who says one thing but means another thing, actually I should break up with her.

Thanks.
I fully rate your name fam
chelseadagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

First line,

> Enrolment for you

Thanks.
You do not have an unconditional offer. They aren't sure that you'll meet the grade requirements to get in with the course you want to do, so want to discuss possible alternative options for you. Enrolment, in this case, is where they'll look at the grades you have achieved and decide whether you have a place with them or not and if not will discuss possible alternatives with you
SufyaanShah
Rep:
?
Dear god... That name...

I hope you're not planning to go on University Challenge. The lightbox for your name would take up the whole desk! Roger Tilling would be gasping for breath after saying your name when the buzzer goes off.

Unfortunately, it's not an unconditional offer. The letter even states that the sixth form is oversubscribed - Why would they give you an unconditional offer if that's the case?
I understand it's not unconditional in the literal sense, first I doubt they're really oversubscribed, second it's the lack of implication that if my grades are low, I won't be accepted but rather I'd have to discuss other subjects to take.
SufyaanShah
Rep:
?
I'm hoping it was a joke. :rofl: Certainly got a laugh out of me.
Yeah that's not actually my real name lol, my name is a lot longer than that.
username3025040
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah that's not actually my real name lol, my name is a lot longer than that.
Does it still have two spelling variants of the name Muhammad in it?
SufyaanShah
Rep:
?
Does it still have two spelling variants of the name Muhammad in it?
Yeah it has Muhammad, Mohammad, Muhamad, Mohamad and Muhammed.
username3025040
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah it has Muhammad, Mohammad, Muhamad, Mohamad and Muhammed.
Oh my Thor I'M LAUGHING SO HARD

That sixth form better accept you :rofl:
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That is a confusing letter.

It doesn't imply you have an unconditional offer but it's not clear whether you have a conditional one (or rather, what the conditions are). If you missed the appointment or did not have any of the required things with you, I'd say it's pretty certain you won't get a place; grades wise it seems to be flexible, in that there may be other options available if you don't meet your grades (but it depends and there's no guarantee).

The problem comes with the if you get your grades scenario... it's not very clear whether you would definitely have a place in this case. The letter is ambiguously worded, they are dancing around the point instead of just stating what they mean. I guess there's no harm in ringing them to ask if they can clarify the final part of the letter, explicitly whether you might not get a place even if you get the grades and attend with the paperwork when required. However, realistically, since they're asking for money on that day that means they must know by that day whether you've got a place or not (as they can't take the money from you if you're not going, or if they intend to that's completely out of order), which would imply that they are only going to be making that decision based on grades and whether you turn up. Unless they 'fill up' courses throughout results day and those with later appointments have less chance of getting a place.

Whatever the outcome this seems like an unnecessarily complex process, and I see no reason to do these appointments on actual results day... give people a chance to look at their results, make decisions and celebrate/get over disappointment!
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OP: This is not unconditional.

They are saying your enrolment on the courses you originally requested will depend on your subject grades, however, even achieving those grades may not guarantee a place dependent on oversubscription. i.e. they have a priority order and have the right to select the highest achieving students. Only if there are still places left after merit selection, will you possibly be offered some or all of the courses you want.

If you are not successful for either reason (not achieving good enough grades and/or oversubscription), then you may still be offered alternative courses on the enrolment day, which you should be prepared to discuss and contractually accept or reject.

All of this will take place on the 24th day of August. Hence why they want you to bring your GCSE certificates.

This is a high pressure sales technique to fill up their courses with the most able students and squeeze out the competition - sign the contract today with whatever you are offered or the offer will be removed. Hmmmmmm. Not nice.
SufyaanShah
Rep:
?
Oh my Thor I'M LAUGHING SO HARD

That sixth form better accept you :rofl:
Yes, thank you! I nave name privilege!
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

:rofl: :lol:
sophia5892
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd interpret this as:

Miss your appointment or not show up with the correct documents = won't get a place

Meet the grades required for your chosen subjects = you have a place

Don't meet the grades required for your chosen subjects = they may be able to take you depending on the grades achieved/eligibility for alternative subjects, what alternative subjects they have space in and what subjects you're willing to take.

The sixth form I applied to was quite competitive and I know when they considered applicants it wasn't just based off GCSE predicted grades, but also what subjects the student wanted and how many students they could accommodate for each subject. I know that maths/sciences had more available places but more students applying than foreign languages did, for example.

As for the £60, it sounds like this appointment will decide whether you are registering there or not. So they won't take the money from students who've missed their offer and can't be enrolled on alternative courses.

At least that's my interpretation!

Good luck
immigrant #963
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bloody hell do you really need 10 names?
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dear Mr Shah

Thank you for applying for a place at Bear's Academy for Roadmen. We shall give you a practical test to verify your claim to be a boner faiiid roadman.
The test will consist of practical hip-hop skilz ( please bring a cushion to protect your melon on the head-spin section ) and nollidge of the lyrics of various artistes who have influenced the roadman scene, nomsayin' ?

Yours sincerely

Grandmaster Shaquille O'Pheel
MA PGCE
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (426)
43.74%
No (103)
10.57%
I'm not old enough (445)
45.69%

Watched Threads