Question for vegans/vegetarians:

Watch
This discussion is closed.
satsuuki
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm a vegetarian because I don't like the way animals are killed for public consumption. It's so immoral and the suffering the animals endure is totally unnecessary, therefore if a person were to kill an animal because it was their only source of nutrition then yeah it'd be fine to me: only a few will experience any pain and you know the animals won't go to waste or be tortured/harmed in the process. Everyone has their own opinion though. ☺️
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kathy89)
Search b12 injection cattle in google there will be planty of sources.
In addition visit some farms and talk to the veterinarians there. 1 person source, what could be better?!
I have worked on farms and studied agriculture, trace elements injections are not routine and are only used when the animal is showing signs of illness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
QE2
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The B12 found in meat is artificially added as an injection to the animal
Bullocks?
Do they also inject fish, eggs and cheese?

The NHS advise that a vegan diet is one of the usual causes of B12 deficiency, and even the Vegan Society admits that people on a vegan diet should take B12 supplements.

Why do vegans so often seem to need to make **** up about meat? It's like the same kind belief reinforcement we see in religions.
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by satsuuki)
I'm a vegetarian because I don't like the way animals are killed for public consumption. ️
So you don't mind private consumption?

Posted from TSR Mobile
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Search b12 injection cattle in google there will be planty of sources.
I did. And they all talk about B12 supplement injections for animals with a deficiency. That is not the same as claiming that B12 in meat needs to be added by injection! lol. And that doesn't account for fish or eggs or dairy. Or are you claiming that all animals receive B12 injections - even wild ones?
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm a vegetarian because I don't like the way animals are killed for public consumption. It's so immoral and the suffering the animals endure is totally unnecessary, therefore if a person were to kill an animal because it was their only source of nutrition then yeah it'd be fine to me: only a few will experience any pain and you know the animals won't go to waste or be tortured/harmed in the process. Everyone has their own opinion though. ☺️
So if a pig is kept like a pet, and then killed in its sleep, your fine with eating that meat?
satsuuki
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Meany Pie)
So you don't mind private consumption?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends. If a farmer raises their own cattle and looks after them well, they're going to live a longer and happier life than cattle that get sent to the slaughterhouse after being treated poorly. If they choose to kill the animal and eat it, then okay because that's their cow and they treated it well, so in that sense private consumption is ok.
satsuuki
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by QE2)
So if a pig is kept like a pet, and then killed in its sleep, your fine with eating that meat?
If someone came along and killed my pet pig without my knowledge, would I eat it? No..
pinkisthefloyd
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by angelike1)
Is it perfectly moral for someone to kill and eat animals if they don't have the alternative sources of nutrition that you would get from meat (e.g. it's either not affordable or just not accessible)?
Yes. I am a staunch vegetarian, never touched meat in my life. But I've always maintained that if it was a necessity, I'd consume meat. I just don't see the rampant mistreatment and cruelty of animal slaughter justified for the taste of the meat. If animals were hunted and treated better, I'd still be vegetarian, but I would be able to view non-vegetarianism positively as well.
Moura
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is it perfectly moral for someone to kill and eat animals if they don't have the alternative sources of nutrition that you would get from meat (e.g. it's either not affordable or just not accessible)?
yes, of course. however meat should not be cheaper than plant-based foods. if it is then there's a serious problem.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If someone came along and killed my pet pig without my knowledge, would I eat it? No..
But that wasn't what I asked.
If a livestock animal was treated like a pet (by someone else) and gently killed in its sleep, would you eat that meat if it was served to you?
miser
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Pure veganism is often impossible, so the definition of veganism isn't a lifestyle 100% free from animal use, it's to be as free from animal use as possible.
satsuuki
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by QE2)
But that wasn't what I asked.
If a livestock animal was treated like a pet (by someone else) and gently killed in its sleep, would you eat that meat if it was served to you?
Well no because I'm a vegetarian? I don't eat meat. But to me that is ethical enough, if the animal was treated 'like' a pet then it must've been cared for.
Kathy89
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by QE2)
Bullocks?
Do they also inject fish, eggs and cheese?

The NHS advise that a vegan diet is one of the usual causes of B12 deficiency, and even the Vegan Society admits that people on a vegan diet should take B12 supplements.

Why do vegans so often seem to need to make **** up about meat? It's like the same kind belief reinforcement we see in religions.
(Original post by QE2)
I did. And they all talk about B12 supplement injections for animals with a deficiency. That is not the same as claiming that B12 in meat needs to be added by injection! lol. And that doesn't account for fish or eggs or dairy. Or are you claiming that all animals receive B12 injections - even wild ones?
eggs and dairy have little B12, just like Organic roots and chlorella.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well no because I'm a vegetarian? I don't eat meat. But to me that is ethical enough, if the animal was treated 'like' a pet then it must've been cared for.
Sorry, I thought you said you were a vegetarian because of the way animals are treated and killed.
satsuuki
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by QE2)
Sorry, I thought you said you were a vegetarian because of the way animals are treated and killed.
I am, but even so I still don't want to eat meat. Lots of others have said the same thing as me so why am I being questioned?
ukrj
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
>> Is it perfectly moral for someone to kill and eat animals if they don't have the alternative sources of nutrition that you would get from meat (e.g. it's either not affordable or just not accessible)?

No, it is not moral to kill animals for your palate. In this country there is no dearth of food so this is an academic argument.

When I was young my teachers would say certain amino acids are only available in meat/eggs so being veg would mean i'm malnourished. Well if you took one look at me or my kids you'd never say we were malnourished. Its all BS, you will have excellent health being vegetarian.
niv1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah definitely! I've been vegetarian for just over 5 years now but I don't think its immoral for other people to eat meat especially if that is the only food available to them!
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
eggs and dairy have little B12, just like Organic roots and chlorella.
Half a pint of milk, 50g of cheese or two eggs can provide up to half of the average required intake of B12.
Clorella is a food supplement.
Root vegetables contain no B12.

As I said - made-up stuff to self-justify belief.
pasiley.lea
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's all about your intention I'd say. In order to survive if I was in the wild or something I would eat meat.
But that's me and all vegetarians are different.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (52)
28.57%
No (130)
71.43%

Watched Threads