Chemical Synthesis question

Watch
kristiqn91
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,
I am very interested in studying Chemistry to make chemicals and synthesise them but there is no information on the topic. Can someone point me to a book please?
Cheers
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
E J Corey's The Logic of Chemical Synthesis
MexicanKeith
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kristiqn91)
Hello,
I am very interested in studying Chemistry to make chemicals and synthesise them but there is no information on the topic. Can someone point me to a book please?
Cheers
The basis of any chemical synthesis is the understanding and application of a large range of simple reactions. During a synthesis you must be aware of the limitations of the various reactions in order to choose a viable and ideally an efficient route to a product.

The book by Corey already recommended is good. I also quite like
"Organic synthesis: A disconnection approach" by Warren (specifically focusing on retrosynthesis)

Another place with lots of often highly complex examples
"Classics in total synthesis" by Nicolaou

It's worth point out that you can't really go about synthesis without first having a decent grip on a wide range of reactions. As such, synthesis is normally left until the later years of a chemistry degree, so that the earlier years can lay the ground work. I guess what I'm saying is that "sythesis" isn't a topic one can learn without having a much wider knowledge of the chemical transformations a chemist has at their disposal.

(Just as an example, one of my favourites and certainly an absolutely classic synthesis is Woorward's synthesis of Reserpine)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (17)
7.17%
October 2021 (116)
48.95%
November 2021 (23)
9.7%
December 2021 (31)
13.08%
January 2021 (21)
8.86%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (22)
9.28%