Nazi Germany Holocaust Watch

Ninja Squirrel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can someone explain to me how a developed country in the 20th century not motivated by religion could possibly support an event such as the holocaust?

This is the kind of event you'd expect to happen during the middle ages not the 1900's. Why didn't the politicians and military object to Hitlers vision? Surely such an advanced country would have rejected such a plan?
Ryanthom100
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you done gcse history on nazi germany?
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is very simple, propaganda and indoctrination.
Marc575
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
By the time of the Holocaust the Nazis had already established a virtual dictatorship between the enabling act and reichstag fire decree there was no political opposition nor could there be
RBP_98
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
religion did play a factor (albeit a small one) - Germany was a very religious country (Catholic and Lutheran) and so the anti-jewish sentiments espoused by Hitler resonated well with some ordinary Germans who wanted a strong Christian nation once again (ring any bells in the 21st century - a political leader capitalising on the desire for a nation to be strong and Christian again?)
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
they did not feel bad about the Nazi regime... for most Germans most of the time before the war it was a good experience. visitors were pleasantly surprised about how much smarter and better organised things were as the 1930s progressed.
the dark side was kept well hidden both from other countries and most German citizens until the war was well under way.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Quickly123)
None of the labour camps that were situated in Germany proper had homicidal gas chambers. Nobody is disputing this.

After liberating Auschwitz, the Soviets did not allow outsiders into the Auschwitz complex for several years. When they finally did, they had turned Auschwitz into a museum with a reconstructed gas chamber and a new, much larger chimney. The first Soviet Union government was at least 80% Jewish, according to Vladimir Putin.

For eyewitness reports, watch Youtube: Holocaust survivors who tell the truth
A typically ill thought out argument from yet another 'first time poster' who has probably been banned many times before under other names.

By linking Soviet actions regarding Auschwitz and Putin's statement, you appear to be trying to insinuate that Jewish communists were responsible for faking what happened there. Yet there is absolutely no evidence that Putin's strange claim has any basis in fact. If you look at the makeup of the Council of People's Commissars you will have a hard time finding anyone of Jewish origin apart from Trotsky. Even more salient is that of the 16 council members no less than 10 were killed by Stalin in the 1930s. This makes your link ridiculous.

And instead of watching YouTube videos I suggest that anyone reading this thread should read serious history books on the subject, such as those by Van Pelt on Auschwitz or Longerich on the Holocaust.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Command&Conquer)
Can someone explain to me how a developed country in the 20th century not motivated by religion could possibly support an event such as the holocaust?

This is the kind of event you'd expect to happen during the middle ages not the 1900's. Why didn't the politicians and military object to Hitlers vision? Surely such an advanced country would have rejected such a plan?
It could happen again, too, crazy as that sounds. Maybe a different group of people, but the same concept. Never underestimate the stupidity of human beings.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
A typically ill thought out argument from yet another 'first time poster' who has probably been banned many times before under other names.
And has been banned again...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads