This discussion is closed.
Sarvin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys,I am really regretting trusting foundation programme in UCLan. I met all the requirements for medicine and I worked really hard in the last 7 months but unfortunately I was the only one in our foundation course that could not pass the interview step! This is the unfairest thing in this world, I had to pass 6 stations out of 8, I passed only 5 stations and it ruined my summer I really don't know what to do. Is it possible to get into medicine through clearing 2017?
QuentinM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Medicine is so competitive, at 10 applicants per place in some areas, that there is no chance of getting a clearing spot for medicine-probably hasn't been one since clearing existed. You're going to have to wait until next year.

Bit of advice, don't blame everyone else and say its the "unfairest thing" that you werent accepted but everyone else was. There must have been reasons you messed up on each of those three interview stations. Its best to think about WHY you failed in each one and learn from those mistakes. If you are fortunate enough to get another interview, are you really going to go in and explain that it was so unfair that they rejected you, if it happens to come up that you have applied before and failed.

Maybe your empathy, enthusiasm, experience or something didnt come through enough. Try and think about what it was and learn from those mistakes-it may not just help in the scope of this interview, either.
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sarvin)
Hi guys,I am really regretting trusting foundation programme in UCLan. I met all the requirements for medicine and I worked really hard in the last 7 months but unfortunately I was the only one in our foundation course that could not pass the interview step! This is the unfairest thing in this world, I had to pass 6 stations out of 8, I passed only 5 stations and it ruined my summer I really don't know what to do. Is it possible to get into medicine through clearing 2017?
St George's were in clearing last year, but I believe you had to have done the UKCAT. They don't appear to be in clearing this year, however.

It's very unlikely tbh. Best option is to take a gap year and apply.
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4851676

Possible as sgul and Sheffield according to link above have previously been in clearing but very very very unlikely so don't bank on it.
Sarvin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by usycool1)
St George's were in clearing last year, but I believe you had to have done the UKCAT. They don't appear to be in clearing this year, however.

MBBS course is still in courses that are available in clearing 2017 in st. George's. You're right, I had to take UKCAT but actually, I have studied my highschool studies in Iran and they do accept it. I am worried if there wouldn't be any spaces left. Should I start calling them on August 16th or 17th?
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by usycool1)

(Original post by Dwarf-Shortage)
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4851676

Possible as sgul and Sheffield according to link above have previously been in clearing but very very very unlikely so don't bank on it.
Wait for real? I thought because they had so many applicants, they could give like 20% offers than they were expecting, knowing some people would reject them, and they had a huge pool of borderline interview candidates to choose from that this didnt happen.
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by QuentinM)
Wait for real? I thought because they had so many applicants, they could give like 20% offers than they were expecting, knowing some people would reject them, and they had a huge pool of borderline interview candidates to choose from that this didnt happen.
Yep, they were. It was the first time it's ever happened.
Ladymusiclover
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
St georges uni has clearing for medicine (I know this for a fact). I think Liverpool do too but I'm not 100% sure
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well there you go....bear in mind these will be taken up VERY quickly, and will be uber-competitive, so good luck to anyone who dares try.
BlueSpikes
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by QuentinM)
Medicine is so competitive, at 10 applicants per place in some areas, that there is no chance of getting a clearing spot for medicine-probably hasn't been one since clearing existed. You're going to have to wait until next year.

Bit of advice, don't blame everyone else and say its the "unfairest thing" that you werent accepted but everyone else was. There must have been reasons you messed up on each of those three interview stations. Its best to think about WHY you failed in each one and learn from those mistakes. If you are fortunate enough to get another interview, are you really going to go in and explain that it was so unfair that they rejected you, if it happens to come up that you have applied before and failed.

Maybe your empathy, enthusiasm, experience or something didnt come through enough. Try and think about what it was and learn from those mistakes-it may not just help in the scope of this interview, either.
Your so wrong regarding medicine in clearing. You really upset this person with false info too... man.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8#post82697698
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads