Deliberating over A-levels for Computer Science at Reading?

Watch
unknown_usr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I didn't really know which threat to put this in, so I went with this one because it's overall more to do with uni than a-levels.

My school is pretty rigorous, so I need to a)finalize A-Level choices and b)have a good idea of what I want to do at uni by September - ideally sooner. I'm looking at courses for uni and I think I've found one that I'd love to go to BUT I'm unsure of what A-Levels are required.

http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-st...r-science.aspx

It says: AAB-ABB with GCSE Mathematics at grade B

But every other university computing course that I've checked, both higher and lower in the league tables than Reading, require A-Level maths and like for candidates to do physics or one of the other sciences, so I'm really confused at the lack of specification in the requirements for A-Level subjects.

I'd love to avoid having to do maths if I possibly can since I absolutely hatemaths (ya and before anyone says anything maths and computing are nothing alike lmao),though I'd probably be able to scrape an A if I had to do it. However, I am sure that if I don't go into art then I'm going to go into computer science since I'm so passionate about it and so I'm prepared to stick out 2 years of maths if it'll get me into uni.

I picked out Reading especially because it seems, from what I've heard, to be a pretty good uni and it heavily implies that A-Level maths isn't needed for this particular course, but it sounds a bit too good to be true so I kind of need a second opinion lmao.

So my questions are: do you think I should take A-Level maths to get into this course? What kinds of A-Levels are they looking for? If maths isn't needed, should I take physics just to be safe/show them I can actually do science subjects?

Art
Computer Science
Latin/Classics
Maths/Physics
Thanks!
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by unknown_usr)
I didn't really know which threat to put this in, so I went with this one because it's overall more to do with uni than a-levels.

My school is pretty rigorous, so I need to a)finalize A-Level choices and b)have a good idea of what I want to do at uni by September - ideally sooner. I'm looking at courses for uni and I think I've found one that I'd love to go to BUT I'm unsure of what A-Levels are required.

[/i]

But every other university computing course that I've checked, both higher and lower in the league tables than Reading, require A-Level maths and like for candidates to do physics or one of the other sciences, so I'm really confused at the lack of specification in the requirements for A-Level subjects.

I'd love to avoid having to do maths if I possibly can since I absolutely hatemaths (ya and before anyone says anything maths and computing are nothing alike lmao),though I'd probably be able to scrape an A if I had to do it. However, I am sure that if I don't go into art then I'm going to go into computer science since I'm so passionate about it and so I'm prepared to stick out 2 years of maths if it'll get me into uni.

I picked out Reading especially because it seems, from what I've heard, to be a pretty good uni and it heavily implies that A-Level maths isn't needed for this particular course, but it sounds a bit too good to be true so I kind of need a second opinion lmao.

So my questions are: do you think I should take A-Level maths to get into this course? What kinds of A-Levels are they looking for? If maths isn't needed, should I take physics just to be safe/show them I can actually do science subjects?

Art
Computer Science
Latin/Classics
Maths/Physics
Thanks!
Hating Mathematics and wanting to do computer science... well that does seem to be odd seeing how mathematics heavy CS is

Some universities do not require a Maths A-Level for you to do computer science as they might be teaching the maths from the ground up during first year. However, not choosing mathematics at A-Level will severely limit your choice of universities when choosing to pursue a CS degree.

However, if you definitely do not want to do maths A-Level then I know Nottingham and Leeds will also accept you.

Physics is also a good choice (if you like physics that is). Computer Science A-Level isn't required by any university as the degree structure assumes no prior programming or CS knowledge.
unknown_usr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Hating Mathematics and wanting to do computer science... well that does seem to be odd seeing how mathematics heavy CS is
I know lmao. Everyone says that, but to me the two subjects are so different.

Some universities do not require a Maths A-Level for you to do computer science as they might be teaching the maths from the ground up during first year. However, not choosing mathematics at A-Level will severely limit your choice of universities when choosing to pursue a CS degree.
Yeahhhh that what I was thinking. I really want to do a CS-related career, so I'm seriously considering struggling through another 2 years of maths, especially since I know I'm able to get an A in it (even though it would be boring af)

However, if you definitely do not want to do maths A-Level then I know Nottingham and Leeds will also accept you.
I'd really like to go to a Russel Group uni if possible... all of which need A-Level maths. Ya I think I'm going to have to do maths lmao.

Physics is also a good choice (if you like physics that is). Computer Science A-Level isn't required by any university as the degree structure assumes no prior programming or CS knowledge.
CS is my 'fun' A-Level, since I already know practically all of the syllabus and I really don't wanna give it up. So, choosing between maths and physics A-Level, I'd probs need to do maths. Thanks for the help!
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know lmao. Everyone says that, but to me the two subjects are so different.

Yeahhhh that what I was thinking. I really want to do a CS-related career, so I'm seriously considering struggling through another 2 years of maths, especially since I know I'm able to get an A in it (even though it would be boring af)

I'd really like to go to a Russel Group uni if possible... all of which need A-Level maths. Ya I think I'm going to have to do maths lmao.

CS is my 'fun' A-Level, since I already know practically all of the syllabus and I really don't wanna give it up. So, choosing between maths and physics A-Level, I'd probs need to do maths. Thanks for the help!
Nottingham and Leeds are in the RG and do not require maths to do study CS. Not that going to an RG is necessarily important, though.

Whatever you choose, good luck
unknown_usr
Rep:
?
Wow are the actually? I had no idea lmao. Ah maybe I won't have to suffer 2 years of maths after all. I'll keep thinking about it over the summer
LeenFreestyle
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm assuming you have to take 4 A-levels in Lower at your school but if you're seriously set on Computer Science and would like to go to a Russell Group university then your best bet is Maths and Further Maths and the rest of your choices being subjects you enjoy. With the new A-level Mathematics curriculum, I don't know whether it is still possible to stacks Maths and Further Maths in one slot but it's highly recommended for most top CS students to do Further Maths; Maths is compulsory. You may want to reconsider your course because especially if you are planning on going to a Russell Group university there will be LOTS of maths involved. Try thinking about what parts of computer science you enjoy and whether there is a more specific subject area that hones into those areas because a general CS degree will involve Mathematics at every avenue. The computing GCSE's and A-levels don't really show this but there is a reason why an A in A-level maths is a requirement at most of these places because it is more important than any other discipline in becoming a good computer scientist.
unknown_usr
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeenFreestyle)
I'm assuming you have to take 4 A-levels in Lower at your school but if you're seriously set on Computer Science and would like to go to a Russell Group university then your best bet is Maths and Further Maths and the rest of your choices being subjects you enjoy. With the new A-level Mathematics curriculum, I don't know whether it is still possible to stacks Maths and Further Maths in one slot but it's highly recommended for most top CS students to do Further Maths; Maths is compulsory. You may want to reconsider your course because especially if you are planning on going to a Russell Group university there will be LOTS of maths involved. Try thinking about what parts of computer science you enjoy and whether there is a more specific subject area that hones into those areas because a general CS degree will involve Mathematics at every avenue. The computing GCSE's and A-levels don't really show this but there is a reason why an A in A-level maths is a requirement at most of these places because it is more important than any other discipline in becoming a good computer scientist.

Thanks for the help! Yea that definitely gave me a lot to think about. We have to take 4 A-Levels, but we can drop one or take one to AS if we want to. I'm going to have to really consider maths... CS is something I've been passionate about since I got my first laptop when I was 11, and it's something that will really help me get into the line of work I want to do.
PrettymuchGod
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Computer science is a broad subject so some unis make mathematical modules compulsory and others do not, in addition, if the uni's course has most of their compulsory mathematical modules in year 2/3 they may choose to teach math from a lower point in year 1, meaning the maths entry requirement can be widely different among similarly performing institutions.
unknown_usr
Rep:
?
(Original post by XOR_)
Computer science is a broad subject so some unis make mathematical modules compulsory and others do not, in addition, if the uni's course has most of their compulsory mathematical modules in year 2/3 they may choose to teach math from a lower point in year 1, meaning the maths entry requirement can be widely different among similarly performing institutions.
Thanks! That's tres helpful.
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Rather than computer science, you may want to do software engineering if you want to learn practical skills of computing.
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

[/i]

Art
Computer Science
Latin/Classics
Maths/Physics
Thanks!

Hi,

It's good to see that you are thinking about choosing Reading as a university to apply to. You are right in thinking that we do not require A level maths to study Computer Science at UoR. However, it is integrated into first and second year modules, as shown on the webpage for BSc Computer Science, which gives example modules such as mathematics and statistics. This means that the topic is taught to all students, regardless of which A Levels they have studied.

I hope this clears up your dilemma a little.

Ben
Second Year Human and Physical Geography
unknown_usr
Rep:
?
(Original post by UniofReading)
Hi,

It's good to see that you are thinking about choosing Reading as a university to apply to. You are right in thinking that we do not require A level maths to study Computer Science at UoR. However, it is integrated into first and second year modules, as shown on the webpage for BSc Computer Science, which gives example modules such as mathematics and statistics. This means that the topic is taught to all students, regardless of which A Levels they have studied.

I hope this clears up your dilemma a little.

Ben
Second Year Human and Physical Geography
Thanks for the reply! One more question - do you know what grade is required on the 9-1 system that's being used this year?
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for the reply! One more question - do you know what grade is required on the 9-1 system that's being used this year?
Hi,

Currently a grade 6 is needed which is approximately equivalent to a B.
This can be seen on the Computer Science website: http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-st...r-science.aspx To find this you need to click on the banner that says: Quick Look Entry Requirements and then look at the sub heading: GCSE.

If there is anything else you'd like to know then ask away!

Dan
First Year Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (621)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.07%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.76%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads