Turn on thread page Beta

Dip Stick Students watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it strange that the GCSE grades are always gonig up every year and they are always breaking new records etc. Yet universities and businesses are complaining to the government that students with these qualifications are all too often coming to tehm without basic literacy and numerousy skills.
    Hm, i wonder what is going on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph_SOUTH)
    Isn't it strange that the GCSE grades are always gonig up every year and they are always breaking new records etc. Yet universities and businesses are complaining to the government that students with these qualifications are all too often coming to tehm without basic literacy and numerousy skills.
    Hm, i wonder what is going on.
    Perhaps if you could spell "them" correctly then you'd be in a position to comment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    Perhaps if you could spell "them" correctly then you'd be in a position to comment
    well said it annoys me how everybody complain about how GCSE are easier than it used to be on their time,people students these days study,,ok I say it was harder at the 80s,but I can swear m1,p2 june 2004 were two of the most hard papers from 2001 till 2003,I solved them all and never got as low as I got in these two,or maybe my adrinaline(sp?) works against me sometimes

ReputationRep:
    Why is dip stick used as an insult? It seems a very important part of the engine to me and if absent the oil could run out and the motor would get jammed up.
    Any ideas please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    Oh wow, he accidently pressed one key before the other while typing. This obviously means he isnt qualified to make a comment on the matter. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Could be, or, the teaching system could be cramming info into people faster than ever before but without taking time to ensure that pupils have got the basics (literacy and numeracy) down pat.
    the extra info picked up evidently isn't enough to satisfy universities who have now had to put on extra classes to teach concepts (both basic and advanced) that are taught in first year lectures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Oh wow, he accidently pressed one key before the other while typing. This obviously means he isnt qualified to make a comment on the matter. :rolleyes:
    Come on s/he was just kidding

ReputationRep:
    What annoys me is how every year without fail the newspapers and press come out with "new levels of dumbing down" in exam standards. The people who are backing the points up often don't have first hand experience of the exams and fail to take into account how students now do a lot more work in terms of self motivated learning (look at this forum), and wanting to do well themselves, and there are greater ways and means to do so. Does it not figure also that as knowledge of the exams and specifications increases, so do standards and results? It just devalues the achievements of those who have taken the exams.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well, I got an E, which is a pass, in further maths AS even though I did absolutely no work. I wouldn't say I was good at it, but I still passed!

I would assume it's the same with GCSEs; some students will do no work and get an E. So even though they're not good at the subjects they'll still pass!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.R)
    What annoys me is how every year without fail the newspapers and press come out with "new levels of dumbing down" in exam standards. The people who are backing the points up often don't have first hand experience of the exams and fail to take into account how students now do a lot more work in terms of self motivated learning (look at this forum), and wanting to do well themselves, and there are greater ways and means to do so. Does it not figure also that as knowledge of the exams and specifications increases, so do standards and results? It just devalues the achievements of those who have taken the exams.
    Completely agree. I worked damn hard for my exams and some of them I found so hard, I didnt do well cuz i found them easy, but because i worked for them!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil !*!)
    Completely agree. I worked damn hard for my exams and some of them I found so hard, I didnt do well cuz i found them easy, but because i worked for them!!!
    Yeah, that's exactly it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.R)

i have first-hand experience of the exams and think that one of their main purposes is to distinguish between candidates. this is not happening at the upper end so a complete revamp is needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Which would suggest that the exams are indeed 'easier'. I think its both though.

The education system seems to me to be results based rather than genuinely education based, i.e. get the pupils to know enough to pass their exams (i.e. regurgitate facts - yes I know this only applies to certain subjects) rather than ensure an all round, solid knowledge base.
    This is because of the governments all trying to play against each other

Labour: We are better than the tories because our results are improving year and year hence education has improved. Education has not improved, the methodolgy in getting people to pass has.

ReputationRep:
    Surly if the method of teahcing is better, then the results are better. And that still shows that education is improving? Its not just in what you teach, but how you teach.

ReputationRep:
    wow my, not the debate about "GCSE is getting harder or easier" again please...last i argued my head out about this it's never going to get anywhere

ReputationRep:
    then the results are better. And that still shows that education is improving? Its not just in what you teach, but how you teach.
    that's assuming that the method of teaching is, indeed, better. how do you justify this when the results can only be compared to the harder O-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    that's assuming that the method of teaching is, indeed, better. how do you justify this when the results can only be compared to the harder O-Levels?
    The O Levels are on a more focused level, deeper knowledge into fewer things. And they only do on exam. So peoplecan say they are harder. But for the GCSE students who work constantly for 2 years, and get graded for their final grade through coursework rom the beginning surely that is as bad? A final exam that is hard is one thing but they are being tested on 2 years work completely. We get tested constantly through cursework and modules and final exams. I dont think one can be said to be harder than the other. One student may find another harder, some people perform better in exams, other better in coursework. It depends on the person.

ReputationRep:
    People are taught to pass exams more than anything. They're instilled with those skills, but unfortunately they're not always transferable to real life situations, showing up an apparent incompetence. It’s an unfortunately side effect of performance league tables.

ReputationRep:
    but surely since everyone's taught in the same way it's sufficiently comparable?!

ReputationRep:
    The O Levels are on a more focused level, deeper knowledge into fewer things.
    what do you base that on? quite a few concepts covered at O-Level Maths have now been moved to AS-Level. where is the focus? source would be nice.

And they only do on exam. So peoplecan say they are harder. But for the GCSE students who work constantly for 2 years, and get graded for their final grade through coursework rom the beginning surely that is as bad?
    i found the subjects without any/with little coursework much more daunting than the 25-30% coursework subjects. suffice to say, whether spread-out assessment or finals-assessment is harder is another debate entirely. at least with the coursework there's lots of time to get it spot on, and half of our year used google to find out most of their information

A final exam that is hard is one thing but they are being tested on 2 years work completely. We get tested constantly through cursework and modules and final exams.
    synoptic papers account for less than 25% of a GCSE. exam assessment directly after having completed a module is easier on the short-term memory.

I dont think one can be said to be harder than the other. One student may find another harder, some people perform better in exams, other better in coursework. It depends on the person.
    never-the-less, today's exams aren't doing their job (distinguishing between candidates). no-one has 'proved' that they are easier or harder but remedial classes at uni to cover material not covered in current syllabi is a sure indicator that something is wrong with our education system.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.