The Student Room Group

How to cope with no friends or girlfriend?

I'm shy so haven't got any friends or girlfriend. I'd consider myself kind but I've little social confidence. Please can you offer some advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Harold Steptoe
I'm shy so haven't got any friends or girlfriend. I'd consider myself kind but I've little social confidence. Please can you offer some advice.

Find the problem, find the facts and fix it.
Original post by ckfeister
Find the problem, find the facts and fix it.

How?
Concentrate on your education and career.
Original post by GreenBell
Concentrate on your education and career.

I do that already. I take my education and career life very seriously.

I feel that I need a social life to complete both aspects of my life.
Reply 6
Lift some weights and work in building that confidence and social media
I do that already. I take my education and career life very seriously.

I feel that I need a social life to complete both aspects of my life.

What are you studying?

You could always go to social meetups. There's a website I sometimes use when I am travelling called meetup.com. Check it out and find meetups in your area. It's fun and you get to meet people with the same interests as you.
Reply 8
You've got to work on your shyness then. Go to events, join clubs you're interested in. Force yourself to be social and slowly you'll make friends there and will stop feeling like you have to force yourself to do it and will be happy to.

I was seriously shy growing up. Often wouldn't talk to people unless they directly asked a question. Now I run lectures and workshops as a part time job for my uni. You just have to put yourself out there and over time, you get used to it and it doesn't seem such a big thing anymore.
Are u at Uni? Join a couple of groups of things you are either interested in, or could be interested in, then talk to others in the group. Make sure you listen so you can ask questions rather than convo die out. And ask others about themselves, ppl often like to chat about themselves. Join group where you are actually doing something (volunteering) as you can get to know others whilst helping / working towards a goal.
Meetup.com is good - and the advice about making yourself go to it is good to. I am going through divorce after many years and I am not a natural people person. Having made myself join a group I now have three new friends I see regularly.

Do give it a go... it does work... and often there are people there who will feel as you do.

Good luck!!
You masturbate as if your penis has died and requires resuscitation.
Original post by storm95
Lift some weights and work in building that confidence and social media

What could I do to help build confidence and Social Confidence?

Original post by GreenBell
What are you studying?

You could always go to social meetups. There's a website I sometimes use when I am travelling called meetup.com. Check it out and find meetups in your area. It's fun and you get to meet people with the same interests as you.

Going into Sixth Form in September.

Original post by Devify
You've got to work on your shyness then. Go to events, join clubs you're interested in. Force yourself to be social and slowly you'll make friends there and will stop feeling like you have to force yourself to do it and will be happy to.

I was seriously shy growing up. Often wouldn't talk to people unless they directly asked a question. Now I run lectures and workshops as a part time job for my uni. You just have to put yourself out there and over time, you get used to it and it doesn't seem such a big thing anymore.

If I am fortunate enough to find a girl before I make new friends, do you think it would put her off the fact being that I have no friends?

Original post by Milliejerry
Are u at Uni? Join a couple of groups of things you are either interested in, or could be interested in, then talk to others in the group. Make sure you listen so you can ask questions rather than convo die out. And ask others about themselves, ppl often like to chat about themselves. Join group where you are actually doing something (volunteering) as you can get to know others whilst helping / working towards a goal.

Thanks!
Original post by Luna Loveboob
You masturbate as if your penis has died and requires resuscitation.

wow lmao.

But seriously, try gradually expanding your comfort zone, gradually stepping up social interactions, ect. You'll see a huge improvement - this tactic worked for me, and I was basically hopeless.
Original post by unknown_usr
wow lmao.

But seriously, try gradually expanding your comfort zone, gradually stepping up social interactions, ect. You'll see a huge improvement - this tactic worked for me, and I was basically hopeless.

Nobody is hopeless when I'm around :wink:
Reply 15

If I am fortunate enough to find a girl before I make new friends, do you think it would put her off the fact being that I have no friends?

I think it would depend more on how you act because of it.

If you were being all clingy because of it, then yeah, possibly.

If it was just that you wouldn't really be going out with anyone else but her, then probably not.
Islam welcomes you with open arms...
Original post by Luna Loveboob
Nobody is hopeless when I'm around :wink:

again, wow lmao.
Original post by unknown_usr
again, wow lmao.

Did you know that I'm a Muslim? :wink:

Going into Sixth Form in September.

You'll def find friends in Sixth Form and University then. People there are not as childish as school and it's easier to form friends. Just make sure to speak to people often on the first day.

Quick Reply

Latest