Turn on thread page Beta

V1239 - Educational Indoctrination Bill 2017 watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    40.82%
    On the contrary, No
    55.10%
    Abstain
    4.08%

ReputationRep:
    V1239 - Educational Indoctrination Bill 2017, TSR Conservative & Unionist Party

A

BILL

TO

prevent the ‘extremist’ indoctrination of pupils in educational institutions.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1 - Definitions
    (1) Where referenced in this Act, the following words are to be defined as follows:-
    (a) as defined by the Education Act 1996:
    (i) ‘School’ shall refer to any educational institution which is simultaneously outside of the further education and higher education sector, yet remains a institution with provisions to provide any combination of primary, and/or secondary education.
    (ii) ‘Pupil’ shall refer to any person and/or entity to whom provisions for education are made;
    (b) for the sole purpose of this Act:-
    (i) ‘Educational institution’ shall refer to an institution or establishment at which active provisions are made for education, regardless of the age of those to whom said education provisions have been made.
    (ii) ‘Educational staff’ shall refer to those employed, through any mechanism, by schools or educational institutions; this includes but is not limited to: teachers; volunteers; entities/persons on the governing body; representatives of the local education authority; inspectors; management staff; receptionists; first aids; and, those in ‘temporary employment’, id est, those requested, or by their own accord desire, to attend school for the purpose of education, whether or not as an external speaker, teacher or observer.
    (iii) ‘Indoctrination’ shall, at bare minimum, refer to the imbuement and inculcation of principles, opinions, points of view, ideals, attitudes, cognitive strategies or professional methodologies that have tangible links to proscribed organisations.

2 - Existing legislation
    (1) Sections 406 and 407 of the Education Act of 1996 shall remain unaffected.
    (2) Where there are contradictions between the Education Act of 1996 and the Educational Indoctrination Act of 2017, the latter is to take precedence.

3 - Indoctrination
    (1) The local education authority, governing body, head teacher and all members of staff in their individual capacity, are duly obliged to:-
    (a) forbid the pursuit of partisan principles, opinions, points of view, ideals, attitudes, cognitive strategies or professional methodologies by educational staff that have tangible links to proscribed organisation;
    (b) forbid the promotion of partisan principles, opinions, points of view, ideals, attitudes, cognitive strategies or professional methodologies in the teaching of any subject in the school that have tangible links to proscribed organisation;

4 - Proscribed groups or organisations
    (1) Proscribed groups or organisations shall refer to any individual, group, organisation or entity proscribed by Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the Home Department under section 3 of the Terrorism Act of 2000.
    (2) Any organisation proscribed by Her Majesty’s Principal Secretary of State for the Home Department is said to have:-
    (a) committed or participated in acts of terrorism;
    (b) prepared for terrorism;
    (c) promoted, encouraged or unlawfully glorified terrorism;
    (d) otherwise concerned themselves with terrorism.

5 - Action
    (1) On notification of an act of indoctrination with tangible links to proscribed groups or organisations, the local educational authority, the governing body and the headteacher are duly obliged to:-
    (a) hold the member of educational staff, using reasonable force, on the educational institution’s premises, where the safety of pupils and fellow members of education staff are not at risk, until the member of education staff is under the control/possession of the Police.
    (b) immediately surrender all files, information and known assets of the member of education staff to the relevant authority
    (c) within twenty-four hours, notify the Secretary of State for Education, the Department for Education, Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the Home Department, and the Home Office.
    (d) within seventy-two hours, convene an emergency meeting of the governing body with compulsory attendance, under the sole premise of total confidentiality, with at least one representative from each of the following:-
    (i) the local educational authority,
    (ii) the Department of Education,
    (iii) CONTEST,
    (iv) the Home Office.
    (e) if and when appropriate, notify all parents of pupils currently in attendance at the educational institution, as well as all those who may have come into contact with the affected member of educational staff unless the parties detailed in subsection (c) or subsection (d) raise concerns in doing so.

6 - Records
    (1) The local education authority, governing body and the school must keep dedicated records of recorded instances of ‘indoctrination’.
    (2) Records of ‘indoctrination’ must include, at the bare minimum:-
    (a) the name of the member of educational staff;
    (b) the date and approximate time of the instance of indoctrination;
    (c) the pupil(s) affected by indoctrination;
    (d) the type of indoctrination;
    (e) the exact actions and/or words;
    (f) at least two ‘independent’ witnesses - this may be replaced with closed circuit television footage obtained by the educational institution or unaltered multimedia sources exterior to the educational institution where the legitimacy of said source can be verified to a probability that exceeds 80%.
    (3) These records must be available on demand, in full, to the Secretary of State, and provided to the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills at regular intervals.
    (4) These records may also be provided through the application of external legislation:
    (a) Where a request for the aforementioned records has been made to the educational institution under the entitlements as detailed under section 7 of Data Protection Act 1998, the educational institution must, in accordance with section 2 of the Data Protection Act 1998, provide the full entry with the following redacted:-
    (i) personal details, other than his/her name, relating to the member of educational staff;
    (ii) explicit details relating to the member of educational staff’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, membership of trade unions, physical or mental health or condition, sexual life, the commission or alleged commission by him of any offence, or any proceedings for any offence committed or alleged to have been committed by him, the disposal of such proceedings or the sentence of any court in such proceedings;
    (iii) identifying information in regards to the ‘independent’ witnesses;
    (b) Where a request for the aforementioned records has been made to the educational institution under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, the educational institution must, in accordance with section 2 of the Data Protection Act 1998, provide the full entry requested with the following redacted:-
    (i) personal details, other than his/her name, relating to the member of educational staff;
    (ii) explicit details relating to the member of educational staff’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, membership of trade unions, physical or mental health or condition, sexual life, the commission or alleged commission by him of any offence, or any proceedings for any offence committed or alleged to have been committed by him, the disposal of such proceedings or the sentence of any court in such proceedings;
    (iii) personal details or identifying information relating to the pupil(s) involved;
    (iv) identifying information in regards to the ‘independent’ witnesses;
    (c) With application to subsection (4)(b) and in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Data Protection (Appropriate Limit and Fees) Regulations of 2004 and section 14 of the Freedom of Information Act of 2000, an educational institution may refuse compliance with a request on the basis that:-
    (i) the request, in terms of resources, is projected to exceed the ‘appropriate limit’ of £600;
    (ii) the request is deemed as ‘vexatious’;
    (iii) the request is one to which the educational institution on a prior occasion complied with under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 within a reasonable time interval;

7 - Short title and extent
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Educational Indoctrination Act 2017.
    (2) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    (3) This Act is to come into effect on the 1st of September 2017.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    Aye, a fantastic bill.

ReputationRep:
    Rakas21 please change my vote from abstain to aye, please.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    NO NO NO

This bill undermines the good work of teachers and tries to control them even more than ever.
    I encourage anyone to please vote against this horrendous piece of legislation.

ReputationRep:
    The complete failure of the Conservative party to respond to legitimate concerns raised in debate and address the gigantic flaws in this Bill means that no reasonable MP, and certainly no Government MP, should vote in favour or even abstain. This will limit the freedom of teachers to adopt reasonable pedagogic strategies to an unreasonable extent and destroy the educational development of the country.

zayn008 LifeIsFine

ReputationRep:
    Nay because of the flaws others have higlighted.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    The complete failure of the Conservative party to respond to legitimate concerns raised in debate and address the gigantic flaws in this Bill means that no reasonable MP, and certainly no Government MP, should vote in favour or even abstain. This will limit the freedom of teachers to adopt reasonable pedagogic strategies to an unreasonable extent and destroy the educational development of the country.

zayn008 LifeIsFine
    Entirely fair, and indeed some of my qualms were not answered.
    Rakas21 cranbrook_aspie
    Please change my vote to a nay.

ReputationRep:
    Rakas21 cranbrook_aspie please change my vote to Nay

ReputationRep:
    nay. many proscribed groups shouldn’t be. namely:
    N17
    ANO
    ETA
    PKK
    PFLP-GC
    DHKP-C
    TAK (at a stretch)
    CAC
    Cumann na mBan
    INLA
    IPLO
    Saor Eire
    Fianna na hEireann
    Other Republican Groups

When these “proscribed groups” kill, it’s terrorism. When the State does it, it’s Empire, or it’s counter-terrorism. AKA ********. Most of these groups wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for Imperialism
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill is hideously overblown. Nay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay, this goes against individual freedom, threatens teachers and seriously limits their ability to teach. Moreover, independent character like independent thought cannot develop without criticism, and preventing the understanding of why the 'terrorist' acts condemns the future generations intellectually and politically.

ReputationRep:
    I love how none of these "partisan policies" have even been referenced.

ReputationRep:
    To respond to the overdone, exaggerated opposition to this bill... It does not limit freedom, it does not limit the ability to teach nor does it destroy the educational development of this country. Those who teach our children with partisan principles, opinions, points of view, ideals, attitudes, cognitive strategies or professional methodologies in the teaching of any subject in the school that have tangible links to proscribed organisation - will be the only ones to worry. Because such indoctrination cannot be tolerated in our society, voting against this bill does not ensure this protection and children will be at risk of being indoctrinated with disgustingly wrong views of those from proscribed organisations with links to terrorism.

And it does make me wonder to see that because we didn't satisfy every individual issue with this bill, it must be a significant reason to vote against it, this has happened on many occasions including my qualm with a government bill but it was ignored (and I still aye'd it)... Other than that odd reason, can you please explain why you changed your vote? zayn008 and LifeIsFine.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    To respond to the overdone, exaggerated opposition to this bill... It does not limit freedom, it does not limit the ability to teach nor does it destroy the educational development of this country. Those who teach our children with partisan principles, opinions, points of view, ideals, attitudes, cognitive strategies or professional methodologies in the teaching of any subject in the school that have tangible links to proscribed organisation - will be the only ones to worry. Because such indoctrination cannot be tolerated in our society, voting against this bill does not ensure this protection and children will be at risk of being indoctrinated with disgustingly wrong views of those from proscribed organisations with links to terrorism.

And it does make me wonder to see that because we didn't satisfy every individual issue with this bill, it must be a significant reason to vote against it, this has happened on many occasions including my qualm with a government bill but it was ignored (and I still aye'd it)... Other than that odd reason, can you please explain why you changed your vote? zayn008 and LifeIsFine.
    In all fairness your voting for government bills is much appreciated, but also not relevant to my own voting against this bill.
    I abstained originally mainly due to the fact that I had been away for a week, and therefore had a hazy memory of the discussion process before this bill was sent to division. I believe it is the phrase "tangible links" that I am most opposed to in this bill, namely because crucial aspects of history such as the troubles and Irish relations with Britain in general, or the Basque separatist movement, or the Kurds conflict with Turkey cannot be taught properly if this bill passes. I believe frankielogue raises a valuable point in questioning whether all proscribed groups should be proscribed in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    One Aye has been added for Seat 42 due to the occupant having technical problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    One Abstain has been changed to an Aye for Seat 39.

(Original post by LifeIsFine)
    Entirely fair, and indeed some of my qualms were not answered.
    Rakas21 cranbrook_aspie
    Please change my vote to a nay.
    One Abstain has been changed to a No for Seat 35.

(Original post by Zxyn)
    Rakas21 cranbrook_aspie please change my vote to Nay
    One Aye has been changed to a No for Seat 18.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsFine)
    In all fairness your voting for government bills is much appreciated, but also not relevant to my own voting against this bill.
    I abstained originally mainly due to the fact that I had been away for a week, and therefore had a hazy memory of the discussion process before this bill was sent to division. I believe it is the phrase "tangible links" that I am most opposed to in this bill, namely because crucial aspects of history such as the troubles and Irish relations with Britain in general, or the Basque separatist movement, or the Kurds conflict with Turkey cannot be taught properly if this bill passes. I believe frankielogue raises a valuable point in questioning whether all proscribed groups should be proscribed in the first place.
    It becomes relevant once you mention that one of the reasons for you voting against this is because your qualms weren't answered.

"Taught properly" sounds quite subjective and opinion would differ from one person to another as to whether a subject is being "taught properly" but fair enough I guess...

That point would may be more useful in another debate, at this moment the bill does not address that so it can be argued that the point, as valuable as it may be, is not relevant.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    It becomes relevant once you mention that one of the reasons for you voting against this is because your qualms weren't answered.

"Taught properly" sounds quite subjective and opinion would differ from one person to another as to whether a subject is being "taught properly" but fair enough I guess...

That point would maybe be more useful in another debate, at this moment the bill does not address that so it can be argued that the point, as valuable as it may be, is not relevant.
    No I do not think it does, it almost sounds like a threat to not vote for government bills if your qualms go unanswered, our standards do not have to be the same.
    When I say "taught properly" I mean it being taught from both view points- e.g the current History GCSE has teachers tell students of Hitler's appeal and the tale of 1930's Germany from both a positive aspect and a negative Western outlook, as History has never been black and white.

I would disagree that the point is not relevant- after all it is the basis of what I have just said, some of those proscribed groups have tangible links with viewpoints on 20th century History that would be banned from being taught.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    To make this clear, Julen (Seat 36 has voted 'Aye' on this bill by post.

(Original post by TitanCream)
    Also, allow me to highlight this.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2017
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.