Turn on thread page Beta

V1245 - Environmental Law (after EU exit) Bill 2017 watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    18.75%
    On the contrary, No
    47.92%
    Abstain
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    V1245 - Environmental Law (after EU exit) Bill 2017, TSR Green Party
    A BILL TO

Transfer Environmental Law only to the UK Parliament once the UK exits the European Union

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

Preamble

This Bill assumes that the United Kingdom leaves the European Union, and would not apply were that not to be the case.

1. Definitions

a. 'Environment Powers' shall mean those exercised by the European Union over air quality, carbon dioxide levels, pollution, vehicle emissions, any emissions from manufacture, energy or transport, water quality, habitats, and any other responsibility currently of the Directorate-General for the Environment within the European Union.

b. 'European Union' shall refer to the body which the United Kingdom voted to leave in a referendum held on 23 June 2016.

2. Transfer of European Union powers on the Environment

a. Upon the United Kingdom's exit from European Union, Environment Powers and responsibilities shall be transferred to the United Kingdom Parliament. None shall be further devolved to the Devolved Administrations unless a separate and specific Act of Parliament is passed.

3. Title and Commencement

a. This Bill shall be known as the Environmental Law (after EU exit) Bill 2017
    b. This Bill shall take effect on the day the United Kingdom leaves the European Union.
    c. This Bill shall apply to the whole of the United Kingdom

Notes

Environmental pollution and climate change does not stop at borders and boundaries. The polices that the European Union have introduced have had benefits across the United Kingdom, and if devolved, there is a danger that political or business pressure to relax some could lead to a worse situation. This Bill recognises that this will be less likely should the powers remain within the UK Parliament.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In two years time I could understand why this bill was introduced. Now is totally the wrong time in relation to Brexit and it therefore achieves very little.

No.

ReputationRep:
    Abstain. I support this in principle but it largely replicates the RL Withdrawal Bill.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Brexit offers a useful opportunity to further strengthen our existing environmental laws and animal welfare.

ReputationRep:
    Rakas21 cranbrook_aspie

Please change my vote on this bill to a "nay" instead of "abstain".

ReputationRep:
    @Rakas21 @cranbrook_aspie

please change my vote from an “aye” to “abstain”. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I vote against things which should happen because of Canon and if Canon was going to be ignored there was a bill to make all EU law British law after Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    One abstention has been added for Seat 42 due to its occupant having technical problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    @Rakas21 @cranbrook_aspie

please change my vote from an “aye” to “abstain”. thanks.
    One Aye has been changed to an Abstain for Seat 16.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin)
    Rakas21 cranbrook_aspie

Please change my vote on this bill to a "nay" instead of "abstain".
    One Abstain has been changed to a Nay for Seat 25.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Julen (Seat 42) has voted 'Abstain' on this bill by post.

ReputationRep:
    Two postal votes were submitted.

Aye for seat 22.
    Nay for seat 4.

ReputationRep:
    1. Order!
      The Ayes to the right, 9.
      The Noes to the left, 23.
      Abstentions, 16.

I think the Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2017
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.