The Student Room Group

Best routine for me to do at uni?

So I've come to the realisation I want to eat healthier and gain a bit of weight as well and get more muscular/fitter.

I'm 19 and 6ft 2 and I'm 70kg.What workout do you recommend I start in October (don't wanna buy membership as I'm at home from uni).Trying to get both healthy and muscular by June 2019 onwards

I mostly eat

Weetabix with honey or bananas for breakfast

Fried Plantain/chicken and chips/pasta/noodles for lunch

Jollof rice/rice with corn beef stew/yam and stew/fufu(starchy food made of cassava) and soup

I'm not really a veg person but willing to change that if there's a way to add taste.What would you change/add to my diet - I'm a sweet tooth/like spicy food. Here are some pics to give you a better idea of where I am now.
Reply 1
anyone?
Original post by scrawlx101
anyone?

Woody posted his beginners bulking routine plus you should read the stickies at the top of the fitness forum.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4853194
Definitely add more calories and protein - push for around 3000 calories and 200g protein. Stuff like chicken, eggs, milk and tuna are cheap protein sources and nuts and milk are really good for adding calories
You're completely clueless on a relatively easy concept but it seems like you're willing to learn. This is where you need a friend who know his stuff
Reading your OP made me hungry...😕
Reply 6
Read the FAQ on gaining weight, a list of foods tells us nothing.

Eat more fruit- always have the banana and any other fruit you like. Does adding taste to veg mean you keep just eating it on it's own? If you don't like the tastes you need to put it in the dishes you are already eating. Your dinners are fine- it's not hard to put plenty veg in a stew and you can do things like grate carrot and courgette plus some frozen spinach into jollof rice and you won't even notice it. But your lunches probably need to change, at least to not be fried and chips as only occasional but more veg too would be doing yourself a favour. Once you start lifting eat more healthy fats, it's good for you and easy calories.
Reply 7
What are some lunch alternative and what are healthy fats?
Reply 8
Original post by scrawlx101
What are some lunch alternative and what are healthy fats?

What do you like eating? Some lunch alternatives is like asking for some colours other than blue. If I said wraps even that would have dozens of different options. You could cook the chicken or plantain a different way, add some veg and sauce and have it with noodles or pasta.

Google is your friend. Half of what you need to do to make progress is to put the effort in to learn a bit about training and nutrition as well as some new recipes. Search 'healthy lunch recipes' and 'healthy fats'
I 100% agree with the Fitness FAQ here, Starting Strength or StrongLifts is the way to go if you're looking for a strength building routine - no more than 5 exercises to learn, doing 3 of them each workout, with you getting stronger every workout!! Max you'll be spending is 1-2hrs in the gym, unless you want to rest longer between sets which is up to you. If you're not, it's still great as you can pack on a lot of muscle and once you get to an intermediate/advanced stage, you can switch over to a bodybuilding routine. I doubted the Starting Strength Program at first as it wasn't working, but when I came to the realization that I wasn't getting enough food I've been getting stronger each workout :smile:. The program for me demanded a lot of food though, but that could just be specific for my metabolism :smile:.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest