The Student Room Group

Driving practical test - passing first time!!

So today I managed to pass first time in my practical test!!!! I'm so pleased:smile: just wanted to ask if any of you needed any tips or would like me to share my experience? ☺️
Reply 1
How many hours of lessons did you do?
Did you get any minors and what were they?
What did you think of the examiner?

Thanks and well done for passing! :smile:
Original post by Petulia
How many hours of lessons did you do?
Did you get any minors and what were they?
What did you think of the examiner?

Thanks and well done for passing! :smile:

I did 1 hour a week on and off for about a year and a bit, so I'd say about 50 which sounds a lot haha! (But I didn't have my own car to practice in)

I got 5 minors, 1 was for shunting forwards on my parallel park, 3 were for clearance and the other 1 was for a late response to a traffic light.

And my examiner was really nice! She was super friendly and made me feel at ease☺️ I always thought that examiners didn't smile and were horriblen
Original post by confusedbutton
So today I managed to pass first time in my practical test!!!! I'm so pleased:smile: just wanted to ask if any of you needed any tips or would like me to share my experience? ☺️

Congratulations!! :party: :party2:

Such a good feeling isn't it! :lol: Have you sorted insurance yet?

This thread should really be in the "Learning to drive" subforum, found in the "Cars and motoring" forum - I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :h:
Just want to ask you about the minors you got.

The 3 for clearance - I assume this is for parking, how much were you off by?

The minor for late reaction to the traffic lights - how late were you?
I did the same and then went and had an accident three months later... We'll done to you, go and celebrate! However "learning to drive" actually starts after you've passed your test and have to make judgements on your own. I wish you more luck than I had!
Was having shorter lessons for a longer period of time helpful? Most people say 2 hour lessons are ideal, so curious

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats!
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Congratulations!! :party: :party2:

Such a good feeling isn't it! :lol: Have you sorted insurance yet?

This thread should really be in the "Learning to drive" subforum, found in the "Cars and motoring" forum - I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :h:

thank you so much!! it is such a great feeling!! :biggrin: nooo I haven't, I have had a look but I am getting quotes of around £1200 - £2500 so I don't think I'll be getting a car anytime soon haha! and thank you for helping me move the thread!!
Original post by sleepless steve
Just want to ask you about the minors you got.

The 3 for clearance - I assume this is for parking, how much were you off by?

The minor for late reaction to the traffic lights - how late were you?

the 3 for clearance was for driving too close alongside parked cars! and for the traffic lights, I was asked to turn left and I was a few seconds late reacting to a green filter light!
Original post by carrotstar
I did the same and then went and had an accident three months later... We'll done to you, go and celebrate! However "learning to drive" actually starts after you've passed your test and have to make judgements on your own. I wish you more luck than I had!

oh no, what happened?? thank you very much!! and yes I agree completely!! :smile:
Original post by fxlloutboyy
Was having shorter lessons for a longer period of time helpful? Most people say 2 hour lessons are ideal, so curious

Posted from TSR Mobile

For me, it was the only option I had as I had quite a busy schedule and so did my instructor. I did have a few 2 hour lessons which were quite useful but in the end the shorter lessons over the year and a half meant that I could practise driving in all sorts of conditions throughout the seasons! :smile: but my friends have had longer lessons and found it worked better for them but I guess it depends on the person!
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Congrats!

thank you so much!! :biggrin:
oh no, what happened?? thank you very much!! and yes I agree completely!! :smile:

I failed to give way on a double mini roundabout, but in defence it was bad visibility from the angle I was at. However I had to cross the same junction for another 9 months because I was on a 12 month work placement as part of my university course! I think it made me a much better driver though. However the learning really wasn't worth writing off a car for!
just a quick update... my driving license arrived today in the post!!!! 😃

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending