The Student Room Group

Is this a good way of picking universities?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aMS0DMwdDIjOJC6ZRl64X8ghAzA-6H45mexZ5se3pBQ/edit?usp=sharing

Unfortunately due to expenses and the fact lots of open days, clash, I can't go visit the universities so I devised a system

Is my point system fair? Should I be putting more weight on certain things?

My calculations may be wrong. I am not too sure on the weighted one.

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks
The cost of living really isnt that high, i think youve over estimated them by ALOT
Reply 2
Original post by sarah1001
The cost of living really isnt that high, i think youve over estimated them by ALOT

I based the data of this: http://www.gocompare.com/savings/degree-of-value#table Admitedly, some of it does sound a bit off - e.g. Clothes at Oxford being £2184 but yeah :/
Boot the Guardian rank - it's a load of old tosh.
Reply 4
The top 8 remains the same and its only a marginal difference.

e.g

St AndrewsOxfordBathUCLExeterBirminghamYorkSurreySussexBristolSouthamptonSheffieldCardiffReadingLiverpoolSt AndrewsOxfordBathUCLExeterBirminghamYorkSussexBristolSouthamptonSheffieldSurreyCardiffReadingLiverpool
becomes
St AndrewsOxfordBathUCLExeterBirminghamYorkSussexBristolSouthamptonSheffieldSurreyCardiffReadingLiverpool
Reply 5
I think you should pay some attention to the actual course content.
Compare the Year 1 modules - most will probably be the same. Year 2 and 3 modules will differ by each university.
I don't study Psychology myself so I don't know whether there's different branches to it, but I can use my own course as an example. I did Biology for a year at a university where most of the content was chemistry and biomedical sciences, I transferred to a different university for 2nd year where most of the content is ecology and zoology.
Each university will have different modules and that's something you should take a look at, even if you don't understand much now, most universities will have a programme outline with a brief description of each module. Also, some universities may not offer any optional modules (all will be compulsory) whereas others will give you a choice each year to choose 3 or 4 modules on your own. It's not something that most students look into when applying for university but my first choice definitely would have been different if I had looked at the differences between modules.
Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by DJShaji
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aMS0DMwdDIjOJC6ZRl64X8ghAzA-6H45mexZ5se3pBQ/edit?usp=sharing

Unfortunately due to expenses and the fact lots of open days, clash, I can't go visit the universities so I devised a system

Is my point system fair? Should I be putting more weight on certain things?

My calculations may be wrong. I am not too sure on the weighted one.

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks

The points system really isn't fair. It way overweights rankings since you have multiple columns and its scale is much wider, and having high entry requirements really shouldn't lower its ranking.
most unis will have youtube videos which will give you an idea of the campus. There is a website somewhere which makes these videos. My point however is that a university like St andrews will not be for someone who likes living in a big city (as its quite small and isolated), and you may have preferences regarding campus vs. noncampus unis.
As well as TES, you should include a number for amount spent per student. Oxbridge has lots of private funding- which translates into generally higher quality teaching, and in addition there is a premium on having an oxbridge degree for future careers.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'd decide whether you want a placement year or if you're not bothered... I don't think it's worth trading off a significant element of the course against, say, a few hundred pounds a year in notional living expenses if it's something that you want to do.

Entry requirement is one of the major elements of the published rankings, including it again could have strange effects.

as others have said those living expenses numbers look a bit funny anyway
I went to UCL and my rent was £6500 a year. I think your living costs as others have said are quite far off for students.

Also you mention masters degree. It can be nice after three years to go somewhere else rather than stay at the same institution, just something to think about.

Quick Reply

Latest