Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are there a balanced number of men and women in computing courses now? Or are ther still more men than women?

ReputationRep:
    More males

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thought there would be a slow increase of women doing computing type courses.

Are there any women in your computing course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    Ok, thought there would be a slow increase of women doing computing type courses.

Are there any women in your computing course?
    Im doing a surveying course and there are virtually no females there. I think one other girl applied to do the course.

ReputationRep:
    My friend does Computer Science and there's about a total of 5 girls in her year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Computer Science at Uni and I'm female ....typically 10-15% of the total number of students studying Computer Science at degree level are female....not a very balanced figure but it's on the increase apparently.

ReputationRep:
    Good to hear that. I hope there would be mixed genders studying computing type courses, as it will be weird to have all men in the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    I'm doing Computer Science at Uni and I'm female ....typically 10-15% of the total number of students studying Computer Science at degree level are female....not a very balanced figure but it's on the increase apparently.
    At least us girls will be in demand I was told by at an open day women are ment to be more "thorough and more likely to go over fine detail then men"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    Good to hear that. I hope there would be mixed genders studying computing type courses, as it will be weird to have all men in the course.
    lol u just wanna pull dont u?

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, at college I did a BTEC in Computing and I was THE ONLY girl! I didn't mind it really, and the lecturers were nicer to me than to the guys

ReputationRep:
    On my course there is 90 people, only four are females.

ReputationRep:
    I'm under the impression that Electrical Engineering suffers from the same female deficit as Computer based courses

This is all changing though...(no comment on the pulling remark...)

ReputationRep:
    For my degree (cybernetics (control engineering)) there was about 80 guys to 4 girls .

I obv didnt see my course as an avenue for romance rofl.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm doing Computer Systems Engineering and there are 3 girls out of (I think) about 65 people on the course. I get lectures with Engineers and Computer Scientists and I think there are generally a higher percentage of girls in the Engineering lectures than in the Comp Sci ones. I think the number of girls doing Comp Sci is gradually increasing but it's still very imbalanced.
    Jenn xx

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.