The Student Room Group

Is this relationship really over?

We've been together 7 and a half years, we've been through some pretty rough arguments and one or two bad breaks ups.

I love the guy an astonishing amount, ive been with him since I was 16, I've grown with him and experienced so many different things with him.

But we're at a point now where we fall out a lot, when we fall out we say it's over, we sort it and get back together and a couple of days later fall out again. We have a lot of stresses in life at the moment and have for a while which definitely puts tension on the relationship. There is insecurities on one part. In arguments really nasty things get said and past mistakes get brought into them a lot.

When we express how we feel we both feel the exact same, like we're to blame for everything, like we're not appreciated, like we're reminded of things in the past.

We have tried to get past it and we are so happy for a few days then it just comes back to it! The main thing in my opinion that makes us fall out a lot is that we spend too much time together and not enough on ourselves but this is also a very complicated story of a lot of things getting in the way of this.

We decided earlier it might be best we stay amicable but I really am missing him already?
Is this really over?

To make it more awkward I'm living with him and will be moving out if we confirm this.
Reply 1
Can anyone help at all on this before I try and get some sleep? :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

Have you both ever thought about going for couple counselling? It may help to talk to an impartial individual.
Reply 3
Original post by misfitevan
Have you both ever thought about going for couple counselling? It may help to talk to an impartial individual.

No not really, it's not something we wanna do or ever really wanna do :/

I can relate to this story in so many ways. Just reading it actually gave me a bit of déjà vu. The long and short of it is: yes, the relationship really is over. You may get back together again and give things another stab, but the essence of your relationship is sordid at this point. So sordid, in fact, that you won't ever be sustainably together again. The sad thing about being in these very long relationships at such a young age is that you both grow apart in quite a big way without realising it. From experience alone, you actually realise, the longer you are together, how much you don't know yourself and how necessary it is for you to take time out and figure out who you are. The things that once brought you together now tear you apart and you are both pulling in opposite directions. It doesn't help that hurt compounds itself over time, so the longer you stay in a rocky relationship, the worse it gets. By the time you realise it's best to just end things and leave it, you are both too hurt to let things go amicably. It is best, therefore, to end it now before it gets too late.
No not really, it's not something we wanna do or ever really wanna do :/

It would help you both get over the issues that you feel are causing problems. The time apart may also help.
Reply 6
Original post by LostYouth
I can relate to this story in so many ways. Just reading it actually gave me a bit of déjà vu. The long and short of it is: yes, the relationship really is over. You may get back together again and give things another stab, but the essence of your relationship is sordid at this point. So sordid, in fact, that you won't ever be sustainably together again. The sad thing about being in these very long relationships at such a young age is that you both grow apart in quite a big way without realising it. From experience alone, you actually realise, the longer you are together, how much you don't know yourself and how necessary it is for you to take time out and figure out who you are. The things that once brought you together now tear you apart and you are both pulling in opposite directions. It doesn't help that hurt compounds itself over time, so the longer you stay in a rocky relationship, the worse it gets. By the time you realise it's best to just end things and leave it, you are both too hurt to let things go amicably. It is best, therefore, to end it now before it gets too late.

Thank you for your reply, funnily enough we have said end it now before it's too late but I guess it's just hard. I guess I contradict myself sometimes, sometimes I will think about all the bad and think we need to be over but then I think of all the good and I think how much I love him and I don't want to or spend my life with him as my partner!

He loves me a lot to and neither of us want it to be over or want any of this, but I don't know what else we can do. He says a lot of the time I initiate the arguments and I always feel like we could try again with me not trying to argue or get stressed if you know what I mean.
Reply 7
Thank you for your reply, funnily enough we have said end it now before it's too late but I guess it's just hard. I guess I contradict myself sometimes, sometimes I will think about all the bad and think we need to be over but then I think of all the good and I think how much I love him and I don't want to spend any my life without him as my partner!

He loves me a lot to and neither of us want it to be over or want any of this, but I don't know what else we can do. He says a lot of the time I initiate the arguments and I always feel like we could try again with me not trying to argue or get stressed if you know what I mean.

Typo
Thank you for your reply, funnily enough we have said end it now before it's too late but I guess it's just hard. I guess I contradict myself sometimes, sometimes I will think about all the bad and think we need to be over but then I think of all the good and I think how much I love him and I don't want to or spend my life with him as my partner!

In the end there's a long of finger pointing. A lot of naming, blaming and shaming. But it's not worth it at all. It just prolongs the pain and intensifies the feelings of resentment after. You don't want that really. After being with someone for 7 years, it's safe to say you must have been friends at the core, and you don't want to let that go just because the romantic relationship didn't work out. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

End things. Cut each other out for a while. No communication whatsoever. Block each other on social media. Focus, instead, on yourselves and your personal growth. Invest in yourselves: read more, travel more, exercise more, eat well, rest well, take up a new hobby, meet new people to be friends with, spend more time with friends and family, start a business, etc.—do all the things you ever wanted to do but couldn't, or thought you couldn't. Whatever you do, though, don't get into a rebound relationship or sleep around to console yourself. It'll backfire massively. If possible, avoid relationships and flings altogether for some time. You need time to grieve and heal first.
Reply 9
In the end there's a long of finger pointing. A lot of naming, blaming and shaming. But it's not worth it at all. It just prolongs the pain and intensifies the feelings of resentment after. You don't want that really. After being with someone for 7 years, it's safe to say you must have been friends at the core, and you don't want to let that go just because the romantic relationship didn't work out. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

End things. Cut each other out for a while. No communication whatsoever. Block each other on social media. Focus, instead, on yourselves and your personal growth. Invest in yourselves: read more, travel more, exercise more, eat well, rest well, take up a new hobby, meet new people to be friends with, spend more time with friends and family, start a business, etc.—do all the things you ever wanted to do but couldn't, or thought you couldn't. Whatever you do, though, don't get into a rebound relationship or sleep around to console yourself. It'll backfire massively. If possible, avoid relationships and flings altogether for some time. You need time to grieve and heal first.

Yeah there is a lot of naming shaming and blaming to be fair ... we wasn't really friends at the start, I knew him two months before getting together :smile: last year we had a bad break up for six months where please don't judge I slept with a guy multiple times and that's something that has been difficult for him to put behind us.... he and we have both said we would end it civilly as we get on so well and we would try and stay friends, he wouldnt be up for blocking each other on social media I know that much, he is quite sensitive about that and wouldn't see any reason to block me or me block him. I definitely think we need time for ourselves I guess it's just hard letting it go when everything's so calm? It's much easier when there seems to be a bigger and better reason :/

How do you mean by it'll backfire massively?
Yeah there is a lot of naming shaming and blaming to be fair ... we wasn't really friends at the start, I knew him two months before getting together :smile: last year we had a bad break up for six months where please don't judge I slept with a guy multiple times and that's something that has been difficult for him to put behind us.... he and we have both said we would end it civilly as we get on so well and we would try and stay friends, he wouldnt be up for blocking each other on social media I know that much, he is quite sensitive about that and wouldn't see any reason to block me or me block him. I definitely think we need time for ourselves I guess it's just hard letting it go when everything's so calm? It's much easier when there seems to be a bigger and better reason :/

Perhaps he's still hurt about you sleeping with someone. Hence the insecurities which make arguments.
Original post by Jennifer303
Perhaps he's still hurt about you sleeping with someone. Hence the insecurities which make arguments.

He is still hurting i can see that but that isn't the only reason why we argue, that's just one of them
It'scome to the end. You can't salvage anything it's run it's course. Be glad of the good times, time to seek another my child. God bless....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending