The Student Room Group

Latin at Home?

Latin really interests me, but my school doesn't offer it as an option. My mum did it at A-Level and did really well in it. She says she will teach it to me and the school will enter me for the GCSE even if I do it outside of school (which I know to be true after doing some research). Do you think I'd still be able to get an 8/9 grade if I was being taught it at home?
Have you made your first experiences with the Latin language as such? with the grammar, the vocabulary? have you the passion and the persistence to learn every single vocabular and grammar in every single detail and in complexity? even if it frustrates you now and then? if so, I would give you a chance to learn this for yourself at home and at A levels by school later on, otherwise I don't.
I did Latin as the only candidate in my school, due to the fact that I'd studied it previously. I also asked if I could do GCSE Italian, which they agreed to.

The GCSE for Latin is a LOT different to MFL, in that you have to study (A LOT OF) literature, vocabulary lists, a multitude of grammar points, etc., so be aware that it is no easy ride - in fact, it was said a few years ago to be a grade harder than the other subjects.

So, if you feel like it won't jeopardise any of your other grades and that you will be able to do it easily, then go for it.
Original post by TeenPolyglot
(...)

The GCSE for Latin is a LOT different to MFL, in that you have to study (A LOT OF) literature, vocabulary lists, a multitude of grammar points, etc., so be aware that it is no easy ride - in fact, it was said a few years ago to be a grade harder than the other subjects.

(...)

That is so true, so true! it made me crazy to learn such a lot for a subject only. :sadnod: One worse lesson after another, and at the end it ruined my results at A levels.:sigh:

That is why I warn every single students who intends to choice Latin as subject or even to learn it as preparation.
Original post by TeenPolyglot

So, if you feel like it won't jeopardise any of your other grades and that you will be able to do it easily, then go for it.

Yes, I was worried about this, but after doing some research I decided I would be most likely to do the Shortcourse GCSE, so it will be finished by the end of year 10, out of the way before my year 11 exams :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by tooschool4cool
Yes, I was worried about this, but after doing some research I decided I would be most likely to do the Shortcourse GCSE, so it will be finished by the end of year 10, out of the way before my year 11 exams :smile:

I'm pretty sure that there isn't a short course on the new spec. The only option is the full GCSE http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse-latin-j282-from-2016/
Latin is a hard language especially it's grammar but there is always a way when there is a will so I totally think you can achieve a great grade even when you learn it at home. Wish you the best 😀
Original post by Compost
I'm pretty sure that there isn't a short course on the new spec. The only option is the full GCSE http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse-latin-j282-from-2016/

Oh no !! We were looking at the old spec🤦🏻*♀️ Thank you for pointing this out, as it is a slight issue😂 I will still be studying GCSE Latin at hopefully I'll be able to take the exam in year 10 x

Quick Reply

Latest