Possible 'ghost' call. Problem with their phone or mine? Watch

Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have Honor 7. So this morning at around 6, I woke up to a Messenger call and it was from a contact I didn't even realise I had on messenger. It was someone who I contacted over a year ago to discuss buying a new phone off of them at the time. Never spoke to them since and I didn't even realise until today that he was a 'contact' still.

I rejected the call because it was so early plus I don't know him. I noticed when I looked at our chat conservation, the little bubble that comes up saying you've missed a call didn't come up. All it said was that he was online and there were no other indications that actually called.

This sounds like maybe a virus. Does it sound more like it's on his end or mine? I've run a scan and it did find one threat on mine but not a virus, just outdated security software which is now updated. I've blocked him as well just in case it happens again. It was definitely him that 'called' me as the red and green reject/accept buttons showed for me whereas they are grey buttons when you call someone and the ringing I heard was the ringing of when someone calls you. I thought maybe it was a 'ghost' call as my last phone did that once during the night while charging but called my stepdad and used my normal phone app not messenger and there was also a record there that the phone called him, albeit by accident.

I did fall asleep with a video playing on VLC and it was charging, could that played a part? If the problem is likely on my end, what can I do to prevent this from happening again? I've already went through both messenger and phonebook contacts and deleted those I don't know
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Spock's Socks)
I have Honor 7. So this morning at around 6, I woke up to a Messenger call and it was from a contact I didn't even realise I had on messenger. It was someone who I contacted over a year ago to discuss buying a new phone off of them at the time. Never spoke to them since and I didn't even realise until today that he was a 'contact' still.

I rejected the call because it was so early plus I don't know him. I noticed when I looked at our chat conservation, the little bubble that comes up saying you've missed a call didn't come up. All it said was that he was online and there were no other indications that actually called.

This sounds like maybe a virus. Does it sound more like it's on his end or mine? I've run a scan and it did find one threat on mine but not a virus, just outdated security software which is now updated. I've blocked him as well just in case it happens again. It was definitely him that 'called' me as the red and green reject/accept buttons showed for me whereas they are grey buttons when you call someone and the ringing I heard was the ringing of when someone calls you. I thought maybe it was a 'ghost' call as my last phone did that once during the night while charging but called my stepdad and used my normal phone app not messenger and there was also a record there that the phone called him, albeit by accident.

I did fall asleep with a video playing on VLC and it was charging, could that played a part? If the problem is likely on my end, what can I do to prevent this from happening again? I've already went through both messenger and phonebook contacts and deleted those I don't know
It could be a software issue? Or it just may have been a genuine accident? This does sound very, very weird to be a software issue though. I think to call it a "virus" may be a bit extreme.

It doesn't sound like an issue on your end. But in future, anyone you don't know properly as a friend, they shouldn't be a friend on your contacts :lol:
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)

It doesn't sound like an issue on your end. But in future, anyone you don't know properly as a friend, they shouldn't be a friend on your contacts :lol:

That's why I hate FB messenger, you join buy and sell groups on FB and sometimes you have to mail someone to arrange buying or selling an item and mailing them even just that one time like what I did with that contact over a year or two ago, adds them to your messenger contacts even when you aren't friends on FB and they don't make it easy to work out how to delete a Messenger contact, at least not for me

To me, messenger contacts should just be those who are your actual FB friends and anyone else you have to mail that you aren't friends with either shouldn't be listed as a contact or should be a temporary one or in a different sub area away from your actual FB friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Facebook Messenger keeps everyone you've sent a message to in the contacts, I've noticed this when contacting people about tickets etc.

I'm sure he just pressed your name by mistake or something, I can't imagine it's anything to worry about. :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (22)
25.58%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (24)
27.91%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (19)
22.09%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (7)
8.14%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (14)
16.28%

Watched Threads