uka_qwer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hi, I was just wondering how likely I am to get into imperial for biochemistry.
I am predicted 3 A's for a-level in biology, chemistry and psychology.
My GCSE's were 5 a's 6 b's with an A in maths and a b in English language.
I really want to go there, do you guys think I have a chance of getting in?
Ringstone
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by uka_qwer)
As you should be aware three A's including Chemistry and Biology satisfy the minimum published entry requirement - if you've not looked that up, maybe Imperial is not for you!
Of more potential interest to you is, having actually spoken to an Imperial admissions tutor [for integrated M.Eng], he almost wasn't interested in results - everything he sees is straight A or A*; academic excellence was taken as read. What he was really interested in was what the student would bring to the university as a community; that's what made an application stand out for him.
Discussing doing extra A levels he was more than fine with four, but five would lead him to ask "what else the student did with their life".
A university can not function as a society if all the students, however brilliant, are all locked in their room either working or playing games on the internet, there is more to life, and a university, than that.
The upshot is that a red hot personal statement evidencing not only a real interest in the subject but also a life outside the laboratory might be what tips the balance in your favour.
Just a thought.
Best of luck.
uka_qwer
Rep:
?
b
(Original post by Ringstone)
As you should be aware three A's including Chemistry and Biology satisfy the minimum published entry requirement - if you've not looked that up, maybe Imperial is not for you!
Of more potential interest to you is, having actually spoken to an Imperial admissions tutor [for integrated M.Eng], he almost wasn't interested in results - everything he sees is straight A or A*; academic excellence was taken as read. What he was really interested in was what the student would bring to the university as a community; that's what made an application stand out for him.
Discussing doing extra A levels he was more than fine with four, but five would lead him to ask "what else the student did with their life".
A university can not function as a society if all the students, however brilliant, are all locked in their room either working or playing games on the internet, there is more to life, and a university, than that.
The upshot is that a red hot personal statement evidencing not only a real interest in the subject but also a life outside the laboratory might be what tips the balance in your favour.
Just a thought.
Best of luck.
thanks. but im woried that everyone achieved nearly all a*'s in GCSE's but i got six B's.
ChinnyBonav
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't ask the opinions of human beings. Put your trust in God, ask him for advice and work hard. You'll get in dw.
uka_qwer
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChinnyBonav)
Don't ask the opinions of human beings. Put your trust in God, ask him for advice and work hard. You'll get in dw.
thank youuuu
Ringstone
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
b

thanks. but im woried that everyone achieved nearly all a*'s in GCSE's but i got six B's.
And in a shoot out on a tie on A Levels and equally brilliant personal statements that might matter - but your A Levels and statement are the headline act.
At the end of the day that's what open days are for.
Go down and talk to an admissions tutor, they're surprisingly human and up front, and you'll know exactly where you stand. You've nothing to lose.

All of which notwithstanding, a couple of lines to show you're not a total geek will stand you in good stead.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ringstone)
Just a thought.
Best of luck.
Imperial is primarily looking for academically strong candidates who are passionate about their subject.

Note the order of factors in this statement:

The most important factor in decision-making is your academic ability and potential, but Departments will try to discern your motivation to study, interest in your chosen subject area and your potential to benefit from, and contribute to, College Life.

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/selection/
Ringstone
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Imperial is primarily looking for academically strong candidates who are passionate about their subject.

Note the order of factors in this statement:

The most important factor in decision-making is your academic ability and potential, but Departments will try to discern your motivation to study, interest in your chosen subject area and your potential to benefit from, and contribute to, College Life.

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/selection/
Yep - "academic excellence was taken as read".
uka_qwer
Rep:
?
thanks guysss
Firefly13
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know someone doing Biochemistry now who has very similar grades to you, so you won't be rejected purely for that. Biochemistry/Biology aren't very popular courses at Imperial (hence why they give AAA offers, not the usually A*AA/A*A*A) so they are a bit more relaxed than other courses. Write a good personal statement and work hard and you'll be fine!

(I've just graduated from Imperial and I did Biology, but we share third year courses with the Biochemists so if you have any questions please feel free to DM me).
longsightdon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No harm in applying. With 3 As you will get offers from most other universities, so you can always gamble one option on Imperial. Biochemistry isn't a very heavily subscribed course either at Imperial.
F1 USM
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm probably no help, but I hold an offer from LSE and I can tell you that GCSE results are really not as immensely important as it's made out. I have poor GCSE's compared to everyone else, yet I got made an offer and I'm certain it was down to my personal statement, which is 10x more important. Please don't feel as if you shouldn't bother applying because you aren't confident about your GCSE'S!! Obviously lse and imperial are two different university's but they have similar grade standards, so yh hopefully I was of some help. Best of luck
Napoléon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi guys,

Anyone thinking of applying for 2018 entrant?

I am! I will apply to MSc Investment & Wealth Management.

Here my profil:

-International Student in South Africa (but I'm a Belgian citizen) in my Final year student (3rd year).

-Work experience: 2 internships of approx. 1 month each (one in corporate/financing finance and the other one in real estate but didn't really enjoy it)

-Students Clubs and Societies: former member of the student representative body (subcommittee), current finance class rep (twice in a row), vice-chair of the investment society and former member of the school's student council.

- I did one of the LSE summer school (in fact it was LSE-UCT July School 2017, in Cape Town)

-Academics: 58% overall in my first year, but did better in 2nd year (I got 75% in Finance, I think that's a First in the UK system?) and expecing a High 2:1 in Finance this year (I'm around 70%, I will try to push for a 75%).

I am not confident in my profil. I have repeated two courses in my first year. So in terms of academic, I don't know if Imperial will accept me.

What do you think guys?

Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads