Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi please can anyone here tell us a bit about a typical timetable for first year students.? Also how early do students start patient contact? How much dissection hours per week or month? A bit more detail about the integrated curriculum? TIA

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I tried calling admissions today but got no answer. On the website it states that graduates must hold a 2:1 at least.. does this mean that you can only apply after you have graduated or do they except graduates in their final year of their degree predicted a first?

Thank you!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello all

People who are currently reading a degree can apply during the final year of their degree - you need a prediction of an upper second class or first class degree. You do not have to wait until you have graduated. You also need at least BBB at A Level.

Students in the first years will spend most of most mornings in lectures, and afternoons are spent in practicals, on placement or in private study. Wednesday afternoons are kept clear in the timetable so that students can engage in social/sporting activities in the various student union societies if they wish. The early years general practice placement is launched in week 1, with the first placements in week 2. Typically 1-2 2 hour dissection classes per week. There is lots of information about our curriculum on our webpages at https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine...ctive_ug/mbchb and in our course brochure, which you can find at: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine...ve_ug/applying

Best wishes

Julian
    Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The University of Sheffield)
    Hi all. I am the Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions at Sheffield.

Having found this thread I will keep an eye on it from time to time, so that I can address any issues and correct any misunderstandings I cannot comment on individual applications here.

Having looked through the thread so far I've found a few things worth noting.

Someone wondered how we use the Personal statement. The answer is - we don't consider your personal statement. We ARE interested in the sorts of things people write about in their statements at interview (but we dont use the statement either to select who we interview or at interview).

Someone asked whether the determination of whether you get invited to interview or not depends only on the UKCAT. The answer is no. You must meet or exceed our minimum academic entry requirements and our minimum UKCAT requirement. We rank applicants who meet both thresholds on their total UKCAT score (out of 3600) to decide who to invite to interview. As you've noted, we don't know where the cut point will be until after the application deadline.

I think someone suggested that we score you on GCSE attainment, but that is not true. We do not rank applicants on academic attainment. We just look to see if you meet our minimum requirement.

We do not consider AS Levels for any applicants. For graduates we look at your A Levels and Bachelor' degree.

I am expecting that we will invite approx 1000 people in total for interview (approx 900 home and 100 international applicants).

Someone asked whether academics are taken into account at the interview stage. They are not. Your academic attainment and UKCAT get you to the interview. The interview gets you your offer (provided your reference is satisfactory). Once we have decided who we want to make offers to, we look to see if you have already completed your qualifications or not. If you have, the offer is unconditional, and if you havent, the offer is conditional on you getting AAA or better at A Level (or an upper second class Bachelors degree).

I hope that helps! Remember the admissions team in the medical school is always happy to hear from you!

Good luck!

Julian
    Director of Undergraduate Medical Admissions (Sheffield)
    Hi,
    I’m an international student from Malaysia applying to Sheffield for the 2018 intake. I have 10A*s in my IGCSEs and A levels predicted scores of 3A* and 1A. I have a rather low UKCAT score of 2490 (average 623) and SJT band 1. However I read on your website that the UKCAT cutoff score for 2018 entry was 2460/3600. Do I still stand a chance to be interviewed with such low UKCAT scores then?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys ive applied here along with Newcastle, Southampton and Nottingham.
    My stats are 6 A*5A at GCSE and a 765 Band 1 ukcat.
    Good luck to us all!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tttttgg)
    Good luck to us all!!
    Good luck to you too. Did you receive an email of acknowledgement?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to us all!!
    I’ve also applied to Sheffield and Newcastle our stats are pretty similar!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brother24)
    I received an acknowledge email on 10/10, application was sent 9/10. You?

ReputationRep:
    Are there any graduates that have applied to this course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khookie)
    I received an acknowledge email on 10/10, application was sent 9/10. You?
    No not yet but sent my application later than yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The University of Sheffield)
    Hello all

People who are currently reading a degree can apply during the final year of their degree - you need a prediction of an upper second class or first class degree. You do not have to wait until you have graduated. You also need at least BBB at A Level.

Students in the first years will spend most of most mornings in lectures, and afternoons are spent in practicals, on placement or in private study. Wednesday afternoons are kept clear in the timetable so that students can engage in social/sporting activities in the various student union societies if they wish. The early years general practice placement is launched in week 1, with the first placements in week 2. Typically 1-2 2 hour dissection classes per week. There is lots of information about our curriculum on our webpages at https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine...ctive_ug/mbchb and in our course brochure, which you can find at: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine...ve_ug/applying

Best wishes

Julian
    Thank you for your replies. It is great that you are on the forum. Please can you confirm that if I am successful in gaining an interview I will hear by the 18.11.2017 and if not it means the application was unsuccessful? This timeline is very helpful and I want to make sure I am interpreting it correctly.TIA
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Good evening all!

I can't tell you what UKCAT score you will need to meet the cut-point on ranking - as we can only rank when a) we have received all the applications and b) when we receive the UKCAT scores for all of our applicants from the UKCAT consortium. It may help you to know that we rank international applicants separately from Home/EU students (as you are competing for a different set of places).

I can confirm that we have received a number of applications from graduates (and soon to be graduates).

We expect to follow the timeline that is on our webpages. and yes - you are reading it correctly. We will also update that page when each stage has been completed. (In the unlikely event that it looks as though we will miss a deadline (and I don't anticipate at this time that we will), we will post a revised deadline.)

Best wishes, and good luck!

Julian

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, sent mine 12/10 received on 13/10

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, sent mine 12/10 received on 13/10
    Did you receive acknowledgement from UCAS or from Sheffield?

ReputationRep:
    I got an email from sheffield itself

ReputationRep:
    both

ReputationRep:
    I received an email from UCAS that they had received my application and sent it to the unis, then I got an acknowledgement email from Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    Sent application on 13/10/17 but still haven't received acknowledgement from sheffield. Is this normal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleexhunt)
    Sent application on 13/10/17 but still haven't received acknowledgement from sheffield. Is this normal?
    I'm in the same situation. I think it is normal as are applications were submitted on a Friday then it is the weekend so we won't be hearing anything till next week I presume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregor99)
    I'm in the same situation. I think it is normal as are applications were submitted on a Friday then it is the weekend so we won't be hearing anything till next week I presume.
    yup if you submitted close to the deadline it will take longer to process everything, I submitted on the 11th of October so I got a fairly quick response

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.