The Student Room Group

University / not driving for a while

I have been learning to drive since the end of July 2016, so just over a year, I'm 18. I've had almost a hundred hours of lessons. I have my test booked for the 21st of August and I start university on the 17th of September, so if I do end up failing the test, I'm going to have to pray that there is a second one open before the 17th. I've had a really bad mock test today and I'm nervous on my chances of passing.

There's no way I'll be able to afford lessons whilst at university, so I'll have to resume in May 2018. My question is, how much do you remember, is it like riding a bike? I also feel like I'm behind my friends, a lot of people seem to pass aged 17-18. I just get this feeling like I'm falling behind in life and it's not a good one. I'm maybe considering an intensive course when I get back?

I never did well at SATs/GCSEs etc. so I think the whole test/exam situation is one that makes me feel uncomfortable
Original post by theheavens
I have been learning to drive since the end of July 2016, so just over a year, I'm 18. I've had almost a hundred hours of lessons. I have my test booked for the 21st of August and I start university on the 17th of September, so if I do end up failing the test, I'm going to have to pray that there is a second one open before the 17th. I've had a really bad mock test today and I'm nervous on my chances of passing.

There's no way I'll be able to afford lessons whilst at university, so I'll have to resume in May 2018. My question is, how much do you remember, is it like riding a bike? I also feel like I'm behind my friends, a lot of people seem to pass aged 17-18. I just get this feeling like I'm falling behind in life and it's not a good one. I'm maybe considering an intensive course when I get back?

I never did well at SATs/GCSEs etc. so I think the whole test/exam situation is one that makes me feel uncomfortable

I did alright by TSR standards in my exams (so far) and I've failed one driving test already (eek!). There isn't really much of a correlation between doing well in academic exams and doing well in your driving test.

I had a break between my lessons of about two months, and I didn't seem to forget much other than the simple things like which way to push the stalk for the back wipers lmao. Not quite a year obviously but it's the best example I can give.

Please don't feel left behind, plenty of people are in your situation (including me!) and the average pass rate is less than 50% nationally (or around that number!). I've also had lessons for just ever so slightly below a year, so please don't worry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending