Msc Economics Europe Should I even apply? Watch

db7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I'm a BBA student from India, right now in third year of study at a university based in New Delhi(not Univ of Delhi).

I was planning on applying to European Universities for an Msc in Economics after I complete undergrad.

Though I'm really not keen now on doing so, after coming to know that I do not meet the minimum qualifications to enter the Msc courses in most of the top univs(not even thinking of Oxbridge, LSE etc. for that matter).

The problem is that I didn't have any Econometrics courses in the BBA I'm pursuing, though did have introductory micro & macroeconomics courses, which weren't quant heavy in themselves. I also had a few courses in statistics, linear algebra and real analysis courses when it comes to mathematics, though I'd say not much rigorous.

I recently gave the GRE, and got a 160 in quant and a 153 in the verbal sections respectively(which I'm afraid is low for economics courses in Europe, especially verbal )

Regarding my academic performance until now, I've been securing ~80% marks, which I believe translates to a UK 2:1 as per Warwick's admission guidelines(not sure though).

I also did a 3 months internship in a financial firm in which I was involved in the analysis of the cryptocurrency markets and providing consultancy on investment in upcoming Initial Coin Offerings(ICOs).

After going through the admission procedures of some of the better univs in Europe, I've come across only one univ of which I meet the min. requirements(Univ of Mannheim)

So guys, are there any other good univs which may accept my application, considering such an academic record.

Thank you and sorry for such a long post
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by db7)
Hi,

I'm a BBA student from India, right now in third year of study at a university based in New Delhi(not Univ of Delhi).

I was planning on applying to European Universities for an Msc in Economics after I complete undergrad.

Though I'm really not keen now on doing so, after coming to know that I do not meet the minimum qualifications to enter the Msc courses in most of the top univs(not even thinking of Oxbridge, LSE etc. for that matter).

The problem is that I didn't have any Econometrics courses in the BBA I'm pursuing, though did have introductory micro & macroeconomics courses, which weren't quant heavy in themselves. I also had a few courses in statistics, linear algebra and real analysis courses when it comes to mathematics, though I'd say not much rigorous.

I recently gave the GRE, and got a 160 in quant and a 153 in the verbal sections respectively(which I'm afraid is low for economics courses in Europe, especially verbal )

Regarding my academic performance until now, I've been securing ~80% marks, which I believe translates to a UK 2:1 as per Warwick's admission guidelines(not sure though).

I also did a 3 months internship in a financial firm in which I was involved in the analysis of the cryptocurrency markets and providing consultancy on investment in upcoming Initial Coin Offerings(ICOs).

After going through the admission procedures of some of the better univs in Europe, I've come across only one univ of which I meet the min. requirements(Univ of Mannheim)

So guys, are there any other good univs which may accept my application, considering such an academic record.

Thank you and sorry for such a long post
If you don't meet the academic requirements you won't be considered and unfortunately it is as simple as that. The only other piece of advice I can give you is don't try and convert your degree marks on your own. Different unis will have different ways of doing it so your bets bet is to ask each uni directly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (119)
17.68%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (71)
10.55%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (99)
14.71%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (65)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (200)
29.72%

Watched Threads