The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine 2018 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I got 8A*s, 1A and 1B at GCSE level. I just got my Maths AS level back with a 95.3% UMS average. I'm predicted 3A*s at A2. Should I even consider applying when my Sixth Form doesn't offer any other AS levels. Would that put me at a disadvantage?
Reply 21
Original post by Alexbrfc1875
I got 8A*s, 1A and 1B at GCSE level. I just got my Maths AS level back with a 95.3% UMS average. I'm predicted 3A*s at A2. Should I even consider applying when my Sixth Form doesn't offer any other AS levels. Would that put me at a disadvantage?

It's no disadvantage at all. Consider away :smile:
Reply 22

I don't know what's the best way to study for my GCSEs, would you please give me advice??

Did you take further maths as well? Did you take ed excel for maths?
Original post by OMG354
I don't know what's the best way to study for my GCSEs, would you please give me advice??

Are you just going into Y11? If so I would recommend starting revising in Feb for an hour a day and build up slowly. Make sure to have day's off though! Take your mock exams seriously, to see what you can do and make sure that you know your errors. After that all I would say is don't waste time revising stuff you already know. Be economical with your time!
Original post by crgsprisoner
Did you take further maths as well? Did you take ed excel for maths?

Didn't do Further but was encouraged to do so at the beginning of Y12. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths with Stats. And yes I did Edexcel.
Reply 26
Are you just going into Y11? If so I would recommend starting revising in Feb for an hour a day and build up slowly. Make sure to have day's off though! Take your mock exams seriously, to see what you can do and make sure that you know your errors. After that all I would say is don't waste time revising stuff you already know. Be economical with your time!

Thank you!! That was really helpful :smile:
Reply 27

Did you revise in the summer break of year 10 ???
Why does everyone get their predicted grades of their sciences subject:frown:
My school didn`t even tell us:frown:
Reply 29
Why does everyone get their predicted grades of their sciences subject:frown:
My school didn`t even tell us:frown:

"Why"? Or "when"?
Original post by OMG354
Did you revise in the summer break of year 10 ???

No if I'm being honest I refreshed and then hit the ground running in September
Original post by Doonesbury
"Why"? Or "when"?

" when" to be exact, when did you have your predicted grades for A level?
Reply 32
" when" to be exact, when did you have your predicted grades for A level?

You usually get them early next term. ie. shortly ahead of the Oxbridge/Medicine application 15th Oct deadline.

Exactly when, depends entirely on your school.
Hey guys, I've just received my A level results and my place at Cambridge for medicine has now been confirmed! If anyone has any queries about the admission process i am more than happy to give my advice.

Some info about me:

Got 7.5 A*, 1A and 1B at GCSE

Only sat 2 AS levels: 300ums in maths and 91ums in biology

Continued all 4 of my subjects (bio, chem, physics and maths) into A2. Was predicted A* in all 4
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 34
Since UMS only exists in some AS levels now and not all schools will be entering their students for AS levels in the linear specification and will instead predict grades based off mocks, what do Cambridge actually look at? Do you still have to have 90+ UMS in the AS levels you did take? (I only took maths and got 86 UMS average but my school will keep my predicted at an A* and I was predicted A*s in bio and chem as well but based off mocks).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mosam00
Since UMS only exists in some AS levels now and not all schools will be entering their students for AS levels in the linear specification and will instead predict grades based off mocks, what do Cambridge actually look at? Do you still have to have 90+ UMS in the AS levels you did take? (I only took maths and got 86 UMS average but my school will keep my predicted at an A* and I was predicted A*s in bio and them as well but based off mocks).

The 90+ UMS is just a rough estimate. They will care about your predicted grades as well as the strength of your reference. If you are not at least predicted A*A*a then you won't even get an interview
Original post by mosam00
Since UMS only exists in some AS levels now and not all schools will be entering their students for AS levels in the linear specification and will instead predict grades based off mocks, what do Cambridge actually look at? Do you still have to have 90+ UMS in the AS levels you did take? (I only took maths and got 86 UMS average but my school will keep my predicted at an A* and I was predicted A*s in bio and chem as well but based off mocks).

When a Cambridge spokesperson came to our school, they said that the UMS in any relevant and unreformed A-Level subjects would be looked at. I presume anything too low may send alarm signals but I don't think they'd expect like 90 UMS+ average and that's it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by studentsixth
When a Cambridge spokesperson came to our school, they said that the UMS in any relevant and unreformed A-Level subjects would be looked at. I presume anything too low may send alarm signals but I don't think they'd expect like 90 UMS+ average and that's it.

I only have UMS for one subject though, surely they can't just base it off that lol. What else would they look at? Tbh, I'm probably gonna apply to Oxford anyway since they look more at GCSES, but apparently Cambridge are less strict with BMAT, so I just want to know if I could still consider them.
Reply 38
Original post by mosam00
I only have UMS for one subject though, surely they can't just base it off that lol. What else would they look at? Tbh, I'm probably gonna apply to Oxford anyway since they look more at GCSES, but apparently Cambridge are less strict with BMAT, so I just want to know if I could still consider them.

Cambridge looks at everything. Holistically. So strengths in some areas can help offset weaknesses elsewhere. If you have module by module UMS in something then that's used. If you don't then you won't be disadvantaged.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mosam00

Exactly. That's why you could get away with less than 90. But I'd think that a lot of successful applicants would have 90+ in all/most relevant subjects. The BMAT is riskier when it comes to oxford. You don't get the needed score, you don't get the interview. At least in Cambridge you can make a good impression at interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending