Thrillanthropist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I hope to be able to join the Army Reserve as an Intelligence Officer when I'm older, (hopefully joining a UOTC) however, I am seriously short-sighted.

Will this be an issue for a Reserve Officer? I'd understand it to be a hindrance for a full-time PARA, but for an INT?

I read the Medical Screening document they produced, and it said that you can't join within 1 year after LASIK surgery. But what if I don't get surgery at all? My prescription is -3.75 in both eyes, and keeps on getting worse each year, but there is more short-sighted out there and I'm not classed as legally blind or anything. I wouldn't mind getting laser eye surgery, but is it an obligation?
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wasn't in the UK army, but I served 2 years as a medical assistant (even a few field missions) and I was wearing glasses, not weak either with astigmatism so it was pretty close to yours. I assume it would not be much of a problem for intelligence officer.

- You won't be fit for Lasik unless your prescription stop changing for at least two years (even not for the better).
- You are not considered legally blind because with your correction you see well enough, probably even 6/6.
- Even 1 year after the Lasik your vision can change. Lasik can make near vision or computer vision a bit worse, so I don't recommend you Lasik if you suffer from loss of focus for up-close with your glasses or if you suffer from dry eyes.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was RAF Int. I'm a glasses wearer. Unlikely to be an issue, so long as your colour vision and stereoscopic vision is good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (365)
59.06%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.34%
No- I want it (175)
28.32%
No- I don't want it (45)
7.28%

Watched Threads