Second degree (part-time) maintenance loans 2018/19

Watch
poozy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
There is now tuition fee funding for second degree (ELQ) students taking a part-time STEM course from 2017-2018. They have also announced an extension of maintenance loans to part-time students also starting 2018-19. Does anyone know if the maintenance loans will also be available to part-time second degree (ELQ) students also, as the tuition fee loans are from this year?
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by poozy)
There is now tuition fee funding for second degree (ELQ) students taking a part-time STEM course from 2017-2018. They have also announced an extension of maintenance loans to part-time students also starting 2018-19. Does anyone know if the maintenance loans will also be available to part-time second degree (ELQ) students also, as the tuition fee loans are from this year?
Hi this is not correct

Student finance have not announced maintenance loans for 18/19 yet and no information for 18/19 gets officially released until early next year.

There is no maintenance loan for any part time student (for SFE) right now.
elorajay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Part-time maintenance loans have been announced by the government for part-time student in 2018/19 and if you look at this document here: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._response_.pdf It states:'13.The maintenance loan will be available to individuals starting Equivalent or Lower Qualification (ELQ) in all STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths) subject areas in line with existing Regulations'.
poozy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you both, I wonder if you could help further?

I went to university fresh out of college (pre-2012) and got student finance loans for tuition and maintenance for a couple of years (I think 2, possibly 3) but did not complete the full time undergrad, and dropped out as I did not want to do it. I later done a 4 year undergrad part-time whilst working and finished this - this was pre-2012 and I received grants to pay the fees due to low household income etc.

I want to go back to study another degree part-time to start a change of career, this is on an ELQ exempt, STEM subject - so I know tuition fee funding is available from this year (2017-18) for second degree students...and possibly from next year (2018-19) maintenance loans for part-time (second degree) students (if the government consultation is followed up on) may be available.

My question(s) is: How is the funding entitlement calculated? In normal circumstances, If I had just done a 3 year undergraduate degree and received loans, and then wanted to do the ELQ exempt degree part time this year - I understand that I would get tuition fee funding. However, I received a couple of years full-time loan funding in the degree I did not complete, and for my part-time degree - I received non-repayable grants which appear on my university fees statement as LEA AWARD (Local Education Authority). Does this LEA Award come out of the student finance allowance? Is part time funding classed as separate? - I rang SFE and they advised me hat they give part-time funding for a maximum of 16 years... Not entirely sure how that works?

Essentially can anyone answer if, I will I be able to get funding for tuition fees etc. to start a part-time ELQ exempt STEM degree part-time from next year, based on what I have received already (as above) and based on the full-time / part-time funding schemes etc. Thanks!
Bongo Bongo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm in a similar position to the OP and was wondering if, if you've used the full four years of student finance in your first undergraduate degree can you still get funding to pay for the full (part time, stem subject) second degree from sfe?Thanks guys.
Rona SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=Bongo Bongo;77012660]I'm in a similar position to the OP and was wondering if, if you've used the full four years of student finance in your first undergraduate degree can you still get funding to pay for the full (part time, stem subject) second degree from sfe?Thanks guys.[/QUOT

Hi Bongo Bongo,

You can be confident that you could be eligible to receive support for a second qualification, if you are studying for a part time Honours Degree, Joint Honours Degree or Integrated Masters Degree in one of the STEM subjects.

For new part-time students from 2018/19 academic year, both a Tuition Fee Loan and the Maintenance Loan will be available.

The amount of Maintenance Loan will be determined by 3 things:

• Where you are living/studying
  • Household income
  • Intensity of study

Thanks Rona
Wizadora26
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi
I previously studied a BA (Hons) course and graduated in 1995 prior to student loans. I then undertook a PGCCE in 2000. Does anyone know whether I would be able to apply for an get further funding through the Student loans system?

I hope to study a Bsc in Counselling & Psychotherapy this year at the Sherwood Institute in Nottingham.
Waqarbhatti
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi will maintenane loan or grant availabe for part time 2nd degree in BSc mathematics
JennyGene
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...0180137_en.pdf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.62%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (351)
29.15%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.67%

Watched Threads