The Student Room Group

My biggest worry about going to Uni (not a common one... i think)?

Background detail (can skip):
I spent 2 months on a business studies course at a low ranked uni (if the term business studies wasn't a good enough hint) and I really just did not enjoy it. Long story short I left and felt great when I did.
I decided to apply for something very different... Game design (with a foundation year). I have been doing this sort of thing as a hobby throughout secondary school to an extent and it is something that I love doing despite dealing with mental illness.

Anyways most students starting on the 3 year course have gone to college to do a game related course and are quite familiar with it all. I'm doing a foundation year though... I'm really hoping me being relatively new to the subject software etc won't be too much of an issue. The Game Design FDA course leaders told me you don't need any prior experience but I'm concerned that the other students... even though they are doing the foundation year will be miles ahead of me and people may be looking at my work for instance and wondering why I'm there. I don't know how i will compare to them. I've spent most of my time designing video games/mods through sandbox games etc.

EDIT: With Business studies... I mean it was relatively common sense. There was no skill to it... simply a matter of reading and doing the work.

TLDR:
I'm doing a foundation year at a low rank university (but it is good for the subject) doing Game Design. I'm worried people on the course will be far better and will ask me why I'm even there if they think I'm just not cut out for it.
I'm hoping people will be too worried about their own **** to care. Anyways I just hope It doesn't effect me making friendships etc.
(edited 6 years ago)
I have the same concern dude, I'm also studying game design and development. I only did a foundation year in art and design but I managed to get in through clearing, meaning I have no experience in game design. But listen dude I'm sure you'll be fine, most people who like games enough to take a course about them are really cool people, and they can be very willing to help you. Some of my friends are doing different games related courses at a different university and they're the most helpful people I know, so I'm sure you'll meet some great people
Nobody at Uni will ever question why you're there, they'll worry about their own ****.
One of my friends who's done the whole uni thing at Newcastle University said that people tend to do their own thing, and it's a huge no no to ask what grades people have got etc unless they're your friends. So from my understanding people are less concerned about your work and just focus on their own :smile:

Don't worry though, I feel similarly about my course that I'm starting in September, if the teacher said you need no prior knowledge, then accept that, because by the end of it, you'll be at the same level as everyone else (if the lecturers/tutors are worth their salt)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
1. No one will really see your work unless you show them. So no one will be judging what you do.
2. Its a foundation year. Its (probably) designed for people who have the potential, but not the knowledge. I doubt you will start on topics that require you to have a lot of prior knowledge.
3. Universities don't typically admit students just for the sake of it (as far as I'm aware). You would have been offered a place because they believe you are capable of completing the course.
4. If there is work that you don't understand or arent up to the same standard as some others, which there certainly will be at some point during your 4 years at university, then you will simply have to study harder. Its not realistic to believe that you will be top of the class for all modules. Some areas you will have to study more than others.

I studied Economics and Finance. I barely knew what economics was before I started at uni. Just have to get your head down and learn.
can you share what uni ur doing game design at? I am really interested to know
Original post by James385
I spent 2 months on a business studies course at a low ranked uni (if the term business studies wasn't a good enough hint) and I really just did not enjoy it. Long story short I left and felt great when I did.
I decided to apply for something very different... Game design (with a foundation year). I have been doing this sort of thing as a hobby throughout secondary school to an extent and it is something that I love doing despite dealing with mental illness.

Anyways most students starting on the 3 year course have gone to college to do a game related course and are quite familiar with it all. I'm doing a foundation year though... I'm really hoping me being relatively new to the subject software etc won't be too much of an issue. The Game Design FDA course leaders told me you don't need any prior experience but I'm concerned that the other students... even though they are doing the foundation year will be miles ahead of me and people may be looking at my work for instance and wondering why I'm there. I don't know how i will compare to them. I've spent most of my time designing video games/mods through sandbox games etc.

EDIT: With Business studies... I mean it was relatively common sense. There was no skill to it... simply a matter of reading and doing the work.

TLDR:
I'm doing a foundation year at a low rank university (but it is good for the subject) doing Game Design. I'm worried people on the course will be far better and will ask me why I'm even there if they think I'm just not cut out for it.
I'm hoping people will be too worried about their own **** to care. Anyways I just hope It doesn't effect me making friendships etc.

if the course didn't have any subject-specific requirements for A-level then you will be completely fine, especially with the foundation year. Also I don't think being at a low-ranked uni is really a problem in the game-design industry as much as it would be in others such as economics - employers aren't as snobby and you can really express your ability through outside projects and interests along with the degree. Also, how well others are doing doesn't directly affect your grade like it does in the USA so even if they are doing better, as long as you keep your work on track there isn't any worries. I dont see any reason why they wouldnt be friends with you either, you seem like an alright guy just from this post alone lol
Reply 7
Thanks a lot for the great messages I will be sure to reread them coming up to the start date :biggrin:. And yeah with that industry i don't think the ranking is something people would look at. It is really down to your portfolio and evidence that you can work with a team (which is easy enough to accomplish while going to university)... oh and especially considering there are modules i believe designated to student group projects.

And with the whole it being 'low ranked' I'm just thinking that it should be a university where people won't be too uptight or too proud about their own achievements (which is not a bad thing unless that mindset makes you look down on others)... at Roehampton for example (low ranked as well) there wasn't really any arrogance around academic achievement... just a lot of weed smoking.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by RegrettingAS
can you share what uni ur doing game design at? I am really interested to know

Staffordshire University (From what I've heard there are like 1k game course students... there are i think 8-12 different 'game' related courses).
They seem to be great regarding Game courses and they have received a lot of investment from EPIC Games... the new computer rooms/facilities etc are amazing. And the main campus has very recently improved the facilities with new buildings etc. Maybe it's just me but if a place is quite run down it does make things that more gloomy... when i went on my open day everything was very nicely painted etc. Some unis have listed buildings of which some are ugly but can't be changed. Staffordshire has a nice modern look.
(edited 6 years ago)
You'd be surprised how many people on the course will have no idea about the basic concepts of the course. There will be some, they'll probably be on the top of the class throughout the the course, however plenty will have little or no experience. Just work hard the nail down the basics of it during the foundation year and year 1. So long as you nail down the basics, you can easily build on it in years 2 and 3 to get a really good portfolio by the end.
Staffordshire University (From what I've heard there are like 1k game course students... there are i think 8-12 different 'game' related courses).
They seem to be great regarding Game courses and they have received a lot of investment from EPIC Games... the new computer rooms/facilities etc are amazing. And the main campus has very recently improved the facilities with new buildings etc. Maybe it's just me but if a place is quite run down it does make things that more gloomy... when i went on my open day everything was very nicely painted etc. Some unis have listed buildings of which some are ugly but can't be changed. Staffordshire has a nice modern look.

What a coincidence haha, I live in stoke on Trent so staffs uni is on my door step, many of my friends are going there for games courses. Don't worry about it, it's a great university the staff and local people are very helpful. And as for the games course, it's games design course specifically is considered to be the best in the UK, so the teachers there would be very helpful I should imagine
Reply 11
I was impressed with Staffs Uni too. I like a uni that has invested and has something to prove. If other people are on a foundation year they will be on it for a reason, some of them may be ahead of you in some areas but you will all catch up where you need to and learn from each other.

TLDR:

You could not be more wrong about your worry everyone worries that they won't be good enough or they don't have the skills in effect "what if it's too hard". it will be hard but you've done some of it before you'll start from the beginning what your doing or have done will put you at n advantage and unis do start from the beginning and i mean the very beginning, my first week i had lectures (I did electronics) on ohms law and the resistor colour code don't worry you will be ok.
Reply 13
Thanks again all. The great thing about the foundation is of course it being a beginner course but also you only need 40% to pass (which is the same setup as 1 year 1 of the degree. Don't get me wrong I will try to learn and improve as much as i can but it shouldn't be in a too high pressure environment.
I thought I wasn't "good enough" to go to uni not because I wasn't clever enough, once you're in you're in, I thought they'd all be rich kids and me being quite poor. Which was silly, but it was part of the reason I faltered.

TLDR:

Hey James! It sounds like you've already been given some great advice from the other replies to this thread, but I thought I would jump in anyway 😄 I recently graduated from Staffs, and am returning to do a Masters in Health Psych in September. I can't say for sure what your course, and new course mates, are going to be like in terms of the type of person attracted to those courses, but from my experience, doing a foundation year really doesn't matter to anyone. I took a standard 3 year course, and met a few people who joined us after having done a foundation year, one of which went on to get the best grade in our group when she graduated. I get the sense that when you're on a foundation year, there is more emphasis on supporting one another and bringing everyone up to the same level. Who knows, maybe there is something you do that others don't that you can contribute to the course?

As for Staffs itself, even if for whatever reason you don't get along with your course mates (which I doubt highly), there are plenty of clubs, societies, and liberation networks to get involved with, and be a part of. As former manager and founder of the Marvel Society, I would check them out when you get there 😉 If you have any questions about being at Staffordshire Uni, please feel free to ask me anything!!
I study at Staffordshire University although I do a healthcare course. At university people come from different backgrounds and thus have different experiences. From my experience there hasn't been any negativity because of this but it has rather helped us to bond more, especially when doing group work as people can bring different skills to the table. Staffs is such a friendly uni and therefore your 'lack' of experience should not stop you having a good experience!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending