The Student Room Group

"Poor exam marking could see A grade answers be given an E"

Scroll to see replies

bro we're already stressed allow it pleeeeaaaaase
Reply 2
lol sucks to be a current A-level student... luckily those days are long behind me :lol:
Original post by hamzakalinle
bro we're already stressed allow it pleeeeaaaaase

Lmao 😂😂
bruv that's bull, why is it that I have to pay the examiners to remark my work and IF they find out they "made a mistake", I only get the money I paid for. Some examiners need to get slapped up, I'm taking a gamble here by giving them my money, watch once they have to start giving their own money to students they nearly ****ed up then watch they'll be more careful.
(edited 6 years ago)

He'll have a field day with this thread.
I like how the headline gives the most extreme example...

"Last year saw 16,030 A-level papers bumped up one grade for example, from a D to C. But in up to five cases it increased by four grades potentially producing a rise from an E to an A."

Yeah - Scare everyone in the headline but then bury the crucial stats mid-way knowing that most people will ignore it. Great journalism.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Cow

Last year saw 16,030 A-level papers bumped up one grade for example, from a D to C. But in up to five cases it increased by four grades potentially producing a rise from an E to an A.

Lol ikr rather fantastical, still one grade missing isn't ideal either if you have a very high offer.
Original post by Dwarf-Shortage
Lol ikr rather fantastical, still one grade missing isn't ideal either if you have a very high offer.

Very true indeed.
PRSOM btw.
Sensationalist articles regarding results are always written at this time of year. And it is the daily mail, so just ignore it.
Reply 12

"Last year saw 16,030 A-level papers bumped up one grade for example, from a D to C. But in up to five cases it increased by four grades potentially producing a rise from an E to an A."

Yeah - Scare everyone in the headline but then bury the crucial stats mid-way knowing that most people will ignore it. Great journalism.

PRSOM.

But is it so surprising? Their headline sounds much more outrageous so it's more likely to get views.

Would you read an article that had this headline: '5 out of 7.7 million scripts were bumped up four grades.'?
(edited 6 years ago)
"Changes of 2 or more grades are very rare, amounting to only around 400 in over 7.7m grades in 2016"

enough said there
Very true indeed.
PRSOM btw.

You too.
Imagine being one of those 5 on track for an A and get an E,I'd cry
This isn helping my anxiety.
Original post by Desmos
PRSOM.

But is it so surprising? Their headline sounds much more outrageous so it's more likely to get views

True - I expect nothing less from the Daily ****rag. Clickbaiting *******s.

Then again it seems like most news outlets do this these days D:
Original post by Dwarf-Shortage
You too.
Imagine being one of those 5 on track for an A and get an E,I'd cry

The school would probably pay for a remark themselves tbh.
Original post by Kravence
"Changes of 2 or more grades are very rare, amounting to only around 400 in over 7.7m grades in 2016"

enough said there

Wouldn't say that if you were one of the 400 whose A became a C?

Yes I'm playing devil's advocate,I'm bored
My point isn't that current students waiting for results should be worried (they shouldn't these cases are rare), just that there's something quite wrong in the marking or grade processing system if it's even possible to mismark by 40%

Quick Reply

Latest